Kennel ideas

17 hours ago, Black neck said:

Looks smart bosun what's it got on the roof on it

Cheers BN ?

The roof is T+G with an extra heavy duty felt, which they state will last 10 years(?)

I touched lucky as mine is the ex display model, which was on display inside but has a side (patch) which has lightened in the sun, through a window. Got it £600 cheaper and with the standard guarantee.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few pics of mine. Drainage at the front of the runs and sleep box at the back. Rubber floor with a few blankets and what not and heat lamp for good measure when it drops to a few degrees

One thing I really recommend to anyone is a roof over the runs. Amazing the difference it’s makes. Not hard do either. I roofed this myself over the summer on my own and sheeted few weeks after when I

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Cheers BN ?

The roof is T+G with an extra heavy duty felt, which they state will last 10 years(?)

I touched lucky as mine is the ex display model, which was on display inside but has a side (patch) which has lightened in the sun, through a window. Got it £600 cheaper and with the standard guarantee.

Bargin then B?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bosun11 said:

Cheers BN ?

How much did u pay   there I said it

THE TRUTH ABOUT CHAIN TETHERING

by CJ

There are many people who think it is “cruel” to keep a dog on a chain, but I intend to show that the opposite is true. I intend to show that it is both humane and responsible to chain a dog properly, when you are away from home, as opposed to letting your dog run free. This is true even when a person has only one dog and a fenced backyard. You might be thinking, “Why can’t I leave a dog in a fenced back yard?,” and the answer is, “Because even if you have a cinder-block wall surrounding your property, many dogs learn to jump over that wall, learn to dig under that wall, or they learn to wait for a gardener (or kids) to leave the gate open … but one way or another, every dog will eventually escape his yard if he is left loose and unsupervised.” And we all know what happens to dogs when they escape: dogs can cause trouble; dogs can get hurt; dogs can get run over by cars; dogs can get shot by farmers for worrying their livestock; dogs can get lost in the woods (or in the city), etc. … and even those few dogs that don’t meet the above ends wind up getting placed in dog pounds. In short, nothing good ever happens when a dog escapes his owner’s yard, and the only way a dog can escape from an owner’s yard is when that owner is negligent and doesn’t confine his animal properly. Dogs are not moral beings, they are animals, and as such they need to be in the control of humans at all times. Therefore, when humans are not present their dogs ought to be confined at all times. As such, a person should address the question of how he is going to keep his animals (in a kennel run or on a chain set-up), and I intend to prove that confining a dog on a chain is the superior, more humane method of confinement for a dog. Contrary to many professional dog breeders, I do not like kennel runs, in fact I think they make dogs miserable, and I will list many irrefutable facts to back-up this posture. But first, let us examine what we are trying to accomplish when we confine our animals to begin with:

Reasons Why We Confine Dogs

1. To prevent our dogs from escaping while we are away.
  2. To keep our animals as happy and comfortable as possible, with as much room as possible while they are in their state of confinement.
  3. To meet these goals as conveniently as possible, and for as little unnecessary expense to us as possible.

KENNEL RUNS:

A lot of people are under the misconception that kennels are where it’s at in the effort to confine dogs humanely, but I am here to tell you this is not the case. The only justification for a kennel run is if you have one dog, or just a very few dogs, that you let out all the time – or if you live in such a nice neighborhood that you can’t ruin your carefully-pruned, landscaped backyard with a chain being drug back-and-forth across your lawn with a dog. One other advantage to a kennel run, with proper drainage, is that you can hose the urine and feces down a drain, which helps eliminate odor, again which is a necessity in a populated residential area where your neighbors might not appreciate “essence of dog kennel” permeating the air. However, as you will see in the forthcoming pages proper chain set-ups provide a better and cheaper method to confine your dogs, from their perspective. Let’s take a look at the 3 goals on the previous page, and draw an immediate conclusion: kennel runs meet #1, they prevent our dogs from escaping, but the fact is kennel runs fail miserably to address #s 2 and 3. How is this so?

First of all, regarding our dog’s comfort, kennel runs have concrete floors which are hard on a dog’s joints. Day-in and day-out, every day, of every week, of every month, of every year, your dog is forced to walk on cement in a kennel run. Dogs were not designed to run or lie down on hard concrete, they were designed to run and lie down on soft earth. Therefore, when we force a dog to repeatedly walk and lie down on concrete, by keeping him in a kennel, the animal will soon begin to develop sores on all of the contact points his body repeatedly makes with said concrete or cement. If forced to be in a kennel every moment of every day, these sores the dog develops will get bigger with time, and will quickly worsen, while at the same time the animal’s weight-bearing joints will be likewise challenged while he moves back and forth on the unforgiving flooring. Just picture yourself, every day of your life, having to walk barefoot on concrete, and having to sit and lie down on this hard surface, and eventually you too would be praying for a soft spot and a way out of that uncomfortable situation. Well, how do you think a dog feels then? The next issue where kennel runs fall woefully short of providing adequate living quarters is on living space. Not only are kennel runs terribly uncomfortable for the dogs who have to live on rock-hard concrete, but kennels are also woefully small enclosures on top of this. Since the average kennel is 6’ x 10’, this means the average kennel is only 60 sq. ft in dimensions. As you will see in a moment, even the biggest kennel runs are only about one-third as roomy as the average chain set-up, while the average sized kennel run is only one-fifth as roomy as the average chain set-up. In fact, let’s get the true numbers on these dimensions:

