keeping a bird of prey Keighley/west yorkshire

carpy

Hey is any one keeping a bird of prey in Keighley area can travel as well.that would be willing to show me there set ups or wouldn't mind me going out when you fly one.I would like to own one not going to rush in to getting one just would like to learn about them 1st and buy all the stuff before I get one. I have been watching Harris's hawk's on you tube and every one says there the best bird for beginners.any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by carpy

And I would also add, a Harris is not necessarily the best bird for a beginner, they are intelligent, and biddable, but easy to mess up at the same time, owing to the. Fact that many owners are trained BY THE HAWK, a retail is a very good bird to begin with, you will be a more knowledgeable falconer training and flying a red in the end.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, charlie caller said:

And I would also add, a Harris is not necessarily the best bird for a beginner, they are intelligent, and biddable, but easy to mess up at the same time, owing to the. Fact that many owners are trained BY THE HAWK, a retail is a very good bird to begin with, you will be a more knowledgeable falconer training and flying a red in the end.

Couldn't have put it better myself.  If you do your apprenticeship with a redtail you will be set up fly most birds. Whereas if you do it with a Harris you'll only be set up to fly a Harris. 

• Like 1

Thanks lads.land is not a problem my garden backs on to a farm track then the farm land and moorland.and the owner lets me take my dog on the land and let me shoot and ferrets back when I had ferrets.I am going to to York Bird Of Prey Centre next month so going to have a chat with them. And I gave just found out there is one in Oxenhope nearby Haworth not far from me and you can book days out with them so that's the plan 

Like i sed im not in a rush could be a year  be for i get one but Smj falconry do a half day hunting for 100 pounds or 

Keeping a Bird of Prey

• C1 - Accommodation and Equipment
  • C2 - Feeding and Nutrition
  • C3 - Monitor and Maintain Health
  • C4 - Catching, Restraining and Moving
  • C5 - Legislation

Training a Bird of Prey

• C6 - Species Characteristics and Types
  • C7 - Furniture and Equipment
  • C8 - Initial Training, Manning, and Weight Management

Each unit carries its own certification, and more units under Raptor awards are currently being made, such as; Pest Control.

The cost of this 4-day course is £475 per person.

1 hour ago, carpy said:

Like i sed im not in a rush could be a year  be for i get one but Smj falconry do a half day hunting for 100 pounds or 

Keeping a Bird of Prey

• C1 - Accommodation and Equipment
  • C2 - Feeding and Nutrition
  • C3 - Monitor and Maintain Health
  • C4 - Catching, Restraining and Moving
  • C5 - Legislation

Training a Bird of Prey

• C6 - Species Characteristics and Types
  • C7 - Furniture and Equipment
  • C8 - Initial Training, Manning, and Weight Management

Each unit carries its own certification, and more units under Raptor awards are currently being made, such as; Pest Control.

The cost of this 4-day course is £475 per person.

Save your self the money If you have land to hunt on put an add on Facebook or on here offering a day out on your land  for someone local willing to show you what it’s about and couple cups of tea and a chat , ,that way you’ll get more offers , then they can weigh you up to see if your an idiot ( no offence ) and you can also see what it’s about and also tell if there an idiot ( not all falconers are good falconers ) the. If you like it offer them another day out , offer to do the ferreting for them even if you have to use there ferrets , then after a couple of outings of seeing what it’s about  See if it’s for you if it is ask them if they would be willing to teach you , there aren’t many people who would just let you go see there set up as you coulD be anyone ,anti/thief/ John Wayne gacey reincarnated ( no offence) people say get a Harris as a beginner bird but if you find a capable mentor then it’s up to you, but all birds are different and can need an experienced hand and eye running over them from time to time so if someone offers you the advice of “ just get a Harris hawk there easy to train you can’t go wrong “ ignore it because having a pissed off harris hawk locked on to you is no fun , trust me , 

good luck in finding someone , hope you get sorted , if there any good listen to what they say take there advice 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks and no offence taken.yes i understand about people not wanting strangers in there gardens with out noing them I would be the same. I keep watching you tube and reading posts.and now on sum Facebook groups so I can see pics of a few setups.thanks for all the advice. 

Try to contact a club if you can't find anyone thats near you. A lot of these centres are a waste of time, they will be happy to take your money and most aren't qualified to teach you anything about falconry. Falconry is hunting with a trained bird of prey. Try to get yourself in touch with someone that keeps their birds for hunting and get out with them, you will learn a lot more. Bird of prey centres are far removed from true falconry. Maybe someone on one of the FB pages that you mention once they can see that you are keen to learn I'm sure that someone will take you under their wing. Good luck!

• 4 months later...

It's good to see fellow members giving advice an knowledge on this forum. A think over the years it's thinned out the mynority of fools that love to crab folk. Good read even tho it''s an old post. Hope you found your feet and got the knowledge an advice you needed and have a hawk now ?

• Like 1