Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

There must be as they are used for avalanche rescue I’m sure an I’m sure some of them must be proper deep, with the old ferret finders didn’t they just add more batteries to give them more range? Must be a way to do it

The brick is the only finder box that is used for finding dogs,all the others are designed and used on the mountains to find people.RIck s you need to find someone who goes off pist skiing and get a transmitter from them (they put them in a zip up pocket) and see if it works any better at a long distance,but when i showed a fella who does go off pist skiing he said my peips box was the same as his but i never saw his transmitter to compare with my B&F collar..

• Like 1

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

Just a point of caution regarding range. It appears that the antenna in the B&F collar does not emit equally at all angles, it is optimised to be most powerful in the up/down direction as it assumes you are roughly above the terrier. For your purpose of a shallow area search you may find you have a much reduced range. It's possible rotating the collar 90 degrees will help. But also bare this in mind when testing other transmitters.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

I would like to tell the story of the two young brothers I posted earlier in the season.

About 3 or 4 years ago I realized I was breeding myself in a corner.I called up a man I had dug with 10 years earlier.I knew he had terriers similar bred to mine.I asked him to keep me in mind if he had something  available. A couple months later he called me and asked if I wanted a niece to my old stud dog.This was an older tested bitch.I was thrilled.It was a 2000 mile round-trip journey to get her.No money was discussed.All the man asked me was to work the pups.I bred this bitch to produce these two young dogs.

The little one has been used on coon in places where the digging is slow but he has done well.

20211201_202216.jpg.ecdd331931a472a70a336ba9e81b090e.jpg

The bigger black one has been used for larger quarry and has shown well.

20211126_121532.jpg.2121d0d5ab0e27fd329ecf79f2993ea8.jpg

20211210_123152.gif.c78e0b3ea4a33188660a5bbd0b8500ce.gif

The man who gifted me the bitch was named Mike.He passed away in April and didn't get to see these terriers work.Rest in peace Mike.You were a true dogman.I will never forget your kindness.

1069144785_730323.jpeg.95c54216dfb313f4821855fc5e2715ed.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had an interesting adventure today but struggled with pictures.I took my boat to a river where the quarry is very educated.Got the boat anchored and started walking through a swamp.I seen an otter swimming with a fish in its mouth at the other end of the swamp.Finally made it there.Otter bolts and goes deeper in the swamp instead of going towards the river as is normal.

I started to walk around a beaver pond hoping the terrier could pick up the scent.

20220207_084411.jpg.a320ffb3b0d37820234b177cd5a4afe5.jpg

Terrier entered under a tree.Otter bolted.At this point i lost his bubble trail.I circled the swamp trying to relocate him but no luck.I began the long walk back to the boat.As I got near the boat I seen ripples.It was the otter circling my boat with his tail raised.?

20220207_113003.gif.baa2304ca90e2c94db563809c809fddd.gif

He had been at the boat waiting on me.As I watched him leave I began to smell a horrible smell.From what I could tell this little b*****d marked his scent under the bow of my boat.According to Otter law He now owns my boat and I'm his girlfriend.?

• Haha 11

I dont often take the time to explain the importance of terrierwork in the swamps.There is a large swamp a few counties over from me that is a sanctuary for some endangered  cranes. The game wardens only allow me to coon hunt it in February  as they say I will disturb the cranes mating rituals.?

I went to this swamp a couple days ago.

20220208_072442.jpg.dd2994f800b719d0a6267f8d56644830.jpg

Found remains of a crane and dug a coon.The coons are so thick in this swamp they are starving and eating the cranes that the government  is supposedly  protecting.Without a few of us coonhunters it would be even worse.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I dont often take the time to explain the importance of terrierwork in the swamps.There is a large swamp a few counties over from me that is a sanctuary for some endangered  cranes. The game wardens only allow me to coon hunt it in February  as they say I will disturb the cranes mating rituals.?

I went to this swamp a couple days ago.

20220208_072442.jpg.dd2994f800b719d0a6267f8d56644830.jpg

Found remains of a crane and dug a coon.The coons are so thick in this swamp they are starving and eating the cranes that the government  is supposedly  protecting.Without a few of us coonhunters it would be even worse.

It's very much the same over here.... Vermin needs controlling for very good reasons!!

Edited by Evil knievil
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Evil knievil said:

It's very much the same over here.... Vermin needs controlling for very good reasons!!

I'm always surprised by how little wildlife biologists  actually  understand  about varmints.Right now ,Biologists are studying  otters in a park in Alaska.These otters continually attack dogs and people.The otters drug a full grown husky in a pond.The otters also stole a child's bike while the little boy was riding it.The biologists say they don't understand. I understand  it.Ive had dogs getting attacked by otters for the past ten years.Biologists are just now realizing  that otters exhibit this behavior.I figure someone will die in America from an otter attack in next 5 years.Have a search for otter attacks on the web.It makes me laugh but I might have a twisted sense of humor.

To close yes all vermin need controlling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1