I made a mistake!

A few weeks ago I oiled the bolt on the 452 because it got soaked.

This cold weather comes along and I start getting misfires!

Stripped the bolt and yep full of black gunge, combustion material stuck to the oil!

Cleaned it out and struck an empty case in the chamber with a clean dry pin and yep, much better dent. Also I removed some burrs while I was there.

SD.

• Like 3

SD, happened to me on a long planned Pig Hunt, wanted to make sure all was perfect and got a bit over excited, could not figure what was causing the occasional hang fire on my plinking rifle (also happened to be a CZ, not the one I used for Pokers) I found over the years that best is a good clean but no residue left to gather powder or dust. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Nothing wrong in soaking it in spray oil when you get home and then wiping it clean and dry with a dry cloth an hour or two later once the moisture's been displaced. 

No ta. Don't need it. Out side yes, internally no.

On 21/01/2020 at 18:07, Sausagedog said:

Diesels?

I'd like Walshie but it won't let me. He's above my praise. :)

Dieseling is a term often used in air gunning to describe a controversial and probably illegal way to extract more power out of a 12ft lbs air gun. Basically, you insert the pellet and then squirt some light oil such as WD 40 into the chamber behind the pellet. When fired, the compression causes the oil to ignite, in the same way as a diesel engine works / ignites diesel oil (with pressure). The theory is the ignition causes the oil to produce gases as it burns, and these add to the pressure increasing the pellet velocity. It's controversial as gains are marginal, it's illegal in the sense that if gains take you over 12 ft lbs it becomes illegal, and it causes residue.

In reference to the above, in an ordinary gun, there are 2 ways oil may burn off, direct flame or ignition through pressure - dieseling. It's highly unlikely that using oil and wiping it touch dry is going to cause an issue. After all many a barrel is lubed after cleaning (just ask the missus).

As I see it the issue is more one of if you leave an internal part wet with oil, then you probably have enough oil to cause residue. Wipe it touch dry after cleaning or before use and any residue will be none existent to marginal and cleaned with the next round of cleaning. Oil is one of the few substances that can be spread out just 1 molecule thick, although I'm not sure wiping will necessary get it that thinly coated.

You could always try a dry lube which as the name suggests is dry almost immediately. No nasty sticky stuff for residue to stick.  I bought some on ebay for my semi auto shotgun which seems to work a treat. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K2-PTFE-Dry-Lubricant-Clear-Teflon-Grease-Spray-NO-SILICONE-Long-Protection-WD40/332555554828

Phil

• Like 2