Does Castration Affect a Working Dogs Ability?

yes it does , more so a running dog .  it will take that bit of fire out of them , it gives a more of a calm temp deff in males , many a time i come across male  dogs that had there nuts off , and my 2 males who not been done  always , show i an interest in them lol. i asked my vet what is going on with them, surely  they know there still males, vet said yes they know, but alot of castrated  dogs , give off a soft sign to other males  abit like some bitches. of course  you get some dogs that have hard type temps dogs and bitches more so with differnt breeds, but dogs like lurchers, sight hounds , that  in general have softer, sensitive  temps to start with,  a castrated  dog the last thing you need in a working dog. ive seen few labs and spaniels that been done when beating , and didnt seem to affect  them , regards working, maybe they were biddable if anything , but as said i never do a running dog, unless for health reasons, in males ,  and bitches  , but thats it nothing else .

• Like 2
9 hours ago, bird said:

yes it does , more so a running dog .  it will take that bit of fire out of them , it gives a more of a calm temp deff in males , many a time i come across male  dogs that had there nuts off , and my 2 males who not been done  always , show i an interest in them lol. i asked my vet what is going on with them, surely  they know there still males, vet said yes they know, but alot of castrated  dogs , give off a soft sign to other males  abit like some bitches. of course  you get some dogs that have hard type temps dogs and bitches more so with differnt breeds, but dogs like lurchers, sight hounds , that  in general have softer, sensitive  temps to start with,  a castrated  dog the last thing you need in a working dog. ive seen few labs and spaniels that been done when beating , and didnt seem to affect  them , regards working, maybe they were biddable if anything , but as said i never do a running dog, unless for health reasons, in males ,  and bitches  , but thats it nothing else .

Had a beddy whippet who been done was plenty of fire in him he'd hit anything in lamp or day went to ground was a handy little dog , gave a American bull dog x away loved dogs an people big softy new owners had him done dog went back to vets for check up dog bit vet then on way out gripped a dog , vet told owners he will settle down , cupple days later dog ripped hole in fence killed next doors dog  was pts after that 

2 hours ago, tank34 said:

Had a beddy whippet who been done was plenty of fire in him he'd hit anything in lamp or day went to ground was a handy little dog , gave a American bull dog x away loved dogs an people big softy new owners had him done dog went back to vets for check up dog bit vet then on way out gripped a dog , vet told owners he will settle down , cupple days later dog ripped hole in fence killed next doors dog  was pts after that 

Didn't stop my old man's yorkie x from launching himself at other dogs, big or small, or stop him from escaping the garden wandering after bitches in heat, either. Was hit by cars three times on the main road about 400 yards from my his house as well, still didn't stop him. f**k knows how he got out of the garden  it's like fort knox

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Didn't stop my old man's yorkie x from launching himself at other dogs, big or small, or stop him from escaping the garden wandering after bitches in heat, either. Was hit by cars three times on the main road about 400 yards from my his house as well, still didn't stop him. f**k knows how he got out of the garden  it's like fort knox

I think Stabs who used to come on here had a castrated staff that still tied with his bitch when she was in season. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I think Stabs who used to come on here had a castrated staff that still tied with his bitch when she was in season. 

Yeah, being castrated didn't affect my old man's dog one bit. But like maximus said, he was adult (3 years old) when he was done 

On 24/01/2020 at 14:30, shaaark said:

Yeah, being castrated didn't affect my old man's dog one bit. But like maximus said, he was adult (3 years old) when he was done 

I think it's best to wait until jook adult befor getting them done ,folk taking 4 month pups to vets so wrong ,jook needs to grow and become adult ,I have my bitches done around 2 yr and never have probs .

• Like 1
On 24/01/2020 at 13:42, Maximus Ferret said:

Have a castrated whippet here and it hasn't affected him a bit. So long as the dog's sexually mature and hunting before being castrated then in my experience it doesn't affect them at all and as said in earlier posts, it doesn't stop them fighting either if they've a taste for it.

You said it " mature " 

I dont  get folk who take there dogs vets at few months old ,vets should no better ,but there greedy w     Kers 

wait until over 2 yr and they should be fine ,some bitches can get bit fat but work and right feed sorts that .

• Like 2
On 24/01/2020 at 10:06, tank34 said:

Had an ambull who was castrated and no dog dominated him