Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

We have had a cold snap here in Dixie so I  stopped working for a week to just chase terriers.I was told this morning it was colder in Alabama than in Alaska.I am stuck at home with a heavy frost on but everything of age needs a good rest.So if I can't dig might as well talk about it.

This little feller had  a birthday last week.When his father asked him what he wanted for his eighth birthday.He said he wanted to lamp coons in the rocks with me.He had a good time.

These rocks are movable.

Screenshot_20201201-172230.png.5e7af71933841b6646330f3c2f3c4e8d.png

Screenshot_20201201-172257.png.30912e4e9bccb0bf07e4db528645cff4.png

A 10-12 lb  terrier is necessary to stop a coon in the white rocks shown below.Any bigger terrier will get stuck and the coon glides through these rocks like a fish in water.Some of these rockpiles go for a mile but not deep so it makes for an interesting race.You should keep terriers for the ground you dig.One man's trash is another man's treasure.And I will always treasure the good little ones.

Screenshot_20201201-172310.png.f7e9e0ec24441af247da66808ff0c396.png

20 lb coon in a spot I could barely fit my fist.12 lb bitch made it there and kept coon from leaving.

This second season 12lb bitch has been a joy to dig this season in very tight spots.

Screenshot_20201201-181945.png.c7551d0d68b5f1c209d8950a41816b62.png

Screenshot_20201201-172423.png.db4010ee4f996e3e453221af4ab59e9d.png

There's a bolted coon hiding in there.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Impressive ?

The first picture I posted was rocks dumped by barges along the rivers edge so they can dock empty barges there.

The white rocks were delivered by barges and placed along rivers edge to prevent erosion.Sometimes going a mile or longer.They are not nearly as deep as what y'all work.

That's some nice testing ground ?. I wished I could get an excavator on my boat?99% of my digging is done alone in the middle of nowhere on an island.On the plus side my rockdigs are usually 2m or less.but it can all generally be shifted by hand without the aid of many tools.There is very little dirt involved.You jus need a strong back and a weak mind. Honestly I avoid areas like you just posted.Tip my hat to you Mr RF 

I do have friends and family who are just a phone call away.They are the people who really make what I do possible and none of them keep terriers but are always willing to help me.If I ever did decide to sell a terrier I would feel obligated to give these people the money,,(wife included) 

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2020 at 14:53, foxdropper said:

Do any of you boys work the badger over there or coyotes with terriers of any sort .

Ain’t no terrier that doesn’t have something added to it doesn’t stand a chance with a coyote. The most active man i know of when it comes to hunting with dogs. Both hog hunting and terrier work and by active I’m mean atleast one time a week usually three. More hog hunting because there is no spec season needed fair game all year. Terrier work in. Season. When out with the terriers he always has one of the bigger dogs he uses as catch dogs with him because the coyotes will go foe the little terrier without hesitation and will be killed without tfe other dog. He’s got a couple pictures where a coyote actually has one of his terrier by the head and his Dogo has it by the throat and the rocket his bull x grey has the back end. Both the dog and rocket can take one out by themselves and have done so many times. Trust me he wouldn’t keep a bulldog type meaning bred to catch and hold and better not let go. If he had a dog like that and it took the dog more than five minutes to kill a yote he wouldn’t own it. A working bull type that couldn’t do that is very low quality. 

And using terriers on American badger. Anyone who tells you there dogs dog to them regularly is talking out of the ass. A dog would be lucky to be alive after one time never mind two or more 

1 minute ago, foxdropper said:

Along the lines of what I thought mate .What terriers do you keep bud .

I don’t own any terriers as far as a true terrier as goes to ground lol. I’m a bulldog guy( American pit bull terrier) a couple friend keep a few and I tag along once in while. If I wasn’t able to own bulldogs I would definitely own a terrier and learn everything I could from my two buddies about digging. As far as working dogs go a good terrier is top notch. Besides a bulldog they are my favorite. 

• Like 1
On 14/02/2020 at 18:44, king said:

I read this comment about coyotes.

Are they this clever rickshaw..

Screenshot_20200214-225116.jpg.d689f608af34c1f28497b6e909a7c5a5.jpg

Yep. Baiting a dog is a fairly common tactic they use. They will get close and see whether or not the dog will give chase. If the dog goes for it they will keep enough distance between them and the dog where they are close enough so the dog thinks it has a chance of catching them. If the dog breaks off the chase sometimes they will stop and try teasing the dog again to chase them.  Just to give you an idea of how the speed of a coyote of a dog doesn’t have some type of running dog in the mix they ain’t catching them no way. Only time a dog like an American pit bull terrier can kill one is if the coyote is the one to engage and it does happen sometimes with the dogs in the 30-40 lb range. But most of the time of the bulldog doesn’t have a hard enough bite to one out the son of a bitch the yote will get away when the bulldog goes to get a better hold. 

• Like 1