Feathered Game

33 minutes ago, Balaur said:

A mate down here went out to follow the hunt on moors , said Charlie came out of nowhere and his dog mullered it, he didn't hang about to see the hounds.....

I was out wi beagles wi me old man and a hare had been hunted for a few circuits the soil was starting to stick 2 her feet old chap when a lurcher appeared and killed it the huntsman wasn't over the moon but he shook hands wi the guy and the lad gave the hare 2 the hounds

12 year old neck was delighted at seeing that?

Edited by Black neck
Spelling
  • Haha 5

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like you are going to have some great fun Billy.. Very few of us live on farms, and have free access to a multitude of domestic critters...but, I have found over the years, that if you hav

Dogs should now the difference between what’s on and what’s off the menu. 

Been out with a few lads who don't need too stockbreak their dogs because of the ground they run... Personally I can't be doing with having ? in my arse, wondering what's over the next brow... I stock

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, poxon said:

some Paying guns I’ve been told don’t like to see running dogs get any action but I’ve been told a few like a glorious sight of a lurcher in action retrieve shot hare an fox it was the highlight of the day but yeah dogs running deer on a shoot day by accident is looked on dimly 

Deer ,are a right pain when you are beating with the dogs, on a pheasant shoot..;)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Deer ,are a right pain when you are beating with the dogs, on a pheasant shoot..;)

The last shoot I beated on,  deer came out of all drives but one.. I’ve never seen so many. And we didn’t even beat any woodlands, just cover crops and dyke bottoms. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Billy no mates said:

I want to take a lurcher beating..so he will need to hunt pheasants to flush them. While im there I want to get a run or two at groundgame ( animals with fur ) which are of no interest to the guns..thats the plan..

My bad bud, from your first post I thought you wanted to get in with the keeper then have his pants down when his back was turned which gets everyone who wants a bit of beating a bad name. Enjoy working your dog in whatever way.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, poxon said:

Its not hard at all your right fella there?? but some guys have never needed stock broken dogs so it’s not really a must as such unless your working dogs around stock Then it’s a must obviously But like I said we never needed stock broken dogs we had some good pre ban dogs that were used for a bit of everything  but some lads still don’t need stock broken but back then because there is no stock an still isn’t on that land for miles around to worry about an or the dogs to worry lol but like I’ve said I got really lucky with my old collie x she was sound round stock although never being formally stock broken she was fine lamping through sheep the remainder of her career the bitch I have now she’s broken to stock only because I need her to be but if I didn’t work her through stock or lived all around stock I wouldn’t of needed her stock broken if I still lived at the old place still I’m in the opinion of if you work around stock it’s a must but if there’s no stock on your land or your never going to work a dog round any stock it’s pointless teaching it it’s like most people learning languages at school most will never use it

Personally I want everything stock broken. I go on invites in different parts of the country and don't want to let myself or my host down. Same as i want dogs to be comfortable staying in a strange house or kennel happily or even the motor overnight.

I guess different things are important to different people depending on what you expect to do with your dogs.

• Like 6

It’s easy to break a dog to chickens and it still hunt feather. However when ratting around release pens and flight ponds my dogs knew not to touch the chicken like  pheasants and ducks in that situation but out hunting they did take gamebirds fairly regularly. On some terrain a lurcher will take gamebirds by pegging or on the rise which is no big deal and it isn’t surprising really when you think how many are taken by unsteady gundogs. 

Far be it from me to stick my nose in but if I got another lurcher and wanted to bring it along shooting I reckon I'd want it broke to all game birds. Let the big dog concentrate on the quarry it's made for and not charge about mugging off birds, if ya get me?

A bull cross knocking about the line with the spaniels, that's totally broke to feather, on the right kind of shoot, could make for the occasional bit of sport.

Just a thought.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, poxon said:

some Paying guns I’ve been told don’t like to see running dogs get any action but I’ve been told a few like a glorious sight of a lurcher in action retrieve shot hare an fox it was the highlight of the day but yeah dogs running deer on a shoot day by accident is looked on dimly 

Depends on the shoot I would say lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Far be it from me to stick my nose in but if I got another lurcher and wanted to bring it along shooting I reckon I'd want it broke to all game birds. Let the big dog concentrate on the quarry it's made for and not charge about mugging off birds, if ya get me?

A bull cross knocking about the line with the spaniels, that's totally broke to feather, on the right kind of shoot, could make for the occasional bit of sport.

Just a thought.

Did wonder if thats the way to go myself...