Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

When I was a kid some coonhunters got in trouble when they were overheard talking  about a certain swamp.After that we made codenames for every swamp.Chinpop,Fingerbite,Lostboot,metal gate,etc .When katchum declared me insane on page 4 of this thread for entering that swamp I named the swamp after him.Game wardens all over Dixie trying to figure out where katchums swamp is.?

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I took the little terrier's littermate digging today.He is built like a twenty pound whippet.He did a good job but time will tell.In my opinion  one of the best feelings  in the world is digging to a young terrier you bred and raised yourself.Even if they are ugly lol 

Screenshot_20211026-104117_Photos.jpg.d3fe67f99c3cf48c5c2c85dd7fe9a78f.jpg

Rick can a terrier kill a coon outright? Or do you dispatch them with your side arm? ?

9 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Rick can a terrier kill a coon outright? Or do you dispatch them with your side arm? ?

It depends on each terrier and each coon and how long the dig takes.Some terriers have a natural born talent for taking the right holds to end it quicker than other terriers.I keep some harder terriers and some mixers.The mixers would be hard-pressed to  kill an adult coon no matter the amount of time.Ive never seen a terrier who could kill their coon everytime.A big boar coon in a tight spot will rarely if ever be dispatched even by the best of terriers in my opinion.

I have been out this morning  digging in a rangy place that holds multiple species at the same time.This place is larger than a football field although not deep. A terrier will go much further than the locator can read.When its pouring down rain and your walking around in circles in a river cane thicket its not much fun .It takes 5 minutes to walk 5 feet sometimes. I use the red brick.I really need something that could reach out wider.My question is, does any of the locators pickup a wider range? 

Any help appreciated.

1 hour ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I have been out this morning  digging in a rangy place that holds multiple species at the same time.This place is larger than a football field although not deep. A terrier will go much further than the locator can read.When its pouring down rain and your walking around in circles in a river cane thicket its not much fun .It takes 5 minutes to walk 5 feet sometimes. I use the red brick.I really need something that could reach out wider.My question is, does any of the locators pickup a wider range? 

Any help appreciated.

Not sure how far the brick goes but my Peips is meant to go to 65 meters,have found a terrier to ground from 45 meters away from it with it though and by feck it saved  the dog..

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

Thanks Mr fireman. The red brick is the same.Thats about 213 feet.I really need something with double that range.

I find the piep boxes better then the red brick. Seem to react quicker to movement and the little beep changing when you get closer. Sometimes in big spots just have it in my pocket till beep changes so I know I’m getting closer 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

There must be as they are used for avalanche rescue I’m sure an I’m sure some of them must be proper deep, with the old ferret finders didn’t they just add more batteries to give them more range? Must be a way to do it

Sure I read somewhere in a terrier book They used to sit the old  finder on a box that amplified the signal Don..?

The frequency 475 khz is used world wide has been since WW2... Maybe the size of the transistor and power supply in the bellman collar limit its range??? they can find them black boxes from airplanes from miles away even under water ??

15 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Sure I read somewhere in a terrier book They used to sit the old  finder on a box that amplified the signal Don..?

The frequency 475 khz is used world wide has been since WW2... Maybe the size of the transistor and power supply in the bellman collar limit its range??? they can find them black boxes from airplanes from miles away even under water ??

In nick stevens book he mentioned about a booster box thing ??‍♂️

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

I find the piep boxes better then the red brick. Seem to react quicker to movement and the little beep changing when you get closer. Sometimes in big spots just have it in my pocket till beep changes so I know I’m getting closer 

I have used the pieps and agree with you.But when you release a terrier in a large place like I'm  talking about the terrier will run through the beaver tubes and be out of range before you can make it 5 feet.At this point do you go north south east or west? But yes i think pieps is better but no further range.