A couple of cockers.

Now then all I'm getting a couple cockers start of march, they will be beating 3 times a week once of age. I'm wanting to know what diets you feed your working cockers. I work with racing greyhounds who eat gain/raw meat/veg, and they are top notch so I'm thinking of copying this diet. All opinions welcome 

I think it varies for every individual tbh. That diet sounds like a good starting point and may well be perfect for them. Worth bearing in mind that a cocker is an endurance athlete whereas track dogs are sprinters though.

I wouldn't get too entrenched or evangelical about any particular feeding regime. Just be mindful of any issues that may be nutrition related and be willing to adapt your regime to improve them.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, johnboynewt said:

Now then all I'm getting a couple cockers start of march, they will be beating 3 times a week once of age. I'm wanting to know what diets you feed your working cockers. I work with racing greyhounds who eat gain/raw meat/veg, and they are top notch so I'm thinking of copying this diet. All opinions welcome 

Sounds like the greyhounds do well on that pal n I feed my spaniels the same as the lurchers awell but interesting what b h says as well, I know loads of lads that feed there gun dogs on cheap 8 quid a sack working dog complete with nothing else n some of them somehow look n perform well on it very surprising especially this time of year when they've been grafting all season.

Edited by dodger

I feed my cocker mostly raw with cooked frozen vegetables she is working  3 times a week beating this is her first season she gets mostly lamb as its fatty and she doesn't seem to drop the weight as much she is my first spaniel it took me a while to work out the best food for her i had her on gain 28 and raw but she was just putting on weight she is just on raw now but some of the lads just have there dogs on wagg and they look good think it is just dependent on the dog 

• Like 2
On 24/01/2020 at 08:42, johnboynewt said:

a couple means two.

thanks for the feeding tips lloyd

There’s a thing called litter mate syndrome, read about it sounds a pain. 

I got two pups when I was younger within a year of each other. Wish I’d just got one really well trained before getting another. 

Just trying to help. 

Feeding wise. My Spaniel gets a bad stomach very easily, and the only foot I found that doesn’t give him loose poops is feeding raw. I use DAF. 

On 21/01/2020 at 11:30, johnboynewt said:

Try not too get two at the same time and if the same age they will drive you mad while trying too train them you can do it but I’d focus on one dog first then get a second but wish you all the best and good luck 

23 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

There’s a thing called litter mate syndrome, read about it sounds a pain. 

I got two pups when I was younger within a year of each other. Wish I’d just got one really well trained before getting another. 

Just trying to help. 

Feeding wise. My Spaniel gets a bad stomach very easily, and the only foot I found that doesn’t give him loose poops is feeding raw. I use DAF. 

Had plenty of spaniels and never fed raw and never had a problem