Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Jambalaya said:

Why wouldi keep groundhog dogs when my state has no groundhogs?

I thought I was replying to 1of1 not you. 

Anyway do you work your dogs on small coons mostly. Like 1 of 1.

And would you drive 10+ hrs to work your dogs on larger coon ?

1 of 1 mentioned g hogs first not me as I stated I thought I was replying to him but by all means continue 

Edited by Steak knife
10 hours ago, Steak knife said:

U keep other terriers for groundhogs then ?

Some of the ac breedings Will throw small dogs.  So I have a couple that can work ground hog. As far as travel I’ve hopped in a plane for a 4 hr flight and then drove for 9 hours to hunt a couple of times. More often though I’ll get on a plane and then have to drive 2-3 hours and work the dogs. someone asked what i do with the dogs after hunting it just depends if they are appropriate I’ll fly them back with me you have to use caution if you do this and kinda know the airlines systems (I’ve learned a lot because if fly frequently if you are not crossing country boarders and know what you are doing they never even see the dogs except at security and they could care less about the dog they are looking for bombs other weapons and drugs) OBVIOUSLY DO NOT DO THIS IN THE UK it’s legal here in the states as long as you care for your dogs and do not neglect them ....if they are not appropriate I will either leave them with the friend I hunted with or pay a ground shipper to bring them back to my house. I like my dogs a lot and enjoy the after care of my dogs so I prefer to do this rather then  leave them with a friend

Edited by 1of1
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, Steak knife said:

I thought I was replying to 1of1 not you. 

Anyway do you work your dogs on small coons mostly. Like 1 of 1.

And would you drive 10+ hrs to work your dogs on larger coon ?

1 of 1 mentioned g hogs first not me as I stated I thought I was replying to him but by all means continue 

Also you can work ground hog with bigger dogs but you will have to dig them out at each bend in the set which is a pain

• Like 1

I have known of  3 different terriers enter coyote dens on different occasions on accident.Only 1 survived.Coyotes are alot for a single handed bull lurcher.I have had coyotes to run in and grab a terrier while walking through swamp but they will usually spit them out but the damage is done.I personally only knew one man who targeted badger as I don't have them in my area.He used nuttall staff crosses.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Do any of you boys work the badger over there or coyotes with terriers of any sort .

I have done badger work in Utah. Also went out to New Mexico in hopes of doing badgeR work but did not have success... I do not recommend putting a terrier on coyotes at any point in time. A healthy adult coyote will demolish a single  terrier very quickly. Anyone that says different is either putting a lot of bull blood in their dogs or they are flat out liers who do not hunt

Edited by 1of1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I have known of  3 different terriers enter coyote dens on different occasions on accident.Only 1 survived.Coyotes are alot for a single handed bull lurcher.I have had coyotes to run in and grab a terrier while walking through swamp but they will usually spit them out but the damage is done.I personally only knew one man who targeted badger as I don't have them in my area.He used nuttall staff crosses.

you keep hunting them otters you wont go far wrong the best breed of terrier of a hundred years ago was bred to hunt them , the border terrier the forerunner of the patterdale , once the otter was taken off the menu  the border lost ground to the blacks , bull was  thought to be a quick fix , from what I've seen , more like problems poor nose , lack of sense and many way to big  or it's been added for a look for £££

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1