Kennel Dimensions

• 6’x10’=60sqft
    •10’x10’=100sqft
    •10’ x 12’ = 120 sq ft

The fact of the matter is, most kennel runs are of the first dimensions, as seen in the set-up below, and again only offer a miserable 60 sq ft of living space (on a rock-hard surface) for a dog. And even if a person really wanted to spend a fortune and build an enormous 10’ x 12’ kenneling system, the fact is the dimensions of even this system still only add-up to a paltry 120 sq ft in total dimensions, per dog, which is less than half the living space of an average-sized chain set-up.

A lot of people mistakenly believe that kennel runs are the best way to keep dogs, but they are not. Kennel runs are the most expensive way for an owner to confine a dog, while being the least-roomy (and the least-comfortable) for that dog. These runs pictured here are 6’x10’ in dimensions — for a total of only 60 sq ft of living space for each dog. Since this kennel run is comprised of 10 kennels, this means the total square footage for all 10 dogs is 600 sq ft. And, remember, the whole thing is set on a rockhard concrete slab. Is this how *you* would like to live every day? Finally, regarding #3 the desire to meet the need to confine your dogs conveniently and cheaply, you can forget about either with kennel runs. A truly adequate kennel run system, with concrete flooring, roofing, drainage, and thick-enough fencing will cost you several hundred dollars to implement … per dog … and they will take a couple of months to construct … whereas a top-shelf chain set-up will cost you less than $60 per dog and will take only a couple of hours to set-up. In fact, let’s examine all of the advantages to chain set-ups even closer:

THE PROPER CHAIN SET-UP:

Let’s start right off the bat by clearing the air of one of the oldest myths perpetuated by animal rights fanatics, and that is “chains are cruel,” or “chains make a dog mean.” This is pure, fabricated bull-hockey and is absolutely untrue. I have raised hundreds of dogs on chains, during my nearly 20 years breeding dogs, with every one of them being happy and healthy, while not a single one has ever “become mean” because of a chain. Therefore I know first hand, for an indisputable fact, that all of this malarkey against “dogs being on chains” was invented by animal rights zealots who use their over-active imaginations as a substitute for genuine experience. These animal fanatics invent this concept in their head, or they repeat “what they’ve heard” from someone else, like parrots, while having no true first-hand understanding of the subject in question. I will prove, factually, with numbers and statistics, how and why chain set-ups are better for a dog (physically and psychologically), than any kind of fenced kennel run could ever hope to be. Let’s start out by discussing the LIVING SPACE of each. Again, the average kennel run size is 6’ x 10’ which indisputably and mathematically translates to a pathetic 60 sq ft of living space for a dog to live out his whole caged life. Again, even a “huge” 10’ x 12’ kennel run indisputably and mathematically translates to only 120 sq ft of caged living space for a dog (and again, on hard concrete). Now let’s compare these miserably-inadequate numbers to the open and spacious dimensions of a professional chain set-up, on nice soft earth, when using just an average-sized chain. Chain space set-ups, when anchored on a central axis, become circular living areas for a dog, and so to understand how much living space a dog will have on a properly set-up chain, we must first discuss some simple geometry. The surface area for any circle is pi (3.14) multiplied times the radius, squared. This is an indisputable mathematical fact of how to determine the surface area of a circle. Therefore, since the chain-length itself is the radius, this means that to find the surface area of a 10-ft long chain, we would take that ten feet, squared, which equals 100 ft. Then we would multiply this figure by pi (3.14) to come up with 314 square feet of living space for a dog on a 10’-long chain, when secured on a central axis. Again, this is an indisputable mathematical fact.

The mathematical facts of the matter are simple: one ten-foot chain, secured on a central axis, gives a dog 314 sq ft of room to enjoy himself … which is more than 5x the room of a 6’x10’ kennel run.

