Collie x

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moral of the story is there are wankers in every type of cross.

You never know what is going to be caught until the race is run, I've seen many an underfoot lift turn into a grueller, equally a distant speck can be reeled in an picked up, suppose it depends on the

Seen some game collie greyhound an seen some that not a dog id have , but can say same about all types of running dogs , think with breeding the collie greyhound its down to the collie you use , the s

Posted Images

i am not a collie fan, got one now , and had couple others. they deff will call the shots regards how much work there going to do, and not you . they are type of dog that do think abit to much about the job at hand, instead  of just dong it .  It was one of the reasons i went for a Alsatian  x grey  for, i wanted similar type temp , a dog with good brain , but stronger prey drive, one  bit more full on temp regards hunting, and my big dog deff as compared  to my collie x grey . funny thing i was taking to a farmer the other day, regards collies about there temps.  said that  are deff a thinking dog, bit to much at times, some will work cattle and some wont , and only do sheep . i said you ever thought about kelpies  as there bit differnt temp, and said yes heard good things about them, there do or die type dogs, not like collies that think to much at times .

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Blackmag said:

Million dollar question i  have seen most crosses do it  so it's as with anything it's down to the individual dog I have seen quite a few with as much commitment as any cross take stuff 

I maybe wrong but I’ve personally only ever seen collie x’s do it 

2 hours ago, bird said:

i am not a collie fan, got one now , and had couple others. they deff will call the shots regards how much work there going to do, and not you . they are type of dog that do think abit to much about the job at hand, instead  of just dong it .  It was one of the reasons i went for a Alsatian  x grey  for, i wanted similar type temp , a dog with good brain , but stronger prey drive, one  bit more full on temp regards hunting, and my big dog deff as compared  to my collie x grey . funny thing i was taking to a farmer the other day, regards collies about there temps.  said that  are deff a thinking dog, bit to much at times, some will work cattle and some wont , and only do sheep . i said you ever thought about kelpies  as there bit differnt temp, and said yes heard good things about them, there do or die type dogs, not like collies that think to much at times .

Iam not a fan of collie x”s either but iam a big believer if a dogs got it it’s got regards of its cross

Ive had dogs with collie in their makeup most of my life only ever had one pick her runs but I think some of that was down to the ground that we were running she only really done it daytime in 4 fields really and all had big setts in never did it on the lamp always hit the hedge after stuff just depends if you want a dog running everything you see no matter how far away sometimes it's the person on the other end of the lead should decide if its worth running a long run at something with a slight chance of a catch or finding something better

• Like 4

I think there are a lot more variables involved in dogs picking runs than just Collie in the dog.How old the dog is, how much work/lamping the dog has done. But I think one of the main reasons is how fit the dog is and how well rested it is between each work session. Just my take on things. 

• Like 2

A lot of the run picking in collie xs tends to be the more heavy base blooded dogs when they age...I like collie xs my self as I really like collie temperament but not to much collie just a small drop I know many a bloke who were out an out collie x men but see a pattern emerge with half xs as they age these were all guys that were mowing gear regular with half xs these were experienced dogs that run cunning once age starts to kick in so does the walking slowly down the beam or not running at all with a distant look of I don’t think I’ll catch that it’ll out run me as my speed as diminisheing I’ll give this one a miss on to one that I can be put on top of please. all the guys I’ve known that run collie x all converted to terrier x over time be it bull,bedlington or Wheaton lurcher to lurcher bred dogs Most say there never own another predominantly collie x again but I’ve always been in the opinion of why would you need to keep revisiting the beginning with a f1 or keep buying in f1s if you have a good f1 breed it to another good type of runner that’s doing the job an move forward the likelihood of if you have had a decent f1 buying another is it won’t be as good an your be comparing it to the decent one if any thinks a miss early on your be disheartened an wont want to push/train as hard because in your mind you’ve already made your mind up it won’t be as good 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, troyboy17 said:

Do u really want a dog to run its bollocks out for nothing they know what is catchable better than we do if they were that bad people would of gone of them years ago its just that the Bedlington x is the in thing at the moment

Yes that’s what the dogs owned for running weather it misses or catches its running its bollox off I mean we’re not talking running dogs at rabbits sat at the edge line people are talking about collie crosses doubting there selfs when runs have the same possibility of a catch than any other but point blank refuse the opportunity yet in the past same said dogs have run an made catches. Years ago the game was different opportunities ie number of rabbits we’re high you had the option to pick rabbits out for the dog you could get on top of them before you slipped people have gone off them to a degree mate there not as favoured as they once were I don’t think that’s the case with bedlington crosses them being the in thing a lot won’t touch one with a barge pole it’s more bully xs an Wheaton seems to be coming a popular choice with a drop of coursing dog in there for a wider spectrum playing field rather than the older style crosses 

10 hours ago, lampingmad1 said:

Will all collie x’s shy of there quarry if they think they ant gotta chance of catching it “do they use there brain to much

Do all saluki/coursing x dogs saunter plod on behind and push their quarry waiting for mistakes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Seen some game collie greyhound an seen some that not a dog id have , but can say same about all types of running dogs , think with breeding the collie greyhound its down to the collie you use , the strong hard hill farm collie I'd go for 

• Like 4