Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.

1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

I'm sorry pal but you're seriously not trying to claim working terriers are gamer than dogs bred for the box? 

Can I ask you then why has bull been added to working terriers and other dogs with regularity over the years and not the other way around. 

Put it this way it isn't just to add size and substance. 

Name one good line of terrier with APBT in it.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

On 17/12/2020 at 09:16, king said:

Them coyotes are very clever fair play mate.

This is a good watch..

Those dogs would be handy where I just moved to on the coast,feral dogs here are bad killing 15 alpacas across the road,heaps of cattle and even horses attacked recently.

8 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Those dogs would be handy where I just moved to on the coast,feral dogs here are bad killing 15 alpacas across the road,heaps of cattle and even horses attacked recently.

What's the laws there mate.if you wanted to hunt them using dogs..

3 minutes ago, king said:

What's the laws there mate.if you wanted to hunt them using dogs..

On private land you can hunt any feral animal apart from deer legally with catch dogs as far as I know.It's a bit of a grey area , they mainly bait and trap but they have been using staghound types on dingoes since white settlement. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Hatch28 said:

Name one good line of terrier with APBT in it.

Not necessarily APBT but Wheeler is a fine example of bull added blood, in fact he used a breed inferior to that of the APBT. 

Why do you think he did that and do you think he's the only one to have done it, Nuttall has also claimed pit fighting dogs were added to his strain of dogs before him. 

Take another example as well, how many Wheaten's have bull in their blood? 

Edited by Greb147
49 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

On private land you can hunt any feral animal apart from deer legally with catch dogs as far as I know.It's a bit of a grey area , they mainly bait and trap but they have been using staghound types on dingoes since white settlement. 

A good bit of sport there for you then mate.get a big runner or 2 and have a go at them..

• Like 2

2 well known peddlers there... That would happily tell you what you wanted to hear, so as to lighten the wedge in your wallet greb, the best families of working terriers around today won't be outcrossing to apbt/bull blood or jagd etc .... In fact they wouldn't entertain it, as its sets you back , we still have the very best working earth dog blood there is... No amount of bullshit peds/stolen and failed dogs sold to the highest bidder will ever change that... Money and egos is what will kill off these little dogs in the end. ? 

• Like 4
Just now, Daniel cain said:

2 well known peddlers there... That would happily tell you what you wanted to hear, so as to lighten the wedge in your wallet greb, the best families of working terriers around today won't be outcrossing to apbt/bull blood or jagd etc .... In fact they wouldn't entertain it, as its sets you back , we still have the very best working earth dog blood there is... No amount of bullshit peds/stolen and failed dogs sold to the highest bidder will ever change that... Money and egos is what will kill off these little dogs in the end. ? 

Come on Dan you can't deny that bull blood has been added to the black un's over the years.

Yes they might be peddlers but some good dogs have come off them, didn't Wheeler use some ugly staff bitch, One Eyed Bess/Jess or something? 

The same goes for the Wheaten's, even most Irish lads will agree that bull blood runs rampant through many of these dogs. 

My point is you wouldn't add outside blood to those dogs that are bred for the box. 

At the end of the day picking your brains about the history of the dogs isn't going to change much.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Not necessarily APBT but Wheeler is a fine example of bull added blood, in fact he used a breed inferior to that of the APBT. 

Why do you think he did that and do you think he's the only one to have done it, Nuttall has also claimed pit fighting dogs were added to his strain of dogs before him. 

Take another example as well, how many Wheaten's have bull in their blood? 

There was a big difference in good staff blood presuming thats what was available at the time  and Id say the real reason them men used it was to churn out the puppies and thats a good while back to, it would be hard to judge old staffs to APBT I certaintly wouldnt consider APBT supperior to old game staffs is'nt grand champion barney staff x APBT ?.

Now wheatens are them selves hairy gamedogs with lots of staff and EBT added,I can remember a 3/4 pit 1/4 wheaton that was doing very well into pure APBT

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hatch28 said:

There was a big difference in good staff blood presuming thats what was available at the time  and Id say the real reason them men used it was to churn out the puppies and thats a good while back to, it would be hard to judge old staffs to APBT I certaintly wouldnt consider APBT supperior to old game staffs is'nt grand champion barney staff x APBT ?.

Now wheatens are them selves hairy gamedogs with lots of staff and EBT added,I can remember a 3/4 pit 1/4 wheaton that was doing very well into pure APBT

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if it is Staff or APBT, game is game no matter the breed but my point is game dogs were added to working terriers

Why do you think that is, yes they will add size and substance but why not outcross to another working terrier breed? 

My point is for any breed, if you want to add gameness or whatever you want to call it you would go back to bull. 

1 minute ago, Greb147 said:

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if it is Staff or APBT, game is game no matter the breed but my point is game dogs were added to working terriers

Why do you think that is, yes they will add size and substance but why not outcross to another working terrier breed? 

My point is for any breed, if you want to add gameness or whatever you want to call it you would go back to bull. 

It does matter Ive dug over APBT crosses white ones and black ones they have a bad style of working and  Ive never seen one to last a few seasons any Ive seen have jacked staff crosses have done better the reason being APBT are not truely game.

Theres been loads of terrier/terrier crosses with good affect.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

It was done yrs ago yes, not disputing that... But there's no one over here doing it now.... Ask yourself why? 

Hopefully because there's a big enough gene pool to dip in to? 

Take Nuttall, apparently his story changes as the wind blows when asked if he added bull blood. I'm sure if it was added most wouldn't mention it. 

Edited by Greb147
4 minutes ago, Hatch28 said:

It does matter Ive dug over APBT crosses white ones and black ones they have a bad style of working and  Ive never seen one to last a few seasons any Ive seen have jacked staff crosses have done better the reason being APBT are not truely game.

Theres been loads of terrier/terrier crosses with good affect.

You are talking rubbish pal, how can you say they are not truly game when staffs throw nowhere near the percentage of game dogs as the apbt? 

Why do you think the Irish lads were importing apbt back in to their country to compete in the game?

12 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

You are talking rubbish pal, how can you say they are not truly game when staffs throw nowhere near the percentage of game dogs as the apbt? 

Why do you think the Irish lads were importing apbt back in to their country to compete in the game?

They dont have to be truly game to do the job their bred for they dont take the punishment a good working terrier takes.

• Like 2