Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.

2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Do these badger live in earth setts or above ground in piles etc? 

They use earth sets but they move frequently. Out west If you can find parrie dog communities you can often find them not too far. That’s how we tracked them down. Their sets here are not as complicated as the sets over there (although there have been some DEEP digs to them this side. 
 That being said they are FAR FAR more aggressive here in the states. If something enters their set they come looking for a fight. Above ground they are also very aggressive. 

• Like 2

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Do these badger live in earth setts or above ground in piles etc? 

They're nomadic,  they clean dozens of sets out every night, I checked place after place looking for one but never found one. They don't establish a few big sets like our badgers, they drift around and clean out tiny rabbit holes. 

Have a look on YouTube,  there's a few videos on there, even one with lads digging one out.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, dillydog said:

They're nomadic,  they clean dozens of sets out every night, I checked place after place looking for one but never found one. They don't establish a few big sets like our badgers, they drift around and clean out tiny rabbit holes. 

Have a look on YouTube,  there's a few videos on there, even one with lads digging one out.

Mr Dilly

American otter and American badger are the same as far as being nomadic from what I know from someone who has chased both.But otters overtake beaver sets for residence.Me and daughter call these places castles.As you say they drift.For the first few years I thought the same of otter as I had no success other than keeping me in shape.After chasing 4 families over 300 miles of river I did see patterns emerge from generation to generation.With the aid of Google Earth and maps and markers.chasing otter isn't like going to have a dig for coon or fox.Its a battle of wits that takes a lifetime and time is running out.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, dillydog said:

They are not truly nomadic. Nomadic animals have no territory the American badger have a territory that they do not leave and they are highly territorial. I used to think there were nomads myself but the guide we used to locate them proved me wrong. 

Edited by 1of1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, 1of1 said:

They are not truly nomadic. Nomadic animals have no territory the American badger have a territory that they do not leave and they are highly territorial. I used to think there were nomads myself but the guide we used to locate them proved me wrong. 

And you didn't find one..........perhaps it tuned back Into a nomadic creature ?

Perhaps I used the wrong terminology,  I just meant they weren't an animal you're nailed on to find like the European badger

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dillydog said:

And you didn't find one..........perhaps it tuned back Into a nomadic creature ?

Perhaps I used the wrong terminology,  I just meant they weren't an animal you're nailed on to find like the European badger

Their range is quite big though anywhere from 2 -40 miles.. but they indeed stay true to their range.. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, dillydog said:

I didn’t mean anything negative about it. I was just helping inform people or repeating what the guide told me when i used the same term. But that being said We did find them. I think you are confusing me with the other man that said he didn’t find them. I dug to two the last time i was out there. But you are certainly right they are not the same as the European badger at all

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

Otter is the same here.otters have 2-5Mile range in winter 10+ in summer.Is that how badger are?

I don’t know if they change based on the weather or not. I do know you can find them in the north in cold states like Michigan (the northern part of the state) as well as further west. I ended up west hunting my dogs a few years back because they were quite big for my area being 25lbs 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 1of1 said:

I didn’t mean anything negative about it. I was just helping inform people or repeating what the guide told me when i used the same term. But that being said We did find them. I think you are confusing me with the other man that said he didn’t find them. I dug to two the last time i was out there. But you are certainly right they are not the same as the European badger at all

I was quoting you from the New Mexico trip, I've had offers to go back out with what should be a better percentage of digging one, I might just take them up.

• Like 1