Jump to content

Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.


Recommended Posts

1795562492_Screenshot_20211022-111758_Photos2.jpg.a42f4492c704588b4b66a09bb937412d.jpg

This little dog has been showing well for me. He got a coon in a muskrat set this morning.The tube was the size of your fist.He pushed his way through.Most  terriers cant fit in a muskrat tube.I realized today just how small this terrier is.When I got home I weighed him out of curiosity. 11 pounds 12ounces.😅  

  • Like 17
Link to post

  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

On 22/10/2021 at 18:16, Rickshaw swami said:

1795562492_Screenshot_20211022-111758_Photos2.jpg.a42f4492c704588b4b66a09bb937412d.jpg

This little dog has been showing well for me. He got a coon in a muskrat set this morning.The tube was the size of your fist.He pushed his way through.Most  terriers cant fit in a muskrat tube.I realized today just how small this terrier is.When I got home I weighed him out of curiosity. 11 pounds 12ounces.😅  

 Rick do coons mix it with the terrier or just bolt and have you ever had a dog bitten by a snake "venomous " your a brave man walking around swamps full of  cottonmouths and do you get snapper turtles and gaters in your area?

 

Link to post
On 22/10/2021 at 18:16, Rickshaw swami said:

1795562492_Screenshot_20211022-111758_Photos2.jpg.a42f4492c704588b4b66a09bb937412d.jpg

This little dog has been showing well for me. He got a coon in a muskrat set this morning.The tube was the size of your fist.He pushed his way through.Most  terriers cant fit in a muskrat tube.I realized today just how small this terrier is.When I got home I weighed him out of curiosity. 11 pounds 12ounces.😅  

A good little un will always beat a good biggun at gerrin down muskrat tubes 

Link to post
3 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

 Rick do coons mix it with the terrier or just bolt and have you ever had a dog bitten by a snake "venomous " your a brave man walking around swamps full of  cottonmouths and do you get snapper turtles and gaters in your area?

 

Coons will mix it up.If the coon has the upper hand he will continue to mix.If the coon begins to lose he will try to bolt by swimming or climbing.

As far as venomous  snake bites on dogs.When I was a teenager I had a terrier to get bit twice by a copperhead while trying to kill it.We called our vet.He said to give the terrier antihistamine (benadryl) and he would be better in 4 or 5 days.For 3 days this terrier laid on the back porch.His head look like a balloon  full of water.But the vet was right by day 5 the terrier was up and playing.

I wear snake proof chaps everytime  I go with the terriers.If you ever seen how scared I am in these swamps by myself you wouldn't call me brave.Ive been known to scream like a wildcat when a frog jumps beside me.😁

We do have snapping turtles.Screenshot_20211024-054048_Photos.jpg.c800df50404e8aa35f684e8ffdd0fbd6.jpg

We don't have as many gators as places further south.I have  ran into 1 so far since first of September. It was about 8 ft long and was terrified of me.They are shy compared to the way they are portrayed.They basically aren't a threat to people but would happily eat a terrier.

Its the combination  of several things that make my hunting miserable ,Poison oak,Mosquitos,thorns,Horseflies,Hornets,leeches,septic water,bottomless mud bogs,excessive heat.But those cottonmouths give me night mares.

The place I nicknamed  Katchums swamp has gators and more cottonmouths  than anywhere I've seen.Just surviving that swamp I feel is an accomplishment.

Screenshot_20211024-054145_Photos.jpg.c24e2a2a1f5ef0960fd0dd643810217b.jpg

 

 

 

 

  • Like 10
Link to post
7 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

Coons will mix it up.If the coon has the upper hand he will continue to mix.If the coon begins to lose he will try to bolt by swimming or climbing.

As far as venomous  snake bites on dogs.When I was a teenager I had a terrier to get bit twice by a copperhead while trying to kill it.We called our vet.He said to give the terrier antihistamine (benadryl) and he would be better in 4 or 5 days.For 3 days this terrier laid on the back porch.His head look like a balloon  full of water.But the vet was right by day 5 the terrier was up and playing.

I wear snake proof chaps everytime  I go with the terriers.If you ever seen how scared I am in these swamps by myself you wouldn't call me brave.Ive been known to scream like a wildcat when a frog jumps beside me.😁

We do have snapping turtles.Screenshot_20211024-054048_Photos.jpg.c800df50404e8aa35f684e8ffdd0fbd6.jpg

We don't have as many gators as places further south.I have  ran into 1 so far since first of September. It was about 8 ft long and was terrified of me.They are shy compared to the way they are portrayed.They basically aren't a threat to people but would happily eat a terrier.

Its the combination  of several things that make my hunting miserable ,Poison oak,Mosquitos,thorns,Horseflies,Hornets,leeches,septic water,bottomless mud bogs,excessive heat.But those cottonmouths give me night mares.

The place I nicknamed  Katchums swamp has gators and more cottonmouths  than anywhere I've seen.Just surviving that swamp I feel is an accomplishment.

Screenshot_20211024-054145_Photos.jpg.c24e2a2a1f5ef0960fd0dd643810217b.jpg

 

 

 

 

Your old terrier very lucky that it wasn't a cottonmouth ,copperhead are venomous and pack a punch as you no but no where near a hit like cottonmouth ,me mate used to train with a false water cobra "rear fanged " and not anufe venom to kill a human but he got bit few times and said it was like being hit over and over with claw hammer.id be wanting a full suit if I was over there never mind chaps 😆 

Do you travel to different states at times to hunt and is it just terriers you work .

  • Like 1
Link to post

When I was a kid some coonhunters got in trouble when they were overheard talking  about a certain swamp.After that we made codenames for every swamp.Chinpop,Fingerbite,Lostboot,metal gate,etc .When katchum declared me insane on page 4 of this thread for entering that swamp I named the swamp after him.Game wardens all over Dixie trying to figure out where katchums swamp is.😅

 

 

  • Haha 4
Link to post

I took the little terrier's littermate digging today.He is built like a twenty pound whippet.He did a good job but time will tell.In my opinion  one of the best feelings  in the world is digging to a young terrier you bred and raised yourself.Even if they are ugly lol 

Screenshot_20211026-104117_Photos.jpg.d3fe67f99c3cf48c5c2c85dd7fe9a78f.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to post
1 hour ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I took the little terrier's littermate digging today.He is built like a twenty pound whippet.He did a good job but time will tell.In my opinion  one of the best feelings  in the world is digging to a young terrier you bred and raised yourself.Even if they are ugly lol 

Screenshot_20211026-104117_Photos.jpg.d3fe67f99c3cf48c5c2c85dd7fe9a78f.jpg

Rick can a terrier kill a coon outright? Or do you dispatch them with your side arm? 👍

Link to post
9 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Rick can a terrier kill a coon outright? Or do you dispatch them with your side arm? 👍

It depends on each terrier and each coon and how long the dig takes.Some terriers have a natural born talent for taking the right holds to end it quicker than other terriers.I keep some harder terriers and some mixers.The mixers would be hard-pressed to  kill an adult coon no matter the amount of time.Ive never seen a terrier who could kill their coon everytime.A big boar coon in a tight spot will rarely if ever be dispatched even by the best of terriers in my opinion.

 

 

Link to post

I have been out this morning  digging in a rangy place that holds multiple species at the same time.This place is larger than a football field although not deep. A terrier will go much further than the locator can read.When its pouring down rain and your walking around in circles in a river cane thicket its not much fun .It takes 5 minutes to walk 5 feet sometimes. I use the red brick.I really need something that could reach out wider.My question is, does any of the locators pickup a wider range? 

Any help appreciated.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...