Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.

4 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I'm always surprised by how little wildlife biologists  actually  understand  about varmints.Right now ,Biologists are studying  otters in a park in Alaska.These otters continually attack dogs and people.The otters drug a full grown husky in a pond.The otters also stole a child's bike while the little boy was riding it.The biologists say they don't understand. I understand  it.Ive had dogs getting attacked by otters for the past ten years.Biologists are just now realizing  that otters exhibit this behavior.I figure someone will die in America from an otter attack in next 5 years.Have a search for otter attacks on the web.It makes me laugh but I might have a twisted sense of humor.

To close yes all vermin need controlling. 

Stole a child's bike ???

Cheers, D.

• Haha 1

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

8 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

That’s some going as huskies are  pretty strong dogs well ones I’ve encountered are .

The news said it was 4 otters and the husky weighed 50 pounds.

I have personally seen a 15 pound otter drag a 40 pound grass carp through the swamp.They have superhuman strength for their size as they swim all day.Their only weakness is their blind courage.

17 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I'm always surprised by how little wildlife biologists  actually  understand  about varmints.Right now ,Biologists are studying  otters in a park in Alaska.These otters continually attack dogs and people.The otters drug a full grown husky in a pond.The otters also stole a child's bike while the little boy was riding it.The biologists say they don't understand. I understand  it.Ive had dogs getting attacked by otters for the past ten years.Biologists are just now realizing  that otters exhibit this behavior.I figure someone will die in America from an otter attack in next 5 years.Have a search for otter attacks on the web.It makes me laugh but I might have a twisted sense of humor.

To close yes all vermin need controlling. 

That doesn't surprise, I saw a clip where otters killed a pretty big caiman in the water. Only thing I can relate to them is a ferret, 10 times the size which would take some killing.

On 07/02/2022 at 19:53, Rickshaw swami said:

I felt violated ?

This morning it was a 3/4 black 1/4 white terrier

351550468_20220207_0630532.jpg.ecb904e83392660d5e7990d2de065b83.jpg

Your terriers look to have a bit more sudstance about them than most I see photos of in the states that almost looks like a parkes bred terrier nice Cobby looking terrier how many otters in a season do your terriers meet Rick?

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

That doesn't surprise, I saw a clip where otters killed a pretty big caiman in the water. Only thing I can relate to them is a ferret, 10 times the size which would take some killing.

Those are in south America.There is pictures of a 3 foot north American otter catching and killing a 4 foot gator.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, jackthelad said:

Your terriers look to have a bit more sudstance about them than most I see photos of in the states that almost looks like a parkes bred terrier nice Cobby looking terrier how many otters in a season do your terriers meet Rick?

He's my largest terrier and struggles in some places with coon but works well on larger quarry.

I would say on average I encounter  20 different  otter.Some of these I will encounter 2 or 3 times in a season.

• Like 2

I can't take credit for that one.Hes the only one in the kennels that I didn't breed.I bred his mother.

I started with cobby types.I inbred until they looked like whippets.Now days I'm linebreeding instead of extreme inbreeding.With the linebreeding I'm starting to produce the cobby type again.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Coons in Dixie went back up trees a few weeks ago.So I basically  hunt beaver this time of year as they don't welp until April.

I headed to one of my favorite spots.While the terrier was trying to stop a beaver I seen something bolt out the backside.I ran it down and caught it.It was a beaver kit who looked to be a couple weeks old already.I held the little fellow until I could catch the terrier.

20220308_091409.jpg.450a688e350a19239165aa5c3e03fa67.jpg20220308_091411.jpg.5e4b2c517230009878c737a66cdd14a1.jpg

After catching the terrier I released  the kit. 

20220308_091434.jpg.d768f442ad1365dad0bf09a26e435759.jpg

I started walking back to the truck.I was feeling warm and fuzzy from holding that tiny furball.Then I stepped on a snake.

20220308_104157.jpg.0b4507f889044b2468fe26a88f91ced8.jpg

Seasons done.Roll on September.

• Like 15
On 08/03/2022 at 18:43, Rickshaw swami said:

Coons in Dixie went back up trees a few weeks ago.So I basically  hunt beaver this time of year as they don't welp until April.

I headed to one of my favorite spots.While the terrier was trying to stop a beaver I seen something bolt out the backside.I ran it down and caught it.It was a beaver kit who looked to be a couple weeks old already.I held the little fellow until I could catch the terrier.

20220308_091409.jpg.450a688e350a19239165aa5c3e03fa67.jpg20220308_091411.jpg.5e4b2c517230009878c737a66cdd14a1.jpg

After catching the terrier I released  the kit. 

20220308_091434.jpg.d768f442ad1365dad0bf09a26e435759.jpg

I started walking back to the truck.I was feeling warm and fuzzy from holding that tiny furball.Then I stepped on a snake.

20220308_104157.jpg.0b4507f889044b2468fe26a88f91ced8.jpg

Seasons done.Roll on September.

Good topic this I’ve enjoyed flicking through it, thanks for sharing your pics and stories. What kind of snake is that? Do you have any venomous in the areas you hunt? 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Chevy Chase said:

Good topic this I’ve enjoyed flicking through it, thanks for sharing your pics and stories. What kind of snake is that? Do you have any venomous in the areas you hunt? 

Glad you enjoyed them.That snake was a rat snake.Non poisonous.As far as poisonous  snakes we have copperhead,rattlesnake and cottonmouth.In the swamps that I dig I mostly encounter cottonmouths.I killed these two around January 2020

Screenshot_20200220-220214.png.c2d002c4ad17e91e75348aee607e7e83.png.0f7066993040a71a991b83c54f14f253.png

During the summer the swamps are full of cottonmouths.

• Like 7
  • 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Why don’t you do much to the groundhogs Rick? 

Its a combination  of several reasons really.First you need a terrier 12 pounds or smaller.Its usually 100 degrees in my area when you dig groundhog.Poison ivy,chiggers and rattlesnakes are a few more reasons.But if you want to see how tight of a tube a terrier is willing to push through then groundhog is the perfect quarry for this in my opinion.

• Like 3