You could, quite literally, stuff FIVE 6’x10’ kennels into ONE 10’ chain space. And yet the animal rights geniuses try to enact laws against tethering, rather than kenneling! The truth is, both systems need some kind of “minimum standard” set as to their allowable dimensions. In other words, both kennel dimensions as well as appropriate chain lengths need to be based on the size of the dogs. But still, at the end of the day, proper chain kenneling will always allow a dog more freedom and space to enjoy his life. Again, here are the facts:

Basic Chain Dimensions

• 6’ Chain = 113 square feet of living space
  • 8’ Chain = 201 square feet of living space
  • 10’ Chain = 314 square feet of living space
  • 12’ Chain = 452 square feet of living space
  • 15’ Chain = 706 square feet of living space

When we remember that the surface area of a circle is pi (3.14), multiplied by the radius squared, we see that the above dimensions are the square-footage that different lengths of chain provide the animal, when secured on a central axis. Again, when we compare this to the average 6’ x 10’ kennel (60 square feet), or even the largest of kennels at 10’ x 12’ (120 square feet), we see that even the smallest of chain set-ups is virtually TWICE the size of an average kennel run and about as roomy as the largest of kennels. And the average-sized 10’ chain provides nearly TRIPLE the living space of even a huge 10’ x 12’ kennel and more than FIVE TIMES the living space of the average kennel. Now then, for all the bleeding-heart animal rights zealots out there, who sob at the thought of a dog “being on a chain,” I ask that you please wipe away your tears and pay attention to these facts for a moment. Then ask yourself this question: if you had to be confined, but had a choice, which would you rather be confined in … a 60 sq ft living space on hard concrete? (or a 120 sq ft living space on hard concrete?) … or would you instead choose to live within 314+ sq ft living space on soft earth? For that matter, ask yourself some more questions, from the dogs’ perspective: would you rather be permanently behind bars in a cage, in your smaller space on the harder surface (where you can’t be petted by your owner either)? … or would you rather be out in the open, where you can still investigate nature and where you can jump on your beloved owner and be petted every time he walks by you? I think the answers to these questions are obvious, if anyone wants to consider this subject reasonably and factually for a moment. The dimensions illustrated are all indisputable mathematical facts and are plain as day. Yet, sadly, there are many cities and counties, and some states even, where chaining a dog is now being considered “illegal” … and all of these laws were created by animal rights zealots thrusting their ignorant propaganda and agenda down the lawmakers’ throats, without any of these people truly knowing first-hand the actual FACTS about kenneling dogs.

When I go outside I can walk right up to each dog, pet them and play with them, and they never once have to feel imprisoned “behind bars.” They are also situated under a canopy of shade trees, so they always have a shady place to escape the sun, as well as places to seek the sun if they want a sunbath.

As far as meeting the original 3 goals of confinement (preventing our dogs from escaping; keeping our animals as happy, roomy, and comfortable as possible; and trying to meet these goals as conveniently and for as little unnecessary expense to us as possible), the professional chain set-up is clearly the winning protocol over kennel runs, hands down, and on every level. It’s not even a contest. So please don’t let your vote be swayed by animal rights activists who don’t really understand the realities of quartering dogs. Let your vote be swayed only by THE FACTS, from a professional, which clearly show ALL of the advantages go to the chain set-ups, both to the animals that have to be confined, as well as to the owners who have to pay for these protocols. Chain set-ups, when professionally-configured, offer the dogs two- to ten times the amount of room to move about, the dogs don’t have to be “behind bars,” and these configurations also allow the owner to walk right up and pet his dog(s) without having to open and close a fence or a door. Everybody wins, and so I hope this article has been helpful and educational, and that it will help prevent ignorant legislation from being passed.

Some interesting reading here about chain spots versus kennels.   Both have their goid and bad points

Atb j 

• Like 1

As I already said I have kennels with runs and boxes with chains, out of the two the dogs seem to prefer being on chains. Chains and a box are not as pretty, the living areas are not as easy to keep clean. Either set up is fine by me as long as the dogs are happy.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, vfr400boy said:

I'd like a big oak barrel for our gsd to sleep in in our yard but there bloody expensive 

quite few bulldog yards in America , use big plastic drums, dropped on wedges . looks like the dogs are on long chains, and most dogs wont shit where  sleep/kennel. But there kept like that because , if kept in a run  like you would keep other type dogs etc together  , it be blood bath with bulldogs, so it easier and cheaper to chain them . when i was kid growing in the 50s , our dogs were let out in the morning, there were just heinz 57s lol , but brought back in tea time 60 pm , and put on chain/ kennel, mind you he was fooker for fighting, he looked colliex staff type , go to allotment  where there was gsd bitch knocking about , the big male gsd didnt like that, he nearly killed him couple times, had to get the little prat stitched few times, he was tough little dog lol  . our bull breeds were all in there own kennel/runs.!

Be careful with tanalised wood in runs/kennels as its full of toxins. Few year back I had a young bitch running free in garden and it chewed on decking and burnt all its mouth, mouth was all sore and looked glued up. I took it to vets and he knew what it was straight away, quite common apparently. A jab and some tablets and it did heal up quick enough mind .

• Like 2

i had barrells for years ,during the winter of 2009,minus 12 ,i filled the barrells with straw and the dogs were roasting in them ,the only draw back was cleaning them ,i had to crawl in at times to get the things swept clean,but their as warm as hell,i paid 60 quid for each of mine ,but compared to a conventional dog box their half the price of a well made ply box

• Like 1