For the pigeon boys

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

The bops will only weed out the weak an do your job for you if ye serious, atleast that’s what I was brought up getting told? get em out,  if you wanna bird to sit indoors an look at get a canary my ole uncle’s used to say, if it gets caught by a hawk or another dooman it’s not one you want back anyways ?

I live alongside the m5 on the edge of a massive industrial estate and I could walk to at least 10 perigrine nests the furthest being  about 7milles away probably a simular number I’m not personally aware of, they also hunt all night due to the amount of light pollution so you would need an absolute Rambo of a pigeon to get through that lot unscathed ?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never kept them but a few mates da’s and granda’s did..., and a load of men in the surrounding schemes. Remember playing football on Sunday mornings and there’s be loads of doos in the sky. Another wo

Few pics of the young birds

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Folk do so it’s happening mate, I get sent vids all time of birds evading the falcons, why ain’t the feral pigeons extinct ?? Yeah they will catch some, but the good uns will get away most the time an once they passed there genes into the yb’s who cares if the falcon gets em? Breed an fly more birds to take the losses into consideration ?? some t he m fancy pigeons I understand as they can’t fly for toffee but the smaller birds that are out all time have just got the play the game, it’s nature ?

It’s the ferals  near me that attract them but there are so many they will never really put a dent in them, I can go in the garden most days and see peregrines circling right up high even see them drop into stoop quite often, think your right when you say the better birds will escape but when I was a younger man there were no peregrines so it was a predator they had no defence against  , as generations go on they will inevitably learn to avoid them to a degree, the same thing is happening with otters and course fish , it will take a few generations of fish to learn that otters are dangerous, ??

• Like 1
1 hour ago, peterhunter86 said:

IMG_20200129_142628.jpg

IMG_20200129_142919.jpgt

Very tidy mate, never been into pigeons but remember the set ups the old boys used to have on their pens (allotments) world away.

Remember always used to see a pigeon wagon going away  from my town when I was a kid.

Cheers, D.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Very tidy mate, never been into pigeons but remember the set ups the old boys used to have on their pens (allotments) world away.

Remember always used to see a pigeon wagon going away  from my town when I was a kid.

Cheers, D.

They belong to my younger brother pal, he has a couple of cracking lofts, I'll get some better pics up

• Like 1
19 hours ago, dytkos said:

Cheers, D.

Mate of mine has some good distance birds only enters the long races 500 miles plus France think he flown some from Spain too got to take your hat off to them takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get them right think the Chinese are into the pigeon racing big time as well now mad money changing hands 

• Like 2
On 29/01/2020 at 18:15, pengelli said:

Katchum was that the doo shop upstairs from the pet shop at park head cross used to go to the doo sales there on a Sunday me and a mate looking for big pouter hens happy days?

When I used to go to Celtic often , I used to get orders from the lads here to go pick up young uns  , or drop ones off . 

If I had the time or the space I’d be back at the pigeons bother. 

Loved every minute of my childhood at the loft or doing that  thing only pigeon men do where they see a loft and knock to see them 

• Like 2

My first pair of pigeons were big daft looking things, think they were called dragoons but I might be wrong. 

My dad kept rollers and some high fliers that I'm sure we're called cumlets? He also had some tiny things with little beaks. 

We also had a gay pair of pigeons, they even looked gay with little curls all over em, think they were called frill backs.

I keep thinking I'll get some Birmingham rollers again one day 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

My first pair of pigeons were big daft looking things, think they were called dragoons but I might be wrong. 

My dad kept rollers and some high fliers that I'm sure we're called cumlets? He also had some tiny things with little beaks. 

We also had a gay pair of pigeons, they even looked gay with little curls all over em, think they were called frill backs.

I keep thinking I'll get some Birmingham rollers again one day 

The ones with the little beaks could of been Chinese or African owls or figaritas 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...