I have been looking at a Sako Quad in .22 WMR with the obvious thought that I could always get a spare barrel in another calibre. Now I know .22lr and .17hmr but can anyone tell me what is a .17 Mach ll and where does that fit in or compare with .17hmr.

Any feedback would be most helpful guys.

Phil

• Like 1

Google is your friend. apart from you can, Why would you want rifle calibers that are very similar. If it's a collecting thing ok but dead is dead from a hunting aspect. Ammo.... there ain't many gun shops in the country that would Cary or even get in factory  ammo  in 17 Mach ll . As far as I know the 17 Mach ll  is based on the 22lr case whereas the 17 Hmr is based on the wmr and as such has less poke than a 17hmr. 

19 minutes ago, Meece said:

Google is your friend. apart from you can, Why would you want rifle calibers that are very similar. If it's a collecting thing ok but dead is dead from a hunting aspect. Ammo.... there ain't many gun shops in the country that would Cary or even get in factory  ammo  in 17 Mach ll . As far as I know the 17 Mach ll  is based on the 22lr case whereas the 17 Hmr is based on the wmr and as such has less poke than a 17hmr. 

You are quite right meece, why would I want one...................................I didn't say that I did want one, I would like to know more about the calibre and to be honest it is easy to find stuff on the magic world of the internet but sometimes it is better to actually hear from people who might actually know something.

My thought was that perhaps the Mach ll has similar design characteristics as the hmr, in other words a flatter trajectory but without the sheer pace so perhaps a better round for bunnies or of course a target round which could be interesting and the barrels are cheap enough. 

As for ammo, you may well be right there and it is not available easily but I have a feeling I know where to get some if it became more of an interest.

It is a fact find for me, nothing more.

Phil

When it came out I was harvesting rabbits every week through winter and was convinced it would make a better bunny gun than a 22 but I didn't bother.

I think many didn't bother. Keeping a 22 and going to hmr. It never took off.

I think ammo production has stopped too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn’t invest in .17 Mach2, ammo is virtually obsolete now. Old stock being sold off cheap as not many people want it. It was doomed from the start as a calibre that nobody wanted or needed, hmr does everything that mach2 does and more. I think that in not many years from now it will be a calibre that people forgot.?

Edited by Dervburner
Bad spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1