any of you lads on here have any experience with these?!

363471234_Screenshot2020-01-25at09_01_35.png.8e948abb23226344b38f73c1eeeb6201.png

up until last years bs I use to go hide shooting loads but with packman's bollox and antis phoning the police all the time ive chilled out and not been very much at all of lately..

ive got an o/u that is basically redundant as my beretta semi is my goto for everything but if I can keep the racket down id be back in the hide a lot more. 

there are massive numbers of Woodys about at the moment that I put down to last years uncontrollable breeding, all the fields around my area are full of flags and crow scarers that do absolutely sod all. 

any advice would be greatly appreciated 

cheers si

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just stuck a box of 5’s through it, more than happy and it’s on point out of the box.. patterns nicely at 30yrd! itll do for me and got a good deal?

I had  been tempted to get one in the past . A mate has a 410 moderated which we use in our terrier work for dispatch at the end of a dig . I have also thought of the advantages when pigeon shooting n

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

You are legally entitled to make as much noise as you want for crop protection Si.

That aside. I have used silenced shotguns and they are very good as long as they fit you ofcourse.

They are all silly money for what they are though!

it fits me well sd... it won't be costing me much either as the sg im gonna chop in was cheap off a mate and I fix/tune the air guns for the shop!

wanted one for years, I shoot land backing onto housing estates and theres a clamp on one of the farms that gets hammered but theres a pigeon loft next to it so I always use an air riffle. 

and if it keeps the hippies off me back it'll be worth its weight in gold:laugh:

recon ill of buckled and got it before the days out. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dervburner said:

I’ve got one, I bought a picatinny rail off flea bay and fitted a red dot sight. Works well for me. I use eley hi flyer fibre. They’re quiet and effective.

cheers...are they subs or dose the silencer do a good job of shutting it up?!

the gun comes up ok so ill see if I can hit stuff with it, if not the red dot could be an option 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

My gaffer has the 410 version of that mossberg Si. With subsonic rounds it really is very quiet, the 'pumping' click clunk is louder than the shot! 

my foxing mate bought the 410 version a few weeks back so his lass can have a go on walkabouts, there both happy with it..

I just fancy a bit more welly:gunsmilie:

Yes, the fibre wad hi flyers are subsonic, but plastic wads aren’t for some reason. It’s on eley hawk website, just click on the hi flyers 20 gauge and then click on speciations and I think they’re listed at 1070 or something like that. I find that the red dot helps me due to the moderator as you just see the dot. The twenty is multi choke and comes with full choke fitted as standard. I had the fourten as well, but sold it as it didn’t have the knockdown power of the twenty. I’d say that the twenty is a little heavier, but a good bit more versatile, and just a little louder than the fourten. I also use hull subsonic 20 which are quieter than the eley, but not as hard hitting. Somewhere in between a magnum .410 and the hi flyers. All in all, a good bit of kit I reckon ?

• Like 1

All of this talk about 410s and silencers us just a waste of time. why should you be hiding up. It all boils down to A. Is there a crop there that you are protecting.  B. Does the owner want you out there shooting the pigeons ? If the answer to these is yes  and other crop protection methods have been tried then you got to be a bit brave and go shooting.  Ring plod up, give plod your full details and if necessary get the land  owner to contact them as well. If they aint prepared to do this then they had better get out there and protect their own crop.  Take a clear COPY of cert with you AND  written permission  or you MIGHT find that plod takes away your gun until it is all sorted out. Without the writen how do they know if you've got the right to be out there?.  If anyone comes out there dont start getting mouthy be polite but firm and advise them to leave.  Take a picture of them and ask who they are, where they come from and advise them that they are trespassing on private  land and disrupting a lawfull activity. If they verbally or physically abuse you, film them with your camera.  Phone plod and tell them that you've got problems.  That's what we pay out rates for.  Preferably have someone with you to corroborate and if youve got a vehicle A.  Make sure that its legal and park it where you can see it or away from the area so that you don't come back to flat tyres ,keyed or smashed glass. don't give up and dont loose your rag. And use a 12 bore.  Let them know that your there and you ain't going away.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Meece said:

All of this talk about 410s and silencers us just a waste of time. why should you be hiding up. It all boils down to A. Is there a crop there that you are protecting.  B. Does the owner want you out there shooting the pigeons ? If the answer to these is yes  and other crop protection methods have been tried then you got to be a bit brave and go shooting.  Ring plod up, give plod your full details and if necessary get the land  owner to contact them as well. If they aint prepared to do this then they had better get out there and protect their own crop.  Take a clear COPY of cert with you AND  written permission  or you MIGHT find that plod takes away your gun until it is all sorted out. Without the writen how do they know if you've got the right to be out there?.  If anyone comes out there dont start getting mouthy be polite but firm and advise them to leave.  Take a picture of them and ask who they are, where they come from and advise them that they are trespassing on private  land and disrupting a lawfull activity. If they verbally or physically abuse you, film them with your camera.  Phone plod and tell them that you've got problems.  That's what we pay out rates for.  Preferably have someone with you to corroborate and if youve got a vehicle A.  Make sure that its legal and park it where you can see it or away from the area so that you don't come back to flat tyres , eyed or smashed glass. don't give up and dont loose your rag. And use a 12 bore.  Let them know that your there and you ain't going away.

I don't use it to hide I like it as it don't scare away every crow in the county 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Keep us  posted Si, tempted my sen 

It’s off out in the morning?
bit big/long For him but my lad put a few through it and the smile on his face said it all.. he’s up for a day out with his poachers 410 next weekend?

30 minutes ago, si brown said:

Just stuck a box of 5’s through it, more than happy and it’s on point out of the box.. patterns nicely at 30yrd!

94CA7226-C998-47A4-A982-DA058EABABC2.jpeg.62b0f9313c9248a1c4240ab9c1d03b6e.jpegitll do for me and got a good deal?
972C3BFA-9ABF-4D63-B4BF-A4959B5C0B1D.jpeg.85a2c7d661114744ed4edf5ebb7579ed.jpeg

Si, you really should not be patterning it in the house irrespective of how quite it is!

That aside I get completely where Meece is coming from. However being quiet can account for more birds.

I had a jackdaw job. They were raiding a finishing cattle shed. A carefully constructed hide enabled me and the muffed fourteen to account for many more birds before they twigged.

• Like 1