Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My one...

Wheaten/bull/grey

That was my old dog 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jetro said:

How did your season go where you are, did you find game  thin on the ground. 

Atb j 

Started late this season. And was sick over christmas and the last week has been foggy but I’ve 20 or so foxs got on the lamp so far first season dog and we’ve a few got out of cover. The rifle boys are really having an impact in my area the won’t leave anything for anyone else. How about you mate ?

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, sionnach99 said:

Started late this season. And was sick over christmas and the last week has been foggy but I’ve 20 or so foxs got on the lamp so far first season dog and we’ve a few got out of cover. The rifle boys are really having an impact in my area the won’t leave anything for anyone else. How about you mate ?

I haven't done anything in the last couple of seasons. Rabbits was my main sport, but when they started to dwindle l left them alone. Now there's nothing left, with disease and shooters. Even foxes are thin on the ground. 

I'm still struggling with idea of getting a pup in.

Still looking to see can  i justify getting one .

Atb j 

4 minutes ago, jetro said:

I haven't done anything in the last couple of seasons. Rabbits was my main sport, but when they started to dwindle l left them alone. Now there's nothing left, with disease and shooters. Even foxes are thin on the ground. 

I'm still struggling with idea of getting a pup in.

Still looking to see can  i justify getting one .

Atb j 

Rabbits are f****d alright. Sad really. 

• Like 1

It isn't just gunmen that are decimating areas. Plenty of lampers are happy taking 20, 30, 40 or more per session. Same as plenty of ferreters.

Climate is getting milder and wetter, washed out warrens, diseases spreading easier and quicker. I reckon we'll only see intermitent periods of high rabbit numbers when we get a fairly prolonged spell of hot weather, which doesn't happen that often in the uk.

We'll be down to just rat control before long ?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

If there’s no rabbits and f**k all foxes it’s going to be a bored moocher.

remember when the assembled massive of THL laughed at anyone who said rabbits were going to be hard to find in the future???

Was thinking the same about a mmocher.  A number of years ago no thought rabbit numbers would have dropped to this level. I know of three other lads, that spent most of their lives rabbiting, pack it in, in the last three years.

Atb j 

Just now, shaaark said:

It isn't just gunmen that are decimating areas. Plenty of lampers are happy taking 20, 30, 40 or more per session. Same as plenty of ferreters.

Climate is getting milder and wetter, washed out warrens, diseases spreading easier and quicker. I reckon we'll only see intermitent periods of high rabbit numbers when we get a fairly prolonged spell of hot weather, which doesn't happen that often in the uk.

Oh aye I wasn’t finger pointing at any sport in particular.

But I remember certain folk on here getting good bags places fence jumping and telling everyone else to “head up there, stick a lamp out the window and fill your boots”.

Mass pressure like that, on top of weather conditions and disease have knackered the rabbit job.

Filling your boots is fine but you can only kill them once and if they are taking a hammering from disease and you then hammer the survivors on the lamp or especially with ferrets over and over you’ll kill them out.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Struggling to find them too, I'm not sure if it's because predators are moving over to them due to rabbits vanishing or something else but it's definitely looking bleak. Places I've been that were normally heaving with rats had none or just 1 or 2. Flight ponds with piles of feed next to them should be alive with rats.

Anyone else noticed a decline in stoats too?

2 hours ago, Balaur said:

Maybe get something as a companion that can hunt a bit, not too prey driven maybe pointer or terrier based , more of a moocher?  

That's looking like the plan for the moment. No point in getting a working dog, with nothing to work. Not fair on the dog, which in turn could end up looking for its own sport, which will be it's undoing in the end.

Atb j 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Struggling to find them too, I'm not sure if it's because predators are moving over to them due to rabbits vanishing or something else but it's definitely looking bleak. Places I've been that were normally heaving with rats had none or just 1 or 2. Flight ponds with piles of feed next to them should be alive with rats.

Anyone else noticed a decline in stoats too?

You could be right mate. On my local river, there used to be a few really good stretches of bank either side, that you could guarantee a couple of kills from practically every time you took the dogs for a walk there. The last maybe close to 20 years, I've not seen one rat, or signs of, there at all. Seen a few mink in the same space of time though. But strangely enough, there's more ducks, mallards, widgeon, teal, even little grebes, and all sorts on there now the last few years than there's ever been ?‍♂️