Feathered Game

3 hours ago, Billy no mates said:

Perhaps a little harsh ..? . The shoot in question is a farmers shoot , the landowner and guns are my peers and will have no problem with me getting a run or two at groundgame disturbed by the beaters...game that you just wouldnt see without the beaters. So it would be useful if he will hunt feather but I dont want him chasing my chucks all day.

Sounds like you are going to have some great fun Billy..:victory:

Very few of us live on farms, and have free access to a multitude of domestic critters...but, I have found over the years, that if you have a good bond with your lurchers, they pretty soon twig on to what is on the menu, and what isn't:nono:

Obviously, some lurcher types are more driven than others, in fact, I've been out with a few jukels that were a bit of a liability. 

I only need a quiet wee thing, but even a whippet-sized lurcher can have a crack at forbidden beasts,..so you have to familiarise a young dog with various situations, as much as is possible.

The best way, is to get them out early (straight after the jabs)...show them the world that they will be living in...:thumbs:

Honey February 2006 12 weeks 005_edited-2.jpg

http://www.chalkwarren.co.uk/

• Like 11

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like you are going to have some great fun Billy.. Very few of us live on farms, and have free access to a multitude of domestic critters...but, I have found over the years, that if you hav

Dogs should now the difference between what’s on and what’s off the menu. 

Been out with a few lads who don't need too stockbreak their dogs because of the ground they run... Personally I can't be doing with having ? in my arse, wondering what's over the next brow... I stock

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, poxon said:

Should! but not everyone has access to live stock it’s a hard thing to accomplish if you don’t keep stock your self no farmer i  know is going to let random lurcher lads among there stock unless your in the farmers pocket or he’s in yours .some will  never need a dog stock broken to sheep ,cattle etc I went for years without stock breaking my dogs to farm stock as it wasn’t needed I only needed a dog broken to chickens an ferrets that were my own were I used to live every direction you went in was arible land as far as the eye could see it was all permitted an still is you didn’t even need a dog that could jump farm gates because there wasn’t any to jump  ??‍♂️ The only gate there was was at the farm house with a gap so a dog could walk straight through  My old bitch I never stock broke she was a collie x she learned on the job at about 4 was the first time she see sheep On a new spot we’d picked up she never had no interest in them I got lucky with her she wasn’t a silly dog she knew what was expected of her an they wasn’t our target her daughter the bitch I run now was stock broken but luckily for me I got in with a decent farmer who’s keen for me to take care of things on his land where I now moved to I’m one of them types only teach a dog what’s needed it’s pointless teaching something that’s not going to be used at all. I had a load of people give me some shit on a fb group when I said about not stock breaking my dogs to farm animals bar the chickens the only come back I got was what if you go on a night out to someone else’s land ......but I didnt  need to I had enough land to go at I could of lamp 7 nights a week if I wanted to why would I of needed to go on a night out on other people’s land my money was always on people that press so hard over the Internet about a dog needing to be stock broken as a must that there own dogs wasn’t exactly stock broken there selfs but it sounded good to the Internet audience I’m met a few of these types of dudes in my time 

Its just common sense to me to walk a dog through Sheep or Cattle a few times its not hard and there is no magic involved  and it's such a small thing to do but if you are too idle to do it one day it will bite you in the arse

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

None my dogs would dream a touchin me pigeons but all retrieve shot woodies, none touch chooks but will pheasant of told to, dogs ain’t daft ??

What pigeons you got Katchum. 

Tumblers is it.. 

2 hours ago, micky said:

Its just common sense to me to walk a dog through Sheep or Cattle a few times its not hard and there is no magic involved  and it's such a small thing to do but if you are too idle to do it one day it will bite you in the arse

Its not hard at all your right fella there?? but some guys have never needed stock broken dogs so it’s not really a must as such unless your working dogs around stock Then it’s a must obviously But like I said we never needed stock broken dogs we had some good pre ban dogs that were used for a bit of everything  but some lads still don’t need stock broken but back then because there is no stock an still isn’t on that land for miles around to worry about an or the dogs to worry lol but like I’ve said I got really lucky with my old collie x she was sound round stock although never being formally stock broken she was fine lamping through sheep the remainder of her career the bitch I have now she’s broken to stock only because I need her to be but if I didn’t work her through stock or lived all around stock I wouldn’t of needed her stock broken if I still lived at the old place still I’m in the opinion of if you work around stock it’s a must but if there’s no stock on your land or your never going to work a dog round any stock it’s pointless teaching it it’s like most people learning languages at school most will never use it

7 hours ago, Billy no mates said:

Perhaps a little harsh ..? . The shoot in question is a farmers shoot , the landowner and guns are my peers and will have no problem with me getting a run or two at groundgame disturbed by the beaters...game that you just wouldnt see without the beaters. So it would be useful if he will hunt feather but I dont want him chasing my chucks all day.

The landowner and guns are happy for you to hunt the birds with a running dog?

3 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

The landowner and guns are happy for you to hunt the birds with a running dog?

So long as the birds are driven forward over the guns they arnt worried what type of dog has flushed them...my welsh collie is exellent at the job.. A sharp lurcher may indeed catch one or two birds but so do some of the traditional beating dogs.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Billy no mates said:

So long as the birds are driven forward over the guns they arnt worried what type of dog has flushed them...my welsh collie is exellent at the job.. A sharp lurcher may indeed catch one or two birds but so do some of the traditional beating dogs.

So you want a lurcher for beating? I thought you wanted one to intentionally catch pheasants.

Been out with a few lads who don't need too stockbreak their dogs because of the ground they run... Personally I can't be doing with having ? in my arse, wondering what's over the next brow... I stockbreak all my dogs from pups, lucky because we keep a few horses and there's sheep, fowl, cows etc on the farm. Some dogs need reaffirming on a regular basis..... My current lurcher bitch is one?IMG-20180915-WA0004.jpg.520e72142eddfca311333bfbec85b801.jpgIMG-20180915-WA0013.jpg.870d77c03a843b41d057943bd887ba0d.jpg

• Like 7
21 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

So you want a lurcher for beating? I thought you wanted one to intentionally catch pheasants.

I want to take a lurcher beating..so he will need to hunt pheasants to flush them. While im there I want to get a run or two at groundgame ( animals with fur ) which are of no interest to the guns..thats the plan..

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Billy no mates said:

I want to take a lurcher beating..so he will need to hunt pheasants to flush them. While im there I want to get a run or two at groundgame ( animals with fur ) which are of no interest to the guns..thats the plan..

Guns will be impressed when a roe buck breaks cover being persuade by a lurcher?go down like a fart in a phone box ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Daniel cain said:

Guns will be impressed when a roe buck breaks cover being persuade by a lurcher?go down like a fart in a phone box ?

some Paying guns I’ve been told don’t like to see running dogs get any action but I’ve been told a few like a glorious sight of a lurcher in action retrieve shot hare an fox it was the highlight of the day but yeah dogs running deer on a shoot day by accident is looked on dimly