Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

• 6 months later...

I hopped in the kayak early trying to beat the heat.Paddled to one of my favorite spots.When I released  the terrier he ran away into the swamp.I assumed he was tracking a coon until I heard him cry out.I knew then he had encountered  an otter.I struggled to catch up to them.I made it to an opening  just in time to see it bolt.

20210928_111601.gif.4d3a7502de2ab9048eece120e98ef553.gif

• Like 4

An otter usually  swims under the water with only his head  above water.On certain occasions I have seen an otter float on top of the water exposing  his back.When they float  in this manner they are angry and will return to a terrier for another tussle.This little devil returned to the terrier and started up again.20210928_111746.gif.ab402dd4f7a2205838e3674a28fdfcd6.gif

• Like 7
On 24/02/2021 at 03:05, Rickshaw swami said:

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

Screenshot_20210223-201919.png.8bb9f91c1367aa138493ed9053e87eea.png

This 6 foot black racer snake(nonpoisonous)wrapped around my leg so I killed him.Normally I wouldn't kill one of these as they eat smaller poisonous snakes.But when a 6 foot snake is wrapped around your leg it's hard to think clearly.

Screenshot_20210223-201949.png.7f3e76616d1c8a948b010860e710651d.png

Screenshot_20210223-202000.png.4e3780eabcf732b3c3aafc94a1d4a1d3.png

Only found two sets but a coon bolted from one.

A few clips of beaver behavior.When a beaver bolts into shallow water he will try to appear like a log until he can get to deeper water.

gifmaker_1614034003896.gif.28f71da0084e1d57ce48e378e14b713e.gif

After reaching deeper water he will pop his tail on top of the water as a warning to the other beaver.

gifmaker_1613919812831.gif.30c84366d481456ea4ac7dcb8ee71047.gif

I uses to keep rat snakes ,some can be fcukers for biting ,lot of keepers train on these before going to venomous snakes as they fisty and quick strikers .

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

I uses to keep rat snakes ,some can be fcukers for biting ,lot of keepers train on these before going to venomous snakes as they fisty and quick strikers .

We have grey rat snakes around here.They get in the top of my barn especially  on dry summers for some reason.

I spent this morning getting chased by  cottonmouths(venomous).Could have used your help.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

We have grey rat snakes around here.They get in the top of my barn especially  on dry summers for some reason.

I spent this morning getting chased by  cottonmouths(venomous).Could have used your help.

I not kept snakes for 15 Yr, back then I'd have jumped at the chance to handle some of the stuff you get in the states 

Some rat snakes will hunt and eat venomous ones no problem especially the black racer . 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

1795562492_Screenshot_20211022-111758_Photos2.jpg.a42f4492c704588b4b66a09bb937412d.jpg

This little dog has been showing well for me. He got a coon in a muskrat set this morning.The tube was the size of your fist.He pushed his way through.Most  terriers cant fit in a muskrat tube.I realized today just how small this terrier is.When I got home I weighed him out of curiosity. 11 pounds 12ounces.?  

• Like 17
On 22/10/2021 at 18:16, Rickshaw swami said:

1795562492_Screenshot_20211022-111758_Photos2.jpg.a42f4492c704588b4b66a09bb937412d.jpg

This little dog has been showing well for me. He got a coon in a muskrat set this morning.The tube was the size of your fist.He pushed his way through.Most  terriers cant fit in a muskrat tube.I realized today just how small this terrier is.When I got home I weighed him out of curiosity. 11 pounds 12ounces.?  

Rick do coons mix it with the terrier or just bolt and have you ever had a dog bitten by a snake "venomous " your a brave man walking around swamps full of  cottonmouths and do you get snapper turtles and gaters in your area?

On 22/10/2021 at 18:16, Rickshaw swami said:

A good little un will always beat a good biggun at gerrin down muskrat tubes 

3 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Rick do coons mix it with the terrier or just bolt and have you ever had a dog bitten by a snake "venomous " your a brave man walking around swamps full of  cottonmouths and do you get snapper turtles and gaters in your area?

Coons will mix it up.If the coon has the upper hand he will continue to mix.If the coon begins to lose he will try to bolt by swimming or climbing.

As far as venomous  snake bites on dogs.When I was a teenager I had a terrier to get bit twice by a copperhead while trying to kill it.We called our vet.He said to give the terrier antihistamine (benadryl) and he would be better in 4 or 5 days.For 3 days this terrier laid on the back porch.His head look like a balloon  full of water.But the vet was right by day 5 the terrier was up and playing.

I wear snake proof chaps everytime  I go with the terriers.If you ever seen how scared I am in these swamps by myself you wouldn't call me brave.Ive been known to scream like a wildcat when a frog jumps beside me.?

We do have snapping turtles.Screenshot_20211024-054048_Photos.jpg.c800df50404e8aa35f684e8ffdd0fbd6.jpg

We don't have as many gators as places further south.I have  ran into 1 so far since first of September. It was about 8 ft long and was terrified of me.They are shy compared to the way they are portrayed.They basically aren't a threat to people but would happily eat a terrier.

Its the combination  of several things that make my hunting miserable ,Poison oak,Mosquitos,thorns,Horseflies,Hornets,leeches,septic water,bottomless mud bogs,excessive heat.But those cottonmouths give me night mares.

The place I nicknamed  Katchums swamp has gators and more cottonmouths  than anywhere I've seen.Just surviving that swamp I feel is an accomplishment.

Screenshot_20211024-054145_Photos.jpg.c24e2a2a1f5ef0960fd0dd643810217b.jpg

• Like 10
7 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

Coons will mix it up.If the coon has the upper hand he will continue to mix.If the coon begins to lose he will try to bolt by swimming or climbing.

As far as venomous  snake bites on dogs.When I was a teenager I had a terrier to get bit twice by a copperhead while trying to kill it.We called our vet.He said to give the terrier antihistamine (benadryl) and he would be better in 4 or 5 days.For 3 days this terrier laid on the back porch.His head look like a balloon  full of water.But the vet was right by day 5 the terrier was up and playing.

I wear snake proof chaps everytime  I go with the terriers.If you ever seen how scared I am in these swamps by myself you wouldn't call me brave.Ive been known to scream like a wildcat when a frog jumps beside me.?

We do have snapping turtles.Screenshot_20211024-054048_Photos.jpg.c800df50404e8aa35f684e8ffdd0fbd6.jpg

We don't have as many gators as places further south.I have  ran into 1 so far since first of September. It was about 8 ft long and was terrified of me.They are shy compared to the way they are portrayed.They basically aren't a threat to people but would happily eat a terrier.

Its the combination  of several things that make my hunting miserable ,Poison oak,Mosquitos,thorns,Horseflies,Hornets,leeches,septic water,bottomless mud bogs,excessive heat.But those cottonmouths give me night mares.

The place I nicknamed  Katchums swamp has gators and more cottonmouths  than anywhere I've seen.Just surviving that swamp I feel is an accomplishment.

Screenshot_20211024-054145_Photos.jpg.c24e2a2a1f5ef0960fd0dd643810217b.jpg

Your old terrier very lucky that it wasn't a cottonmouth ,copperhead are venomous and pack a punch as you no but no where near a hit like cottonmouth ,me mate used to train with a false water cobra "rear fanged " and not anufe venom to kill a human but he got bit few times and said it was like being hit over and over with claw hammer.id be wanting a full suit if I was over there never mind chaps ? 

Do you travel to different states at times to hunt and is it just terriers you work .

• Like 1