For the pigeon boys

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never kept them but a few mates da’s and granda’s did..., and a load of men in the surrounding schemes. Remember playing football on Sunday mornings and there’s be loads of doos in the sky. Another wo

Few pics of the young birds

Posted Images

Never kept them but a few mates da’s and granda’s did..., and a load of men in the surrounding schemes. Remember playing football on Sunday mornings and there’s be loads of doos in the sky. Another working man’s pastime that’s dying out. Sad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Never raced pigeons but used to have a loft as a kid, had tumblers and rollers...plus some smart looking fan tails etc...

Hand reared a bird taking off the hen (was a good race bird) as a chick, called her Bo... my old man used to take the ferals out of the old buildings in town when he was a kid for his loft.... wish I'd got into the racing back then as a good mate of mine was in the local club and ended up running it years later....no time for it now... wouldnt mind a couple of doves around the place or some fan tails in a cote

4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Down to one mate I always try an keep best an jist now I’m back down to one cock bird( doo) an a roller hen for company till I get another hen bred off an uncle ??61253237-D84C-4374-AC1A-2C93C820BBCD.jpeg.230a37adb69109705f67cf71fced5b55.jpeg

DD3199AD-1C3C-4801-9C7C-A1B80876CD2C.jpeg

I like the rollers, had some good ones over the years, never really into the fancy ones had the odd one over the years, I was more into the normal tumblers, what do the doos fly like, how's the roller for performing, me brother got into racing he has some really good breeding, he keeps asking me to go in with him, I'm not into the racing 

9 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Never raced pigeons but used to have a loft as a kid, had tumblers and rollers...plus some smart looking fan tails etc...

Hand reared a bird taking off the hen (was a good race bird) as a chick, called her Bo... my old man used to take the ferals out of the old buildings in town when he was a kid for his loft.... wish I'd got into the racing back then as a good mate of mine was in the local club and ended up running it years later....no time for it now... wouldnt mind a couple of doves around the place or some fan tails in a cote

I had a couple of Indian fantails a couple of years back, nice around the garden 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Tried to set up the son of an old pal of mine with pigeons but he gave up on them when his birds kept getting massacred by Sparrowhawks.....so he got a Sparrowhawk instead ?

The return of the peregrine falcon round here ended the pigeon loft era, 

18 hours ago, Dougal McGuire said:

didnt we all lol all part his training

Katchum was that the doo shop upstairs from the pet shop at park head cross used to go to the doo sales there on a Sunday me and a mate looking for big pouter hens happy days?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Still only 15 quid a pair I’m sure unless your after some fancy Spanish birds or summat ? I stayed just up the road aswell so even as a we we used to go down, if there was any birds thats didn’t look the part an where left over we used get me for nowt ? like somebody said at the weekends when we were kids we didn’t the internet to keep us busy we were busy going from street to street watching the birds graft an tackle ?

Aye mate to be honest the guy that sold us it probably seen us coming??Aye definetly better days made our own entertainment