Fox numbers ireland ?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If only we could have shown people what they were encouraging when they wanted hunting banned- aif foxes could vote they would choose to keep hunting!!

Already have your picture Dougal.  

This always makes me wonder - what is the point? Shooting foxes with thermal and nv is easy, no real sport, and if it’s poaching it’s Not pest control .... so what’s the compulsion? Genuinel

Posted Images

Saying there will be breeding stock where these lads can't reach is foolish. There is nowhere they can't reach now. They drive for hours in country they know nobody, never have to put a lamp on and shoot anything they see. All thermal spotters and night vision scopes. If there's anywhere they can't see into, they turn on their call boxes that have every call possible from squealing rabbit to vixen in heat. The latest trend is to set up feeding stations and just sit and wait for the foxes to roll in for an handy dinner. With prey numbers down it's an easy gig. There's a few who have genuine reason for vermin control, or to protect a particular species which I completely understand and support, but the majority are now out dropping stuff to boast on social media pages. Foxing with lamp and rifle took some skill and if you missed you rarely got another chance. There's now videos of lads using nv and thermal with foxes being shot at 6 times before a round hits home and the fox hasn't a notion. Foxing with a rifle has been the fastest growing feildsport for the last three years... No population can sustain what the fox is facing. 

• Like 4

This is just the tip of the iceberg lads.  There are few on that site that took under 100 last year. Here's one from the UK to give an idea of what I'm on about. They're keeping skulls and having them measured for medals... just to add to the boasting rights. 

Screenshot_20200121_090314.jpg

1 minute ago, Dougal McGuire said:

It changed times Thanks to the do gooders an antis, folk just trying to stay within the law long gone are the days when few lads were out with lurcher an terrier an they had good season digging 15 or 16

That shit above is just someone trying to be a hero 

8 minutes ago, Dougal McGuire said:

The cover men were at that shite long before the rifle became popular

I'd love to meet the cover man and his dog that took 501 foxes in a year like the individual and his rifle I posted before. You are saying the rifle men are only trying to stay legal. Running foxes with a lurcher is legal in Ireland, shooting less than 60 feet from the centre of a public highway is not. Neither is it legal to discharge a firearm on ground you do not have permission to do so. A big number of rifle men are operating on the wrong side of the law so don't try and preach that.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Dougal McGuire said:

The cover men were at that shite long before the rifle became popular

You got a rifle any chance? 

Takes a bit of effort and some skill killing a lot of daytime foxes with dogs.

My nan could rifle them with thermal and night vision.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Dougal McGuire said:

It hit or miss with rifle not often you get a second shot. Now it different story doing cover hounds in if breaks cover there a lurcher or some clown with semi auto waiting, if he run to ground then it time for wee cup tea before the latest wanker of a terrier yous just bought to get tried. Oh stick wee net over that hole c**t slipped out there the last time, ffs give your head a shake

Why are you on the working dog section if you prefer them being got with a rifle. Nobody asked you to hop on this thread. There is a rifle shooting section you know ?

Was out lastnight. Done a massive area. Started off in a particular area that I have a good bit of permission in but I know is hammered with the rifle by the lads I was on about before. I seen three all three of which were lamp shy. I was out from 8ish to half two and I seen no more than 10 foxs. On the way home I came across a live fox in a snare at the side of the main road in plain sight. I hope it was checked very early or there could be a photograph in the local newspaper, a lot of people would have seen it on the way to work where it was?‍♂️

35 minutes ago, Dougal McGuire said:

It hit or miss with rifle not often you get a second shot. Now it different story doing cover hounds in if breaks cover there a lurcher or some clown with semi auto waiting, if he run to ground then it time for wee cup tea before the latest wanker of a terrier yous just bought to get tried. Oh stick wee net over that hole c**t slipped out there the last time, ffs give your head a shake

Hit or miss with rifle... That's laughable. My whole point was, that is not the case with modern technology available. Even with only a lamp and a retard behind the trigger, you've another few rounds in the magazine and a couple of hundred meters to follow up. That chap that took 501 evidenced every single fox so gave no reason not to believe it. I wouldn't have posted it otherwise. Sitting round cover with shotguns on every viable exit is as bad as rifling them in my opinion. There's a 50/50 chance with a lurcher and if the terriers are as shite as your saying, sure the fox will never be dug. Opinions are like arse holes, we've all got one. The topic was not about what is right and wrong, it was about the declining fox population and I have obviously hit a nerve with the rifle folk by bringing a reason to the decline. Now run along and polish your gun. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Digga123 said:

Hit or miss with rifle... That's laughable. My whole point was, that is not the case with modern technology available. Even with only a lamp and a retard behind the trigger, you've another few rounds in the magazine and a couple of hundred meters to follow up. That chap that took 501 evidenced every single fox so gave no reason not to believe it. I wouldn't have posted it otherwise. Sitting round cover with shotguns on every viable exit is as bad as rifling them in my opinion. There's a 50/50 chance with a lurcher and if the terriers are as shite as your saying, sure the fox will never be dug. Opinions are like arse holes, we've all got one. The topic was not about what is right and wrong, it was about the declining fox population and I have obviously hit a nerve with the rifle folk by bringing a reason to the decline. Now run along and polish your gun. 

Your dead right.why any gun man would come onto the working dog section when there’s a shooting section is beyond me ... I wouldn’t go onto the gun section stirring the pot ...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sionnach99 said:

Your dead right.why any gun man would come onto the working dog section when there’s a shooting section is beyond me ... I wouldn’t go onto the gun section stirring the pot ...

Because he came on here to defend the unsportsmanlike and wanton slaughter of foxes, using nv and thermal vision. 

Using lurcher and terrier gives a more sporting chance to the fox, and you have the choice to let some live another day if you do wish to. 

Atb j 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Dougal McGuire said:

The cover men cant complain they been hammering them for years. There always going be a breeding stock of foxes living in places were nobody can hunt.

I go out with a small cover pack of hounds lurchers and terriers and we might kill 40 a season and that’s covering a hell of a lot of ground, road siders are killing that many in a few nights so absolutely no comparison. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

I go out with a small cover pack of hounds lurchers and terriers and we might kill 40 a season and that’s covering a hell of a lot of ground, road siders are killing that many in a few nights so absolutely no comparison. 

What part of the country are you hunting in? The hounds are good sport. What type hounds do you keep? 

4 hours ago, sionnach99 said:

They like being wankers, fella near me ,a pure mong with a rifle does be commenting on sab pages condemning hound work and saying how great and humane he is.

• Like 1