Questions regarding Ammo Size, Band Thickness, Tapers etc

Hi all,

I am basically a complete beginner to slingshots/catapults (apart from purchasing a Black Widow years ago and not being able to hit a barn door at 5 yards away!). My idea is to purchase one of the cheap Chinese catapults from a site such as Aliexpress to practice with (the one which have sights and the end of the bands are clamped in). I believe these would be considered OTT slingshots?

I will be practicing on targets to begin with, but as soon as I become proficient I plan on using it for hunting small game such as Squirrels, Pigeons, Rabbits, Pheasant etc.

I have been doing a lot of research regarding Ammo Size, Band Thickness and Tapers suitable for a hunting set-up, but any information I find is conflicting with people having vastly differing opinions. 

What type of Ammo, Band Thickness and Tapers should I consider using for hunting small game?

I already know my draw length and active band length and I plan on making my own band sets from Precise and GZK latex I will purchase from the internet.

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated!

http://slingshotchannel.com/band_calc.html   this may help . a cheap catapult may be a problem because of strength or lack of . if you have a ballistic chronograph that will help . as a rough guide if your bands are hurting your hand after you have shot when slapping back , your bands are to strong or your ammo is to light weight .

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, barrywhite said:

http://slingshotchannel.com/band_calc.html   this may help . a cheap catapult may be a problem because of strength or lack of . if you have a ballistic chronograph that will help . as a rough guide if your bands are hurting your hand after you have shot when slapping back , your bands are to strong or your ammo is to light weight .

Thanks for the advice mate.

After doing some research, I think I am going to buy an OTT version of the Simple Shot Torque and fit it with red Precise (0.7mm) with a taper of 25mm - 20mm whilst shooting 11mm steel BB's. Hopefully this will prove to be a decent enough set-up. I hope to stick with one set-up to make practice much easier.

7 hours ago, WizzyH said:

After doing some research, I think I am going to buy an OTT version of the Simple Shot Torque and fit it with red Precise (0.7mm) with a taper of 25mm - 20mm whilst shooting 11mm steel BB's. Hopefully this will prove to be a decent enough set-up. I hope to stick with one set-up to make practice much easier.

I shoot that exact band but use 9.5mm steel and take game on a regular basis.

Good luck with the practice and just remember catapult shooting is all about consistency ?

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, WizzyH said:

Torque isn't a good choice for starting, very easy to hit the forks, the copy scout on eBay would be a better choice IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, oxo said:

Torque isn't a good choice for starting, very easy to hit the forks, the copy scout on eBay would be a better choice IMO

Thanks mate. I'll have a look into the scout copies.. I may even just buy an authentic scout from the SS website as they don't cost very much tbh.

Have you ever tried the cheap Chinese catapults with the fibre optic sights? Do the sights actually help or are they just a gimmick?  

Also, do you think an OTT frame would be the best to start out with?

I believe these are the two Cathy’s you are referring to mate and personally the snide scout at £8 is probably your best option, I get on really well with the fibre optic sighted one (it’s me fav) but it’s much more of a love it or hate it thing were as the scout seems to suit everyone, the scout also gives you more options so you can use it ott ttf or with tubes and I think through the fork is much easier to learn than  ott once you have sorted  the style that suites you then buy something a bit more specific ??

4CD7F530-6B7E-48BB-8F63-14160B59BEBB.jpeg

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Greyman said:

I believe these are the two Cathy’s you are referring to mate and personally the snide scout at £8 is probably your best option, I get on really well with the fibre optic sighted one (it’s me fav) but it’s much more of a love it or hate it thing were as the scout seems to suit everyone, the scout also gives you more options so you can use it ott ttf or with tubes and I think through the fork is much easier to learn than  ott once you have sorted  the style that suites you then buy something a bit more specific ??

4CD7F530-6B7E-48BB-8F63-14160B59BEBB.jpeg

Thanks a lot for the advice mate.

I've just purchased both as they are both dirt cheap - along with a band cutting jig, some pouches, some band tying ribbon, a band cutting template and some GZK and Precise Red band (0.7mm) as well as some other odds and sods. I'll be setting the scout knockoff up for TTF and the one with sights to fire OTT. I'll practice with both and once I have decent groupings, I'll be able to decide which style I like better and hopefully get out and take some game for the pot!

I like the idea of taking game with something so primitive as obviously you have to be much closer to take the shot and it makes fieldcraft much more important than with a rifle for example.

I'm already proficient in the use of a bow, but with our daft laws I'll never be able to feed myself with one in this country!

Edited by WizzyH
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, WizzyH said:

Thanks a lot for the advice mate.

I've just purchased both as they are both dirt cheap - along with a band cutting jig, some pouches, some band tying ribbon, a band cutting template and some GZK and Precise Red band (0.7mm) as well as some other odds and sods. I'll be setting the scout knockoff up for TTF and the one with sights to fire OTT. I'll practice with both and once I have decent groupings, I'll be able to decide which style I like better and hopefully get out and take some game for the pot!

I like the idea of taking game with something so primitive as obviously you have to be much closer to take the shot and it makes fieldcraft much more important than with a rifle for example.

I'm already proficient in the use of a bow, but with our daft laws I'll never be able to feed myself with one in this country!

It will take a bit of time working how tight to tie on the pouch . never used tying ribbon but it must have the same problems as other stuff dont tie it to tight your bands will wear out quickly .