Terrier work in the USA - Photos and Stories.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a call from a farmer who's got trouble with beaver flooding his cotton field.He asked me to take a look.Its a small swamp but I took a few pictures.Theres a terrier in this first picture.

I will post some pictures good enough for public viewfrom this season.I will not reply to fighting or crying.The third picture down was in a rangy place.I located the bitch 200 yards from entrance wit

Barn Hunting with a group of friends in Iowa February 2001. Racoons are widely regarded as pests and do a considerable amount of damage. They damage farmer's crops and get into barns where t

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Mate .if I’m totally off track here say so .

You boys say you need small narrow chested dogs to work anything over there which I totally understand .

So if you use a 25 lb dog over say a 14 lb bitch the pups can and will range from 18 to 22 which is huge even for our standards .Put the smallest dog of that breeding over a terrier bitch and you may see 14 to 20 but I’ll wager the higher end .Still on the large side for earth work with you it appears .

One of those dogs over a decent bitch will bring you somewhere handy but that is 2 gens wasted and untested to ground .

Those 3rd gen pups put to each other will breed true and form the bases of a line but ....

if you used decent staff in the first instance the next gen will work to ground even for you boys if you choose the litter right .

Just my take mate .

It's only the lads from the north chasing tiny terriers to dig groundhog with.. we do not have groundhog in any kind of numbers in the south. I actually use a bigger dog right now. We work alot of drifts for coon. 

19 hours ago, dillydog said:

I've been to Kansas,  Wyoming,  Iowa, Illinois and maybe more that I forgot,  I hunted in creaks, hunted barns and stick piles, I had 90+ coons and a few possums none needed a tiny weak boned terrier to get the result.

The little bitch in the picture is smaller than anything I saw work out there.

You could also just use a pittbull for that type of terrier work 

21 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

I keep thinking Tank that their black dogs just look like black Russel’s or plummers etc

Every black dog under 14 lbs will look this way, very few have real good bone structure at that size, we have some in our kennel but they are long and short legged like the ol Russell's, coming from the tarmac dog nuttall bred that probably had a russel cross in his ped

1 hour ago, Jambalaya said:

It's only the lads from the north chasing tiny terriers to dig groundhog with.. we do not have groundhog in any kind of numbers in the south. I actually use a bigger dog right now. We work alot of drifts for coon. 

That’s very interesting you saying that it’s only northern lads that are chasing the tiny terriers.

Ive a good friend lives in the north and terrier wise he needs a bigger terrier as the coons up that way are bigger than the coons in the south and the southerners need a smaller terrier. 

The southern terriers wouldn't be as capable to be digging big coons regularly in the north apparently.

21 minutes ago, Steak knife said:

That’s very interesting you saying that it’s only northern lads that are chasing the tiny terriers.

Ive a good friend lives in the north and terrier wise he needs a bigger terrier as the coons up that way are bigger than the coons in the south and the southerners need a smaller terrier. 

The southern terriers wouldn't be as capable to be digging big coons regularly in the north apparently.

18 lb terrier is hard pressed for any earth work here,]p barns and above ground size dont matter, honestly having to worry about size is a hassle, I wish we had more badger here, if so I'd be mocking the snippy nose terriers also lmao

29 minutes ago, Steak knife said:

Really all depends. I guess each job is different regardless of north or south. I’m south but we have a good bit of ground hog. Although that is not what i normally end up on. Jambalaya is west of me so they have fewer then here. Those coons up north do get bigger and can require a bigger terrier

Edited by 1of1
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, 1of1 said:

Really all depends. I guess each job is different regardless of north or south. I’m south but we have a good bit of ground hog. Jambalaya is west of me so they have fewer then here. Those coons up north do get bigger and can require a bigger terrier

So if you’d a terrier that you think is the real deal would you be reluctant to work that terrier on bigger game up north regularly.

Would the same terrier be thought of as much in different hands in the north ?

7 minutes ago, Steak knife said:

So if you’d a terrier that you think is the real deal would you be reluctant to work that terrier on bigger game up north regularly.

Would the same terrier be thought of as much in different hands in the north ?

No we work all of them everywhere. Each situation challenges the terriers in a different way. My terriers are big by American standards. But I’ve worked as far north as Upper Peninsula Michigan as far south as south Georgia and as far west as Colorado

Edited by 1of1
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, 1of1 said:

No we work all of them everywhere. My terriers are big by American standards. But I’ve worked as far north as Upper Peninsula Michigan as far south as south Georgia and as far west as Colorado

Yeah he tells me you’sguys in the south have small coon and groundhog but are obsessed with AC stuff which doesn’t make sense when it’s them that need a bigger terrier up north because of larger game.

Says it all really 

Edited by Steak knife
  • Like 3
5 minutes ago, Steak knife said:

Yeah he tells me you’d guys in the south have small coon and groundhog but are obsessed with AC stuff which doesn’t make sense when it’s them that need a bigger terrier up north because of larger game.

Says it all really 

We have large coons here in the south as well. There are just more of them the further you go north. AC stuff was more centrally located north initially. It wasn’t until recently that AC stuff made it south. But it had nothing to do with their size. I had some Ken dogs, some old booth, some American nuttall, some new mason stuff. It just didn’t pan out for me. I’m sure someone has those bloods in good form but what I had didn’t suit me. It just happened by chance that  AC stuff has made me happy

Edited by 1of1
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, Steak knife said:

Yeah he tells me you’sguys in the south have small coon and groundhog but are obsessed with AC stuff which doesn’t make sense when it’s them that need a bigger terrier up north because of larger game.

Says it all really 

I only know one other person in the south with it (they have one female)other then jambalaya all of the rest of it is up north. And it was initially imported by men up north 

Edited by 1of1
  • Like 1