Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.

19 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Hopefully because there's a big enough gene pool to dip in to? 

Take Nuttall, apparently his story changes as the wind blows when asked if he added bull blood. I'm sure if it was added most wouldn't mention it. 

Did Nuttal dig his dogs or just breed from them? Its plain to be seen the bull influence but it certainly wasnt APBT added.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Hopefully because there's a big enough gene pool to dip in to? 

Take Nuttall, apparently his story changes as the wind blows when asked if he added bull blood. I'm sure if it was added most wouldn't mention it. 

I spoke to Brian many times on the subject and no secret to the fact he did in the 50/60 his dog carried a lot of British pit blood x fells from his grandfathers stock these mated on to his border bitch and then line bred, he also used a half cross in the late 70's but wasnt happy with the pups so never carried it on but others did , and then a couple of litters late 90s early 00's to a apbt again not folded back in by himself but used by others 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
11 minutes ago, Glyn..... said:

I spoke to Brian many times on the subject and no secret to the fact he did in the 50/60 his dog carried a lot of British pit blood x fells from his grandfathers stock these mated on to his border bitch and then line bred, he also used a half cross in the late 70's but wasnt happy with the pups so never carried it on but others did , and then a couple of litters late 90s early 00's to a apbt again not folded back in by himself but used by others 

That's what I've always been told. 

I'm not trying to play a game of trumps but just repeating what's well known. 

I'm not a breeder and never really have been so you will know even more rumours about the carry on's regarding bull blood but it's clear it has been used and still probably is. 

Just look at some of the Irish dogs and many over here, they scream out bull IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

That's what I've always been told. 

I'm not trying to play a game of trumps but just repeating what's well known. 

I'm not a breeder and never really have been so you will know even more rumours about the carry on's regarding bull blood but it's clear it has been used and still probably is. 

Just look at some of the Irish dogs and many over here, they scream out bull IMO. 

without a doubt I should think all working terriers carry a drop even if it's a long way back , I like the look but I'm not a fan of dogs that want to fight be it above or below I love a voice on a terrier but also knowing if that's not enough while working when push comes to shove they can for that moment push back , and as things settle go back to using there voice and it's that sense a lot of bull breed dogs lack once they go up in the gears they cant go back down resulting in a wreak 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

One point of using a bull is that they are of pure blood and the pups born are pretty predictable in type as such,the pureness of the bull blood is easier to breed out than a x bred terrier of a few different types. These days the electronic locator can cover the regular short fallings a bull x terrier brings to the digging game and surely there's enough blood around that's had the bull bred out of it to never need the addition again?..

5 hours ago, Hatch28 said:

It does matter Ive dug over APBT crosses white ones and black ones they have a bad style of working and  Ive never seen one to last a few seasons any Ive seen have jacked staff crosses have done better the reason being APBT are not truely game.

Theres been loads of terrier/terrier crosses with good affect.

See that is what some are have trouble. To the American pit bull terrier is not truly game is not only a completely ridiculous statement but there isn’t a person in the world who has even just the most basic understanding of what being game means that would ever make such a stupid comment. Especially since you have close to no experience with them at all. Digging to a couple crosses isn’t experience. I mean seriously you sound like a child. Not mention if starting with the very first bull an terrier crosses all the up to today the American pit bull terrier is as close you are going to get to those fist bull an terrier crosses. All the other related breeds especially the Staffordshire Bull Terrier which is a recognized breed and not the same as what the old time pit dog men occasionally referred to as a Staffordshire so called because of that area being known for good pit dogs. Usually they were referred to as fighting terriers , bull and terriers, or just pit dogs. And the American pit bull terrier is the one that can directly trace the ancestry straight back the those original pitdogs 

5 hours ago, Hatch28 said:

They dont have to be truly game to do the job their bred for they dont take the punishment a good working terrier takes.

You just pulling my leg right just looking to get a ride out of people please tell that is what yo are doing. You can’t honestly believe the things you are saying. Please show me I’m literally begging you to show me a working terrier that has fought there quarry for as long as three hours please please please show that terrier. Because this is something that not was only done one time by one dog it has been done on a few different occasions. Now of course dogs who can do this are obvious not common and you are not going to find a representative of any other breed capable of showing this extreme level of gameness other than the American pit bull terrier who also is the only breed that actually has documented written proof of this kind of thing that was also witnessed by usually a few dozen men who actually know a thing or to. Unlike these very mysterious mythical unicorn extremely game terriers you speak who are owned by only the best of the best working terrier men who live in the far corners of England where only the gamest terrier stand a chance of survival. Oh and I forgot the only people who have seen these mystical terriers are the members of the super secret hidden society of incognito terrier men of all terrier men LMMFAO 

43 minutes ago, Bolero said:

