Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

On 27/02/2020 at 20:16, Accip74 said:

Surely many dogs did survive the famine though?

We could only eat Catholic dogs the Priest told us,so only Protestant dogs left in Ireland after the famine.When it was all over we dognapped the Prod dogs and forced them to learn the Angelus and converted them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Tried for beaver but got a muskrat today.

Screenshot_20200228-123244.png.54d661adebdef0d9961310153d47797b.png

Screenshot_20200228-123328.png.bfe85f7a330367ee9df9fdb07bca2198.png

It is a tight fit in a muskrat tube.This bitch finished her first season today.She has had roughly 20 digs to coon possum beaver and now muskrat.I try to end a terriers first season with them feeling like King of the world.Next season she will be properly tested on otter.

• Like 7
10 hours ago, liamdelaney said:

We could only eat Catholic dogs the Priest told us,so only Protestant dogs left in Ireland after the famine.When it was all over we dognapped the Prod dogs and forced them to learn the Angelus and converted them.

? All joking aside I thought it was an interesting point that enough Irish dogs must of survived the famine, the origins of which would of become or already had been some of your most recognisable types & breeds. 

2 hours ago, Accip74 said:

? All joking aside I thought it was an interesting point that enough Irish dogs must of survived the famine, the origins of which would of become or already had been some of your most recognisable types & breeds. 

I have often thought about this as Irish history has been a passion of mine,as said the monument in Dublin is bs as the dog would have been eating long before he got to the boat,there was even reports of Cannibalism,so under these circumstances Lassie would not stand a chance.In theory every dog in Ireland should have been eaten,but this does not seem to have been the case.Just to add the working class English were treated not much better better than the Irish and were often hungry while his Lordship had an abundance of game and wealth,we were all looked on as shit by the English aristocracy.The English showed what they thought of there own working class when they baton charged World War One vets as they marched for better conditions and work.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, liamdelaney said:

I have often thought about this as Irish history has been a passion of mine,as said the monument in Dublin is bs as the dog would have been eating long before he got to the boat,there was even reports of Cannibalism,so under these circumstances Lassie would not stand a chance.In theory every dog in Ireland should have been eaten,but this does not seem to have been the case.Just to add the working class English were treated not much better better than the Irish and were often hungry while his Lordship had an abundance of game and wealth,we were all looked on as shit by the English aristocracy.The English showed what they thought of there own working class when they baton charged World War One vets as they marched for better conditions and work.

Would they have been taken over by planters I wonder Liam (Scots- Irish/Ulster Scots/ hillbillies or whatever ).They cleared the Scottish highlands of people a few years before.( Needed them and us for their colonial ambitions)

36 minutes ago, tinytiger said:

Would they have been taken over by planters I wonder Liam (Scots- Irish/Ulster Scots/ hillbillies or whatever ).They cleared the Scottish highlands of people a few years before.( Needed them and us for their colonial ambitions)

More than likely some were,it's also probably the case the people who did not suffer through the famine kept dogs as well.Im only guessing here as it's a mystery to me.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, liamdelaney said:

More than likely some were,it's also probably the case the people who did not suffer through the famine kept dogs as well.Im only guessing here as it's a mystery to me.

The type of working terrier of which I spoke has always been kept mostly by Gangsters,pimps and pugilist.These people generally had more disposable income.Follow the black market money and you will follow the history of apbt.Sad but true as they have always attracted the underworld of society.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

The type of working terrier of which I spoke has always been kept mostly by Gangsters,pimps and pugilist.These people generally had more disposable income.Follow the black market money and you will follow the history of apbt.Sad but true as they have always attracted the underworld of society.

Where I come from they were kept by mostly working class,they were not in it for money,just for the sport and the dogs.I have also been to an old Gentry house with a full shore made to a high standard.

• Like 2

There has been good working men involved in these dogs here but usually there lines died with the owner.Some of these men had it in their will to put down the dogs. In Dixie they traded the shore for a boar in a corral and called them catch competition which became illegal here in the 21st century.We also played wild boar poker at these events.4 men sitting at a card table inside the corral with a big boar.The last man in his seat wins.I have never won.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 25/02/2020 at 14:09, Rickshaw swami said:

American pitbull was a byproduct of the Great Famine in Ireland.They brought them here to America.Not trying to argue just wanted to state the fact. 

The American pit bull is not the same dog that they (which ever story one believes) brought over.... and they are FAR SUPERIOR. Not trying to argue just wanted to state the unequivocal FACT

Edited by 1of1