Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.

On 04/03/2020 at 04:38, Hatch28 said:

I never said they were no good I  said their not truly game not in comparison to hard terrier or old type working  staff. 

Seeing as the American pit bull terrier is specifically bred for gameness and anyone who breeds them for the pit will have gameness as the most important trait a dog needs if they are to even be considered wort breeding from. Now in no way is it the only trait taken into consideration and it were that person who only care about that one thing wo my be very successful. And without a doubt dogs that most likely weren’t game have definitely been used for breeding but from the very beginning those breeders whose dogs have not only been south after I there time but have also have done what is needed to be considered a good family of dogs and that is they have stood the test of time and are to this day the dogs bred by those men that today dogs are down from.

i am definitely not an expert on working terriers but from the little i do know a terrier who goes straight to fighting every time isn’t what is being bred for and most don’t really want or need a dog like that. Now I would assume most want there terriers to show game if the situation calls for it but fighting the quarry is not the goal it is something that can happen occasionally not the main purpose of a terrier. So I would say that being the case the working terrier being the most game type of animal is doubtful since most don’t specifically breed for that trait 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

On 04/03/2020 at 09:36, Glyn..... said:

apbt and a working terrier completely different animals , one is surrounded by men , held back or egged on , rested treated, in a safe environment, could even have the towel thrown in for it , Brains not needed ...the other is on it's own pure drive, in the dark lack of air , tight even the hard earth can take its toll on their body , although help is on it's way it could take hours , no little ring to walk across more like a 3D puzzle with its prize on the move ,it may be facing something way out of its weight range more aggressive more suited to that environment ....there is only one game dog and it has f**k all to do with fighting it has more to do with brains and heart .....as such I see no reason to cross them if it was done leave it  there in the past 

I respectfully disagree with brains not needed. Intelligence is definitely a trait a good breeder want and takes into consideration when choosing what dogs to breed to. We could be referring to two different things as far as intelligence goes so I will explain what I mean. Most call it pit intelligence which would be a dog who is very good at staying out of trouble which means the other dog has a hard times getting a hold and usually when the do it’s not a very good one. When the other dog does get a good hold the smart dog is very good at getting out of it by using leverage, body position, good wrestling etc. this kind of dog is very good at using the strength of the other dog to there advantage and will adapt to the different styles of fighting dogs use very quickly. An example of different styles a barnstormer, it’s a dog who goes 100 mph at all times always moving forward and usually has the attitude of take two or three hits just to get one. A dog like this needs to bite very hard to have a chance. If they happen to be game also they can be a decent dog.  A back end style dog is like sounds they pref to bite a dog in the stifle, the front end dog same kind of deal, then the Head dog. There’s a couple others but you get he idea 

there are intelligen dogs in each style. Usually not the barnstormer but it does happen. The smart dog of in each of them is a dog who although prefers to take a hold a certain area will not only go for that hold and spit out every hold other than the one they prefe. They usually will take a hold on the others head might be by th ear, muzzle, the whole head lol and tuck in the there front legs putting all there weight on the other dog who is pushing forward and the dog on the head is doing what is called the steering with the other driving. The one steering is in control of the other and chooses which the direction followed the real smart ones sense when getting close to the wall or a corner and quickly switch direction so the don’t get James up. When an opportunity comes up for them to become offensive they take it and will stay in offense and if needed will switch back to defense. This style has the effect of wearing down the other dog and is usually the best strategy when the opponent is stronger 

On 04/03/2020 at 09:36, Glyn..... said:

apbt and a working terrier completely different animals , one is surrounded by men , held back or egged on , rested treated, in a safe environment, could even have the towel thrown in for it , Brains not needed ...the other is on it's own pure drive, in the dark lack of air , tight even the hard earth can take its toll on their body , although help is on it's way it could take hours , no little ring to walk across more like a 3D puzzle with its prize on the move ,it may be facing something way out of its weight range more aggressive more suited to that environment ....there is only one game dog and it has f**k all to do with fighting it has more to do with brains and heart .....as such I see no reason to cross them if it was done leave it  there in the past 

I would say the different being the terrier is facing an animal first and foremost trying to stay alive and only will fight back if escape isn’t an option no not 100% of the time is this true but more often than not it is also this does not occur each and every time a terrier goes to ground while the pit dogs job is to engage in combat each and every time without fail and one who will continue to there very last breath is the trait being specifically bred for. The working terrier is an amazing animal and I have nothing but admiration for them and the men who work them but gameness in the highest percentages is found in the pit dog not the terrier. And even in the pit dog isn’t a high percentage 

3 hours ago, Bolero said:

What on the world did just say lmao. Your joking right. That has to be the most absurd think anyone who has ever said anything about dogs has ever written

there is not a single breed of dog more game than the American pit bull terrier. Now I’m talking the breed as a whole not as specific individuals. Now anyone who has any clue about gameness knows most won’t prove game but if a game dog is what you want then the American pit bull terrier is your best chance. Now there are those who feel that gameness can only be proven in the pit I’m not one of those people but the pit is definitely where it is proven the most. Occasionally it can be proven in a hog hunt but most are over to quickly. A dog being injured to the point where death is possible isn’t the only criteria needed to label a dog as game. Exhaustion as in the dog having been working for a long time plus degree of injury need to be present before saying a dog is game. Now obviously not every dog who has been going for an hour or more can be given that title as at times dogs have been at for one and a half hours and are barely hurt at all. So a person clearly would need to use there best judgment. Which is why if a person hasn’t seen with there own eyes  a dog that another Cala game take it with a grain of salt

Put a pit in an earth for a few hours with a yolk using his botton jaws for breakfast and see how long they stick it.? you will soon see how game they are.

