THE VICTORIA CROSS

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Dad served in Burma and was in the Royal engineers. On odd occasions we spoke about his time out there and what had seen done and witnessed. He was  involved with getting the supplies and ammunitio

My g.grandfather was a pow in ww1, held captive by the Turks. He was a surgeon, he helped many escape, and when his time came to escape, he decided to stay behind and tend to the sick and wounded. 

Back when men were men ,  any man willing to die for his loved ones and country deserves respect and gratitude 

Done some business around Gallipoli,.....strangely, quiet, spooky old place..and those fecking hills that the boys had to climb, only to face the Turkish machine guns.?

Bad place to disembark,..a complete disaster,...total feck up by our leaders...?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, maxhardcore said:

?

Last week they had a service at easington Co Durham to  remember a young local lad of 19 from the village who Won a VC 

Donnini was his name ' of Italian decent .

Them immigrants eh.

God Bless Them All

Respect weather you were awarded a medal or not.

My Great Grandad died aged 41 at the Battle Of Gully Ravine ' Gallipoli fighting for The Royal Irish Dublin Fusiliers  on the 29th June 1915.

Them and the Munsters had to amalgamate as they were both decimated .

Think it was 11 out of 3-4k that lived.

They took 12 thousand Turks with them.

Obviously fought like Lions.

He has no grave as most don't there.

He lies where he fell.

There is a Memorial aptly named

Helles.

I will go one day hopefully with my 

Dad and his brother and my bairn ect.

They sailed out of Torquey in the Feb on the Clyde.

Landed April with Turks and Germans well dug in.

It was as bad as Saving Private Ryan trying to get off Ship and onto the beach .

Its all there online ' but because the campaign was a disaster ' down to Churchill I might add its 

Hardly spoke of and them lads 

never got the recognition they  deserved .

My GG grandfather left 5 kids

and a wife' Fooking hard times and 

does anyone know if them lads were recognised and awarded campaigner medals ?

• Like 1

A rorke’s drift vc winner is buried about a mile down the road from me,won it as private John Williams but his actual name was John Fielding, he was defending the hospital with James Hook.

Came home and went back to work in the nut and bolt factory,a quiet and modest man by all accounts

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, mango said:

A rorke’s drift vc winner is buried about a mile down the road from me,won it as private John Williams but his actual name was John Fielding, he was defending the hospital with James Hook.

Came home and went back to work in the nut and bolt factory,a quiet and modest man by all accounts

Wetherspoons is named after him I believe mate?

My g.grandfather was a pow in ww1, held captive by the Turks. He was a surgeon, he helped many escape, and when his time came to escape, he decided to stay behind and tend to the sick and wounded. 

He made a Ouija board, convinced the guards that he could talk to the dead, they were afraid of him in the end, so they left him and others alone. He was a real character iv been told.

Atb j 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

He rolled the dice there Mara they might of just shot him but FairPlay they real superstitious over the Far East .

He wasn't alone in the act, they all took part in it, holding a seance and what ever else they could do to plan their escape 

Atb j 

13 hours ago, jetro said:

He made a Ouija board, convinced the guards that he could talk to the dead, they were afraid of him in the end, so they left him and others alone. He was a real character iv been told.

Atb j 

Aye they were real men back then and the medics overall had an air about them that they weren't there for the war, they were there for their boys!

My grandad was the same, he went back to his lads after they offered him an honorable discharge for his wounds. 

Would we be so selfless nowadays?

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1
Just now, mushroom said:

Aye they were real men back then and the medics overall had an air about them that they weren't there for the war, they were their for their boys!

My grandad was the same, he went back to his lads after they offered him an honorable discharge for his wounds. 

Would we be so selfless 

I wouldn't want to be depending on some of the  today's younger generation to defend us.

There was a book written about this, and dedicated to my g.grandfather.

I think he had some thing to in ww2 as well, I will have to check that out. No in active duty, more of a teaching role..

It would have been an honour to be able to sit with these men today and chat with them for a few hours.

Atb j 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, jetro said:

I wouldn't want to be depending on some of the  today's younger generation to defend us.

There was a book written about this, and dedicated to my g.grandfather.

I think he had some thing to in ww2 as well, I will have to check that out. No in active duty, more of a teaching role..

It would have been an honour to be able to sit with these men today and chat with them for a few hours.

Atb j 

In Ireland some people would vilify you for honouring those blokes mate, retarded as f**k if you ask me.

I fell out with a bloke Poppy Day because he was chatting some shit about the Brits and shove ya poppy up your arse an all that.....now, I’m not a particular Poppy Day fanatic but I ain’t having all that bollocks uttered within earshot of me.

We were still the best nation in the world when we was still united and them blokes had honour and courage beyond most you see today.

• Like 1