Sign in to follow this  
sid g

old boxing photos/pie n mash

3 hours ago, Mister Gain said:

Don't know about other pie and mash shops, but I know a guy used to work in the local one in Passey Place,  Eltham, and was surprised to learn that the liquor was just 3 ingredients... water, flour and chopped fresh parsley. No seasonings. It's plain water, not even the water from the stewed eels like it used to be. I made some, very disappointing, so make my own using a fish stock cube, water and corn flour. The parsley retains the flavour but loses it's colour but a lot tastier than the one from the shop.

964776760_Homemadepieandmash1small.jpg.24132c0d4f945550503c2a0c985099bb.jpg

that looks ok but the the stuff in the first pic looks like shit 

12 hours ago, downsouth said:

Central pie shop in Sittingbourne.No mash or liquor but the diffent pies are amazing.Various meat pies and sweet/fruit pies.You can stand at the little counter and see through the little hatch at them being made fresh.It gets rammed in there on a saturday but you have the added bonus of getting them fresh out of the oven.If you ever find yourself in there try the meat and bean pies.Theyre that good that the shop is known down this end of kent as the meat and bean shop.

Right ok great...i get to Reculver/Whitstable way occasionally so will look that up next time cheers.

The " up London " thing is even said by Londoners.....if i said im going up London or up West on a night out it simply means im going to the West End of London/the bright lights etc.

4 hours ago, Mister Gain said:

Don't know about other pie and mash shops, but I know a guy used to work in the local one in Passey Place,  Eltham, and was surprised to learn that the liquor was just 3 ingredients... water, flour and chopped fresh parsley. No seasonings. It's plain water, not even the water from the stewed eels like it used to be. I made some, very disappointing, so make my own using a fish stock cube, water and corn flour. The parsley retains the flavour but loses it's colour but a lot tastier than the one from the shop.

964776760_Homemadepieandmash1small.jpg.24132c0d4f945550503c2a0c985099bb.jpg

What's the usual filling in the pies, or does it vary 

12 hours ago, Astanley said:

I thought the terminology was  " up " to London no matter where you where in the country .

really never heard that everyone I know in the north says down to london , going down south up to London cant be right

26 minutes ago, greg64 said:

really never heard that everyone I know in the north says down to london , going down south up to London cant be right

I think it stems  from London being the capital ..one always travels "up" to one's capital , most northerners being uneducated oiks would be unaware of this and continue their flat vowelled babble in blissful ignorance .

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, peterhunter86 said:

What's the usual filling in the pies, or does it vary 

It's normally beef. I use trimmed chuck steak and mince it myself and add chopped onion. Also add a little bit of scotch pie seasoning. Served with the liquor and a smooth buttery creamy mash2070770330_Homemadepieandmash2small.jpg.a33997dda2053e39e14fb521b76ae787.jpg

My son is over from Aussie so I made a rib sticking Kate & Sidney pudding'

1507723427_kateandsidneypudding.jpg.ef3bb8a55d3d3d1fd6fb9299971187ef.jpg

• Like 3

I’d try it if the pies weren’t the cheap bought in chemical crap Denny’s pass off as pies, but probably just as crap as Greg’s labradors holes (sausage rolls), must say how disappointed and repulsed by Greg’s shite they punt out to the general public. Our high school had nicer stuff haha. Yous mainlanders wayyyy overrate your cooking. Mass produced crap is terrible to eat. Yas want to try some beef and Guiness stew or fried steak n champ with plenty of proper butter. Mansss food

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mister Gain said:

It's normally beef. I use trimmed chuck steak and mince it myself and add chopped onion. Also add a little bit of scotch pie seasoning. Served with the liquor and a smooth buttery creamy mash2070770330_Homemadepieandmash2small.jpg.a33997dda2053e39e14fb521b76ae787.jpg

My son is over from Aussie so I made a rib sticking Kate & Sidney pudding'

1507723427_kateandsidneypudding.jpg.ef3bb8a55d3d3d1fd6fb9299971187ef.jpg

Top pic looks nice the bottom looks like old people’s home food

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lenmcharristar said:

I’d try it if the pies weren’t the cheap bought in chemical crap Denny’s pass off as pies, but probably just as crap as Greg’s labradors holes (sausage rolls), must say how disappointed and repulsed by Greg’s shite they punt out to the general public. Our high school had nicer stuff haha. Yous mainlanders wayyyy overrate your cooking. Mass produced crap is terrible to eat. Yas want to try some beef and Guiness stew or fried steak n champ with plenty of proper butter. Mansss food

I went into Greg's once when I was over in Liverpool, fcuk me how people eat that shite is beyond me

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dougal McGuire said:

chop the top off an cook the soggy bit

That's what I do with them, me da used to say I was doing a post mortom on them

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Right ok great...i get to Reculver/Whitstable way occasionally so will look that up next time cheers.

Whitstable is just 5mins down the road from me.Lovely little quirky town.Shame the prices down there have been driven through the roof by all the bloody DFL's 

20 hours ago, downsouth said:

Whitstable is just 5mins down the road from me.Lovely little quirky town.Shame the prices down there have been driven through the roof by all the bloody DFL's 

It was actually Seasalter and Whitstable not Reculver....but yes its a nice little part of the country.......how long it can stay like that i dont know....look down as far as Margate and Ramsgate its creeping right along that stretch of coast council kids and East Europeans being sent down there as London overspill.

When we was youngsters places like Clacton/Southend/Margate/Ramsgate they were our seaside days out...now look at them....just another example of multicultural enrichment.