• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres a few bits mate. The red stuff is Buffalo leather.

i made a good few of these  

Some pics of the work he's completed this week  AJL leather craft 

Posted Images

Handy looking knife that. That round knife in my pic has warped a bit, I was ripped off with it off ebay, but I bought a nice little one from Abbey ,their own make.

I made a big one out of an old meat clever I wasnt using. It look clumsy but its good for cutting a straight edge on leather.

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, jeemes said:

Handy looking knife that. That round knife in my pic has warped a bit, I was ripped off with it off ebay, but I bought a nice little one from Abbey ,their own make.

I made a big one out of an old meat clever I wasnt using. It look clumsy but its good for cutting a straight edge on leather.

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

Aye, it's hard to know what to buy or where to buy from these days, my old mate was a cabinet maker and used to talk about the quality of the old chisels he used and how the modern metal wasn't up to scratch, saw some of the small bottles of dye advertised for over twice the price of what I get it for at the shop as well, is there much in the way of training in leather work available where you are, or are you happy to learn as you go ?

1 hour ago, jeemes said:

Theres a bloke on youtube Armitage leather who does courses not that far from me but Ive thought about it, but I havnt done anything about it. What part of the country are you in? pm if you like

I'm in Newcastle mate, there's talk of some courses starting leading to a qualification, I hear the funding ran out the last time, bit of a closed shop this leatherwork game, usually passed down in families from what I gather, but I'd like to progress with it in the future

• Like 1

I think theres plenty of scope for learning and earning a living working for someone or freelance personally. Im a bit long in the tooth for new careers myself and see it more as a hobby. I would need to sell a lot more stuff than I have so far just to pay for the tools Ive bought  not to mention leather.  I wish you luck whatever way you approach it, but remember theres a lot you can learn on Youtube for nothing.