Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

On 01/02/2020 at 19:53, Rickshaw swami said:

Thank you Fatman for contributing.Mr robbusher if you are asking me generally I don't carry a firearm but do on occasion.I usually dig by myself and carry as little gear as possible we have very few bears here and no cougars.Wild hog is about the only dangerous big game.If a jag gets one Bayer up in a corner it can get interesting as you have to get around and grab a back leg and throw him.Sometimes I have wished that I would have brought a firearm.

Any pics of your jagds   Enjoying the posts off you

2 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I will humbly bow out as you obviously know more of my country than I.

You stated it as fact. 

I didn’t spend two years obsessing over the flight of Irish people during the potato famine for my history a level for nothing . I have an historical obsession with the famine and a familial lineage to these people. 

The modern images of Ethiopia in the 80s were akin to the famine. People didn’t have the wealth, means or facility to ship fighting dogs to the USA advanced they fled . It was carnage and hell on earth. 

“The Island it is silent now , but the ghosts still haunt the waves . And a torch lights up a famished land who fortune could not save”

• Like 2
1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

You stated it as fact. 

I didn’t spend two years obsessing over the flight of Irish people during the potato famine for my history a level for nothing . I have an historical obsession with the famine and a familial lineage to these people. 

The modern images of Ethiopia in the 80s were akin to the famine. People didn’t have the wealth, means or facility to ship fighting dogs to the USA advanced they fled . It was carnage and hell on earth. 

“The Island it is silent now , but the ghosts still haunt the waves . And a torch lights up a famished land who fortune could not save”

The Island it is silent now , but the ghosts still haunt the waves . And a torch lights up a famished land who fortune could not save”

Nicely written stiff.

Atb j 

3 hours ago, fat man said:

Trouble, over sized, over hyped,over rated, trouble 

A lot of pig hunters here don't like APBT blood in their dogs as they tend to fight the pigs,grabbing the nose, instead of working them and getting a sensible hold,they much prefer EBT blood.In some ways pits are the ultimate dog, a step too ultimate for a lot of things though imo.

• Like 1

Mr Aussie 

I don't know how y'all pig hunt there.Where I live we use baydogs such as jagdterrier,plotthound or cur.When hog is bayed up we lead a catchdog to the hog and release.This catchdog must take one bite on the ear.If he takes a second bite he didn't get to stay.We generally leg a hog or sometimes used a knife.I have seen most types of catchdog.Most I wouldn't feed.When your asking a 30-40 lb catchdog to hold a 250 lb boar and protect you I hope the catchdog is  a step too ultimate as I know men who have died playing this game.

Here is a picture of one of those type.He was reliable and kept me safe.Popeye was his name.Memories of good dogs haunt  most hog hunters here.

IMG_20190414_180529858.jpg.8e356dd0b65c5ab27737eaf764b504db.jpg

With that being said they have no place in the digging game.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Rickshaw swami said:

Mr Aussie 

I don't know how y'all pig hunt there.Where I live we use baydogs such as jagdterrier,plotthound or cur.When hog is bayed up we lead a catchdog to the hog and release.This catchdog must take one bite on the ear.If he takes a second bite he didn't get to stay.We generally leg a hog or sometimes used a knife.I have seen most types of catchdog.Most I wouldn't feed.When your asking a 30-40 lb catchdog to hold a 250 lb boar and protect you I hope the catchdog is  a step too ultimate as I know men who have died playing this game.

Here is a picture of one of those type.He was reliable and kept me safe.Popeye was his name.Memories of good dogs haunt  most hog hunters here.

IMG_20190414_180529858.jpg.8e356dd0b65c5ab27737eaf764b504db.jpg

With that being said they have no place in the digging game.

Good licking dog that. 

Atb j 

On 25/02/2020 at 21:10, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Not having it all . 

The famine was an absolute holocaust. 

The idea that somehow bull types would have travelled to the new world in coffin ships is quaint but laughable. 

They would have been eaten. People couldn’t feed their kids and were eating rats and cats in Ireland before the mass exodus , not only to America but to mainland uk predominantly the west coast of Scotland and northern England . 

All the while prosperous settlers from the highly industrialised midlands ,South Wales  London and agricultural areas of the uk moved en mass to America throughout this period. 

Who do you seriously think carried the forebears of the apbt? 

Can’t possibly have been huge swathes of Black Country residents or the cockney gentlemen? 

I mean it’s not like they had dogs that resembled early bull terriers is it? 

Oh , Hang on a minute ....

You are quiet right the starving Irish would have eaten the dog,they ate the rats and cats,even the grass.There is a monument down the docks in Dublin of starving Irish getting the boat to leave,with them is a dog,it's bullshit the dog would be in the pot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, liamdelaney said:

You are quiet right the starving Irish would have eaten the dog,they ate the rats and cats,even the grass.There is a monument down the docks in Dublin of starving Irish getting the boat to leave,with them is a dog,it's bullshit the dog would be in the pot.

Question is Liam,how you keeping by the way, back to question, why were the Irish starving. 

• Like 2

I apologise for starting this hornet's nest.According to records there was a million Irish immigrants to North America in the years leading up to The Great Famine.Most of these were young men in their 20's who came alone.The information I have found generally portrays their terriers in very similar appearance to bull Russell's.

• Like 2