Edited by Hatch28
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Hatch28 said:

Put at pit in an earth for a few hours with a yolk using his botton jaws for breakfast and see how long they stick it.? you will soon see how game they are.

There’s a few bulldogs who done had the whole muzzle chewed up so bad close to completely removed and was removed as part of medical aftercare and not a sound was made nor the thought to quit ever cross his mind. If you feel so inclined you can google Norman Hooten Yard tour almost positive it’s on YouTube you can also try Hootens Pistol one of them should work. Pistol is the dog I’m talking about. Whether you feel like doing that or not is completely up to you. 

4 hours ago, Bolero said:

Would you mind saying where these American pit bull terriers came from. I’m not trying to be a jerk. American pit bull terriers that are being bred specifically for being used in contracted matches with specific rules and referees and can be traced all the way back to the dogs that were first brought here. Those are the dogs people who actually work them are referring to as American pit bull terriers and anything other than that has no reason to be using that name. When there are multiple records of these dogs in a match that is 2 hours long or more no I’m not saying this is a regular occurrence but it is something that has happened a few atleast a few dozen times and can be verified. So when a person says such and such dog of x breed is more game in there opinion I just wonder what that opinion is actually based on

The dogs I'm talking about were imports from your side of the pond to Oz.I've just found English staffs more stoic and less reactive to pain on the whole.

4 hours ago, Bolero said:

There’s a few bulldogs who done had the whole muzzle chewed up so bad close to completely removed and was removed as part of medical aftercare and not a sound was made nor the thought to quit ever cross his mind. If you feel so inclined you can google Norman Hooten Yard tour almost positive it’s on YouTube you can also try Hootens Pistol one of them should work. Pistol is the dog I’m talking about. Whether you feel like doing that or not is completely up to you. 

A bite from a stripey is hell of alot more painful than a bite from a pit I found out the hard way,you cant compare the two its somthing that has to be seen and experienced.

2 minutes ago, Hatch28 said:

A bite from a stripey is hell of alot more painful than a bite from a pit I found out the hard way,you cant compare the two its somthing that has to be seen and experienced.

I'm sorry pal but you're seriously not trying to claim working terriers are gamer than dogs bred for the box? 

Can I ask you then why has bull been added to working terriers and other dogs with regularity over the years and not the other way around. 

Put it this way it isn't just to add size and substance. 

• Like 1
Just now, Hatch28 said:

Believe what you will it’s does mean a whole lot to me. A dog whose muzzle has been chewed straight off without a single noise made and when the dog had the choice to pack up and go home or continue the battle his decision was to continue. Giving up never even occurred to that dog. If you truly feel you’ve heard of or witnessed a dog as game as that little buckskin warrior I would have to respectfully say you live in a fantasy world. There is not one breed of dog that will show that degree of gameness in the percentage that these dogs do. There might be one maybe two if extremely lucky working terrier that could possibly exist to show that level of gameness but chances are extremely unlikely. 

23 minutes ago, Bolero said:

Believe what you will it’s does mean a whole lot to me. A dog whose muzzle has been chewed straight off without a single noise made and when the dog had the choice to pack up and go home or continue the battle his decision was to continue. Giving up never even occurred to that dog. If you truly feel you’ve heard of or witnessed a dog as game as that little buckskin warrior I would have to respectfully say you live in a fantasy world. There is not one breed of dog that will show that degree of gameness in the percentage that these dogs do. There might be one maybe two if extremely lucky working terrier that could possibly exist to show that level of gameness but chances are extremely 

You would be surprised how many that type working terrier exists  there plenty them about.

Edited by chesney
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, Hatch28 said:

Don't be drawn in mate?... This clown doesn't know shit from toothpaste... 

Got to start asking why he's trawling through old threads, giving it Billy big balls?tell him f**k all, and feed him rice?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Don't be drawn in mate?... This clown doesn't know shit from toothpaste... 

Got to start asking why he's trawling through old threads, giving it Billy big balls?tell him f**k all, and feed him rice?

Spot on don’t know a thing lol. I do know a little bit though and definitely know enough from actually going out and putting in the work needed in order to actually know the difference between a dog who is game and a dog who looks to be a world beater a long as they are having there way but as soon as it start to get just  little bit tough decide to pack it in. And based on the few post of yours I’ve seen you wouldn’t understand what I’m saying. I have no problem with yo or the other guy but when a person says what was said about dogs being game and were being serious about it as far as the working terrier goes, I mean anyone with a lick of common sense knows how ridiculous that is.