American bowfishing

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry for the quality of this picture.My father shot this with a bow.Then we pulled the string and came right to us at which point I harpooned him(mop handle with broadhead attached) It was attached t

I hope this is the right place to post this.I bowfish during spring and summer in the same swamps I dig in the winter.Hope y'all enjoy.

There is guides you can hire.I think it's around $2000.I would recommend a saltwater bowfishing trip if any of y'all ever travel to Florida it's roughly $100 per person all gear provided.Stingray are

Posted Images

I bowfish 3 times a week February through August.I shoot some othertimes.It doesn't harm the population.They have tournaments in my area where thousands will be weighed in then they are tossed on a field for fertilizer.I use a lamp attached to a large marine battery.Also I have led barlights around boat.They were originally designed for off road use.Also I shoot some fish during the day but it takes skill to look through 2 foot of muddy water to see a fish.We also shoot common carp like y'all have but they are smaller and slower usually.

• Like 1

Any pics of your bow set up.

Sound like great sport. Do you do any other type of bow hunting. 

You don't realise how lucky you can bow  hunt.  As k.w. said, you would be executed on the spot over here.

Atb j 

The best part of bowfishing is it can be done cheap.You do not need an expensive bow.Mine is over 20 years old and has been abused and submerged in the ocean a few times.Its a youth bow which I like best because when you're holding a lamp with your right hand steering the boat with your knee and holding bow in your left hand then you want it to be light.My entire family can shoot like Robin hood except me.I am the black sheep of the family.They all deer hunt but I don't.My father shoots a long bow like the Indians used.If a fish pulls all of the line out of my bottle reel then the float will come off and you have to chase it down.Usually that's for stingrays or alligator but sometimes you get a fish big enough you can't slow him down.

IMG_20200127_162513020.jpg

IMG_20200127_162629504.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sorry for the quality of this picture.My father shot this with a bow.Then we pulled the string and came right to us at which point I harpooned him(mop handle with broadhead attached) It was attached to a rope with a big ball on end.We chased him down pulled him in on the rope with him kicking and screaming like a toddler tantrum.22 pistol point blank.He measured 12ft4.We sold him to pay for our trip and kept the head mount.

Screenshot_20200127-165249.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4
1 minute ago, Rickshaw swami said:

Sorry for the quality of this picture.My father shot this with a bow.Then we pulled the string and came right to us at which point I harpooned him(mop handle with broadhead attached) It was attached to a rope with a big ball on end.We chased him down pulled him in on the rope with him kicking and screaming like a toddler tantrum.22 pistol point blank.He measured 12ft4.We sold him to pay for our trip and kept the head mount.

Bloody hell,  that's some going for kids, never mind adults. 

Atb j 

The picture is 15 years old lol.Its also in Florida 12 hour drive.We taped it but nobody has a VHS anymore. We took a 8 footer but I don't have picture as we eat him he wasn't worth taking to the buyer.Through our hog hunting adventures we met a man who said he would take us and he did.We are trying to do it again but they only give a few tags and thousands sign up.

• Like 3

It's generally the month of September.In Louisiana they use limb lines like fishing.In Mississippi, Alabama and Florida your allowed to bowfish at night for them.The state government designates you a very small area.The arrow must be placed through Gators eye or a spot the size of a coin at the back of his head.His hide cannot be penetrated anywhere else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

It's generally the month of September.In Louisiana they use limb lines like fishing.In Mississippi, Alabama and Florida your allowed to bowfish at night for them.The state government designates you a very small area.The arrow must be placed through Gators eye or a spot the size of a coin at the back of his head.His hide cannot be penetrated anywhere else.

Great post Mate …….hope we see more in the future .???

23 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

Brilliant , I'd love a go at that ?