You just pulling my leg right just looking to get a ride out of people please tell that is what yo are doing. You can’t honestly believe the things you are saying. Please show me I’m literally begging you to show me a working terrier that has fought there quarry for as long as three hours please please please show that terrier. Because this is something that not was only done one time by one dog it has been done on a few different occasions. Now of course dogs who can do this are obvious not common and you are not going to find a representative of any other breed capable of showing this extreme level of gameness other than the American pit bull terrier who also is the only breed that actually has documented written proof of this kind of thing that was also witnessed by usually a few dozen men who actually know a thing or to. Unlike these very mysterious mythical unicorn extremely game terriers you speak who are owned by only the best of the best working terrier men who live in the far corners of England where only the gamest terrier stand a chance of survival. Oh and I forgot the only people who have seen these mystical terriers are the members of the super secret hidden society of incognito terrier men of all terrier men LMMFAO 

I dont no what sort of substance you have taken but please for your own safety dont do it again thats not healthy to be posting that, now Im sorry for upsetting you but it is the truth.

• Haha 6
42 minutes ago, Bolero said:

Bolero Have You done any digging???honestly, tell us the truth???don't tell me you've heard a few tales while picking up shit in someone's yard??? Because  3hrs to ground on its quarry is nothing at  all to a working terrier.... and there's plenty that can go again and again and again the same day..owned and dug to other lads terriers that have stayed for days, rescued them after a week or more, just like many others on  here... Nothing mystical about it, its what comes with working them, That's how game these little dogs are lol.. There's not another animal alive that  chooses to enter another animals domain... to do what a earth dog does or dies trying?But then again if you had done anything with them, you would know how  nieve your last post was.. you clearly don't know the difference between shit and toothpaste.. You irritate  me like a dose of crabs... I will have to hit the ignore button, and I suggest that others do... 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Bolero said:

If your seriously saying a terrier can’t do 3 hours graft mate then I suggest you get your sorry arse on a plane to Blighty ASAP (COVID permitting ) 

You seem very wrapped up in the apt thing mate .I get the passion but apt has never been a digging type dog and for adding to terrier wtf .No one in their right mind adds leggy apt to a working terrier .Staffie has and still is added for reasons known only to those adding it and the right staff at that not infused with apt .

Weve had numerous digs over 3 hours ,few all dayers to nearly all types of terrier not just the blacks .

Serious terriermen wouldn’t bat an eye lid at 3 hours .It’s not only the deep digs that take time but substrate in various parts of our country won’t allow for a swift dig .Personally I like to let a dog settle properly before digging ,anything from 15 minutes to 30 depending on what I hear or the box says .

If you want to talk working terriers on a working terrier forum then do so but please take time to study our culture before trying to take the piss out of it .

We arnt permitted to fight dogs here and rightly so in my mind so your preaching to a majority that know nothing about it nor care to BUT there is a wealth of knowledge on here regarding working terriers that earn their keep under the sod ,for however long it takes to do the job .

• Like 9
14 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

If your seriously saying a terrier can’t do 3 hours graft mate then I suggest you get your sorry arse on a plane to Blighty ASAP (COVID permitting ) 

You seem very wrapped up in the apt thing mate .I get the passion but apt has never been a digging type dog and for adding to terrier wtf .No one in their right mind adds leggy apt to a working terrier .Staffie has and still is added for reasons known only to those adding it and the right staff at that not infused with apt .

Weve had numerous digs over 3 hours ,few all dayers to nearly all types of terrier not just the blacks .

Serious terriermen wouldn’t bat an eye lid at 3 hours .It’s not only the deep digs that take time but substrate in various parts of our country won’t allow for a swift dig .Personally I like to let a dog settle properly before digging ,anything from 15 minutes to 30 depending on what I hear or the box says .

If you want to talk working terriers on a working terrier forum then do so but please take time to study our culture before trying to take the piss out of it .

We arnt permitted to fight dogs here and rightly so in my mind so your preaching to a majority that know nothing about it nor care to BUT there is a wealth of knowledge on here regarding working terriers that earn their keep under the sod ,for however long it takes to do the job .

Considering I wasn’t the one who brought it up in the first and as far as getting into any kind of morality issue as far as mating dogs goes not going there. How this is even an argument is honestly crazy.  Also if you are saying that a terrier who has been in the ground for three hours where it is pretty doubtful that they have been going at it with there quarry for that whole time or is actually the same thing as two quality fighting dogs who fought for three hours and let’s be realistic about this the way two bulldog fight is not the way a terrier and whatever there on are fighting. The former is designed to inflict maximum damage and the latter isn’t

i never once did that terriers aren’t or can be game it would be ridiculous foe me to say that as many have proven to be but to honestly compare the two is also ridiculous. Different jobs require different dogs. I have no problem whatsoever saying that a bulldog will not be as good as a whole bunch of other dogs in certain areas. If pride in country  won’t allow you guys to actually admit something that pretty much anyone who has a basic knowledge on how selection pressure works knows to be true then so be it