Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.

1of1 how did your dogs do on the badgers ? As some of your dogs are small types , my mates bitch is small not much to her she not a digging dog but bolting dog she will let game past her she not strong enough to hold , did your dogs keep them in one place or lot of moving about , what l'v seen on net look a very aggressive animals 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, tank34 said:

1of1 how did your dogs do on the badgers ? As some of your dogs are small types , my mates bitch is small not much to her she not a digging dog but bolting dog she will let game past her she not strong enough to hold , did your dogs keep them in one place or lot of moving about , what l'v seen on net look a very aggressive animals 

Forget the image you've got in your head, they don't have anything like an established badger sett, they just scratch out a piss pot hole, nothing on the scale you're thinking about. 

Granted I was only there for 3 weeks,  but I saw dozens of scratched out places, all looking fresh, but all empty.  The one thing every place had in common was they were nothing more than an old rabbit hole or some other rodent hole.

What's better than a terrier running an earth..................three, obviously  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
On 13/02/2020 at 00:30, 1of1 said:

They use earth sets but they move frequently. Out west If you can find parrie dog communities you can often find them not too far. That’s how we tracked them down. Their sets here are not as complicated as the sets over there (although there have been some DEEP digs to them this side. 
 That being said they are FAR FAR more aggressive here in the states. If something enters their set they come looking for a fight. Above ground they are also very aggressive. 

Do you tail them? 

On 13/02/2020 at 06:06, dillydog said:

They're nomadic,  they clean dozens of sets out every night, I checked place after place looking for one but never found one. They don't establish a few big sets like our badgers, they drift around and clean out tiny rabbit holes. 

Have a look on YouTube,  there's a few videos on there, even one with lads digging one out.

Seen a few vids with coyote and those American badges.... them badgers dig quicker than a jcb an a coyote look way too much for a terrier i thought but I don't know first hand 

3 hours ago, hoosier said:

Coyotes look bigger then they really are. There isn’t much under all that fur. With that said, it would take a big terrier (wheaten, glen etc) to deal with one. The real issues with coyotes here is that they are usually not alone. 

Mr Hoosier 

You are correct.The terriers I have seen get attacked was by 2 yearling males weighing roughly 30 lbs apiece usually.they can stretch a terrier fast this way.I have always assumed they have been kicked from pack and looking for easy meal.But coyotes are afraid of shovels ?

8 hours ago, dillydog said:

Forget the image you've got in your head, they don't have anything like an established badger sett, they just scratch out a piss pot hole, nothing on the scale you're thinking about. 

Granted I was only there for 3 weeks,  but I saw dozens of scratched out places, all looking fresh, but all empty.  The one thing every place had in common was they were nothing more than an old rabbit hole or some other rodent hole.

What's better than a terrier running an earth..................three, obviously  ?

Reminds me of the Beaufort days gone by .No need for a collar just watch direction and count the dogs going in 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
9 hours ago, tank34 said:

The dogs that I used to dig were larger dogs one was 26 pounds this dog was the main reason I chose to go out west to work badger because he was quite big for my area the other dog was 22 pounds. Several of the dogs that I have posted on here look smaller than what they are in person and some of them look larger than what they are in person it is really next to impossible to get a real reference from a picture

The 26 pound dog that we used was fairly mute I guess you would say the 22 pound dog was a mixer. We were able to dig to them using the normal tools of the trade ace of spade shovels & pry bars

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dillydog said:

This video will give you more of an idea, he even gives his views on why he used three terriers, I don't agree but he's level headed and he's welcome to his views. 

Quite a few people don’t like how they work their dogs. I do not work my dogs in the same fashion but that being said at least they are working their dogs. That is more than can be said for many othersQuite a few people don’t like how they work their dogs. I do not work my dogs in the same fashion but that being said at least they are working their dogs. That is more than can be said for many others

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, king said:

Them coyotes look quick on there feet.

Be good to lamp..some vast land out there with no fences for 10's of miles..

Yes when people say that they have Doug to them it usually makes experience hunters question them. Normally they do not go to ground unless you run them for quite some time with hounds at which point in time they may go up in a culvert or something like that

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 1of1 said:

Quite a few people don’t like how they work their dogs. I do not work my dogs in the same fashion but that being said at least they are working their dogs. That is more than can be said for many othersQuite a few people don’t like how they work their dogs. I do not work my dogs in the same fashion but that being said at least they are working their dogs. That is more than can be said for many others

Feck me 1of1 

I can't work out who's working what reading that post.

And I've read it twice ?

• Haha 3