American bowfishing

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry for the quality of this picture.My father shot this with a bow.Then we pulled the string and came right to us at which point I harpooned him(mop handle with broadhead attached) It was attached t

I hope this is the right place to post this.I bowfish during spring and summer in the same swamps I dig in the winter.Hope y'all enjoy.

There is guides you can hire.I think it's around $2000.I would recommend a saltwater bowfishing trip if any of y'all ever travel to Florida it's roughly $100 per person all gear provided.Stingray are

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Nice shooting, we were in Florida a few yrs ago and I done a bit of bass fishing, had a great days sport, next time we go back to the USA I fancy some lake trout or wild rainbow fishing or maybe even some muskies. Love America, outdoors man paradise

My digging partner doesn't keep terriers because he's a semi professional bass fisherman and travels alot except in winter.He sent me this pic yesterday of his 5 year old son.

Screenshot_20200327-200126.png.6f9ffa116ed1492620bda95eaa1b4058.png

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Do you eat those carp swami? 

I have eaten buffalo as a kid.I have never eaten carp.Those buffalo in picture got fed to coons on the bluffs.Its not recommended to consume fish from this river according to state regulations.When I was a kid people wanted the buffalo and we would give them to people.I grew up in a dry county that didn't sell alcohol so we had bootleggers who sold from there house.An old black lady bootlegger we knew would ask for a pickup truckload of Buffalo.Me and my dad would go shoot all night and take them to her about Dawn.She would have free fish fry and then sell you beer.Looking back she was very business savvy.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

My digging partner doesn't keep terriers because he's a semi professional bass fisherman and travels alot except in winter.He sent me this pic yesterday of his 5 year old son.

Screenshot_20200327-200126.png.6f9ffa116ed1492620bda95eaa1b4058.png

Couple of beezers, we fished lake Elbert or Albert????? In Florida had 1 at 8lb the rest were 5 and under think we had about 14-15 fish that day using silvers as live bait, that bass pro shop in Orlando is a smashing place, that’s what fishing shops in paradise are like too.

Florida bass are their own subspecies.They grow really large.They were introduced across Dixie in our rivers and lakes to produce bigger fish about 50 years ago.No live or dead bait allowed in tournaments.Artificial only.Running 70 mph on the river with 50 grand for first place.But you need a boat that costs 50 grand.Its expensive as most addictions are.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

Florida bass are their own subspecies.They grow really large.They were introduced across Dixie in our rivers and lakes to produce bigger fish about 50 years ago.No live or dead bait allowed in tournaments.Artificial only.Running 70 mph on the river with 50 grand for first place.But you need a boat that costs 50 grand.Its expensive as most addictions are.

I used to do a bit of bow hunting on pigs here,I've seen arrows do some crazy things, almost coming back on you.Do you ever have the line catch and flick back?I would'nt want to try and dig one of those fishing heads out of my guts.Looks like fun that fishing and like to give it a go,we have plenty of big feral carp here in Oz.

10 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I used to do a bit of bow hunting on pigs here,I've seen arrows do some crazy things, almost coming back on you.Do you ever have the line catch and flick back?I would'nt want to try and dig one of those fishing heads out of my guts.Looks like fun that fishing and like to give it a go,we have plenty of big feral carp here in Oz.

Certain bowfishing reels are safer than others.Some will catch and try to knock your eye out.Screenshot_20200328-211841.png.6d9a1be7c03e2580e9792c83871ca53c.png

These reels are the safest.I have used them for about 10 years without a problem.

Screenshot_20200328-212031.png.ad6f12089ad96753d858cc0afd3e01ef.png

This is what me and family mostly shot before the bottle reels.These will rarely kick back and are fairly safe.

Screenshot_20200328-212133.png.847de46faa4cd06c2641092f95f0d465.png

These reels are dangerous.If you use this type wear safety glasses and a bulletproof vest.

It can be an inexpensive hobby.polarized glasses,reel and a fiberglass arrow and your good to go.Aim a foot lower than fish because of water refraction.Give it a try.

• Like 1

We were due to go to Florida in July, it's all paid up but i doubt very much we'll be going this year (at least!)

Damn shame, as i've been following this thread and was gonna ask where to find some bow fishing around St Pete's, though i got a car and distance wouldn't be a big problem.

The year before last we got a day over in Everglades City doing a bit of air boating through the mangroves. We had a boat to ourselves, the skipper of which, an old boy, was one of the most interesting blokes i've ever met. I could have spent a few months in his company. He spoke about bow fishing, which he did a bit of, amongst many other things...

At first, most of his tales i was taking with a big pinch of salt, until he said we should go see some gators and other critters. So we flys through to a big clearing, half a dozen other boats there all waiting to see a gator. As we go past em he's telling us these skippers wait here hours with the tourists hoping to see a gator but they dont know his secret. So we goes past an he asks the skippers if they've seen any gators, to which they answer no and we move on, leaving them behind to find a smaller clearing and he reaches in a bag to pull out his secret... A bag of Cheetos and after swearing us to secrecey starts tossing them in the water. After about 30 seconds the first gator surfaces and makes a line direct for the Cheetos and the boat. It was like cat nip to them gators and he had em coming out the water for the smell of em. Ended up with about 6 gators around us, all mad keen on Cheetos!! He then takes us to a racoon 'creche', where again, they were Cheeto mad, coming right down into the boat for em. We dropped to some land and seen bear tracks but sadly no bears.

It was a great day in fine company and his tales of his life and life in the Everglades and Everglades city were both facinating and damn funny and i got to handle the boat too.

I was gonna try an take a trip back this year to say hello, as we struck up a good friendship and he wanted to show us much more, with a few beers and bbq but not as 'tourists' ... ?

13 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I just took a pup on a ride on public dirt road behind my house.No houses but 2 hunting cabins.It made me laugh.What are the odds.Worlds getting smaller lol

Screenshot_20200329-100545.png.856b4a887e54124d3fa31bbdfbb54426.png

• Thanks 1

Mr Bosun

I had great times with great people down there especially in my teenage years.These next pictures are twenty years old.Bad quality sorry.This is what them boys do when tourist ain't around.

Screenshot_20200329-101319.png.0eab0ead39229e41d05f7fbe674f899f.png

Screenshot_20200329-101500.png.eba8dbed7349f7db259db8300f6111ea.png

Screenshot_20200329-101736.png.98a0ce9ab60d26cd938aeebd5891e9c9.png

Screenshot_20200329-101854.png.d13c038942f635c3208db4416b625a90.png

Just reach and grab em up to 6-7 ft.The mouth is easy to hold.The tail will break your leg.

These pics are twenty years old and photo shopped ,nothing was harmed in the making ,none of it really happened 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:
On 29/03/2020 at 13:09, Aussie Whip said:

I just took a pup on a ride on public dirt road behind my house.No houses but 2 hunting cabins.It made me laugh.What are the odds.Worlds getting smaller lol

You'd be surprised how many people here have confederate flags in their front windows,they're all rebels against society.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know how I missed this?? No doubt because it’s in the fishing section....

What a brilliant thread! Now that’s some fishing I could seriously get into......atb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1