THE VICTORIA CROSS

17 minutes ago, WILF said:

In Ireland some people would vilify you for honouring those blokes mate, retarded as f**k if you ask me.

I fell out with a bloke Poppy Day because he was chatting some shit about the Brits and shove ya poppy up your arse an all that.....now, I’m not a particular Poppy Day fanatic but I ain’t having all that bollocks uttered within earshot of me.

We were still the best nation in the world when we was still united and them blokes had honour and courage beyond most you see today.

I'm the sort of person that doesn't care about others think and say about . What people think of me is non of my business. 

I'm very proud of my g.grandfather for what he did, and his father before him.

There's others here in my parish that joined the British forces in ww2 as well, navy and infantry, and their held in high regard and their pictures are hung with pride. My own cousin today is in the RMC.

I find that a lot of the people that make ignorant and stupid comments on things like this, which is history, that affected the whole world, not just the British isles, are the ones that have never left their little world.

Atb j 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Dad served in Burma and was in the Royal engineers. On odd occasions we spoke about his time out there and what had seen done and witnessed. He was  involved with getting the supplies and ammunitio

My g.grandfather was a pow in ww1, held captive by the Turks. He was a surgeon, he helped many escape, and when his time came to escape, he decided to stay behind and tend to the sick and wounded. 

Back when men were men ,  any man willing to die for his loved ones and country deserves respect and gratitude 

19 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Thousands of Irish died alongside 

my great grandfather at Gallipoli in the Royal Dublin Fusileers who then had to merge with the Munsters  to form a regiment of sorts they called the Dubsters' and he was a Englishman  thru and thru ?

You be Proud mate and don't listen to the haters who just hate for the sake of it ?

My g.grandfather was irish, and so was his family before him. He was born into a military life, and stayed with it, followed it for most of his.

I am very proud of him, he saw and achieved things most people can only dream about. As did many many others of that time and place.

Atb j

1 hour ago, WILF said:

In Ireland some people would vilify you for honouring those blokes mate, retarded as f**k if you ask me.

I fell out with a bloke Poppy Day because he was chatting some shit about the Brits and shove ya poppy up your arse an all that.....now, I’m not a particular Poppy Day fanatic but I ain’t having all that bollocks uttered within earshot of me.

We were still the best nation in the world when we was still united and them blokes had honour and courage beyond most you see today.

We killed the relationship, the day we let them starve mate. Before that we were foes.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, WILF said:

We’re all entitled to an opinion, because you don’t agree with it doesn’t mean the individual or his opinion is retarded ?

The ease in which you throw in , an off the cuff remark about some Irish,  who may not agree with your empirical mindset just about sums you up on here , you still living here .?

“we were still the best nation in the world when we were still united “? Where the f**k you going with that statement,

The word nation doesn’t leave much room for the Scots welsh or Irish 

21 minutes ago, king said:

so what use to happen in ww1 and ww2 ive read bit's here and there.about door knocking and telling you to get on the lorry etc you are going to war.and had no say in it.is that right..

Conscripted, or railroaded, I could be wrong 

Atb j 

1 minute ago, jetro said:

Conscripted, or railroaded, I could be wrong 

Atb j 

it's hard to imagine it..knock on the door you got 30mins and then you are on your way..them lads back then were made of stern stuff jetro..

Just now, king said:

it's hard to imagine it..knock on the door you got 30mins and then you are on your way..them lads back then were made of stern stuff jetro..

A lot of them  in ww1 were young, and didn't have a clue about war, how could they. They thought it was a big adventure. Some were only 15, 16 and maybe younger. The jumped at the chance.

Ww2 was maybe a bit different. A lot had seen what costs, and maybe weren't to readily to join up or let their children join up. But by and large, for the greater part, every one thought and felt it was their duty to server. 

Fighting and Waring is in our DNA, since the time before the Romans lol.

Atb j 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're they brave, or stupid or just doing what they were told either through cultural expectations or conditioning. Two generations of my family have been devastated by ww1 and ww 2.  Grandfather was killed in France in www and is planted near Bethune.  He had been a skilled French polished and furniture restorer.  Married with two small girls.  Father was a mechanical engineer married with two small girls.  He was a fit strong young man when he was sent to Burma.  He did come home but was a wreck .  Basically he never really recovered from the physical and mental trauma of the conditions and what he saw and endured. What for ? A death plaque and a few medals.  The wives and children suffered a lot.  I can't type her all the bad things that happened to them.

• Like 1

A lot of us on  here know what centerfire rifles do but back then not many of the population had the first idea what would happen in a brutal industrial war.  Back then very  few people travelled more than a few miles from theìr village.  No Tv,  no communication. A lot of people were pretty illiterate. How would they know that they would be marched along a road. Lined out in a field,  told to dig in and get on with it.  Imagine what that would be like when it's passing down with rain as it has been recently.  That's with leather boots and khaki.  That's before the shelling and beiñg under fire started. Bits of bodies, bodies rotting out in front of you and your between 15 and 40. Most were only boys. Brave or stupid.  They didn't have much of an option.  Still it'll all be over by Christmas and the boys will all be back home.  Yeah right.

Ps. In ww2 the top call up age was 40 as far as I  know.  Why would I  want to go and fight out in Iraq or Afgan or any foriegn shit hole.  Mind you if they were invading over here I'd be right up for it.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, Meece said:

We're they brave, or stupid or just doing what they were told either through cultural expectations or conditioning. Two generations of my family have been devastated by ww1 and ww 2.  Grandfather was killed in France in www and is planted near Bethune.  He had been a skilled French polished and furniture restorer.  Married with two small girls.  Father was a mechanical engineer married with two small girls.  He was a fit strong young man when he was sent to Burma.  He did come home but was a wreck .  Basically he never really recovered from the physical and mental trauma of the conditions and what he saw and endured. What for ? A death plaque and a few medals.  The wives and children suffered a lot.  I can't type her all the bad things that happened to them.

They fought with pride, so their family, loved ones and friends would and still do have their freedom.

Atb j 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jetro said:

If war was to break out today, how many of the leftie, snowflake generation would sign up to defend their country. 

Not much i bet.

Atb j 

Would you actually expect the Uk to have the audacity to ask its native citizens to fight for its mother country in this day and age ?

I,ll fight for my race all day long but my country....im not so sure anymore.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Would you actually expect the Uk to have the audacity to ask its native citizens to fight for its mother country in this day and age ?

I,ll fight for my race all day long but my country....im not so sure anymore.

The same for Ireland. 

I'd fight for my country and its native people no problem, but out from that,  no I wouldn't sign up.

Atb j 

4 hours ago, jetro said:

They fought with pride, so their family, loved ones and friends would and still do have their freedom.

Atb j 

Lots of countries were on the loosing side but they are no different to us and have their freedoms and normal lives Eg Italy & Japan.  This pride thing is often heard but when did pride ever come in the frame of real life.  My grandmother was reaĺy proud of the fact that her husband had marched off to war,  gotten blown up and the country gave her nothing in return.  Two young children.  No dole or benefits nothing.  Living on a meagre  war widows pension in a  damp cold town with no garden or access to anything. Her health failed and she got pneumonia . And that's not a lot different today when bloke leave the services through getting killed today. The wife and children  get booted out of their house.  Great pride in that.  Pride is a sort of fairy land.