Running with the fox's!

Nearly all night!

My first time out with a pard nv019 and Si was right I was out for five and a half hours following fox's about!

It's taken some getting use to but I'm getting the hang of it.

My aim was to tackle lamp shy fox's on my patches and it does that well.

I watched one approach undetected and when I did light him up he was very surprised for a few moments. At close range it would of been an easy shot were it not for the nettle patch in the way! I'll be back!

Witnessed a dog and Vixen scrapping. Stood up on their back legs punching at each other, I though wow, they've been married for years! Instead of nailing one or both I watched them and in a flash they were gone ?. What followed was me following them on foot trying to undo my mistake but they busted me a mile later!

I kept walking, towards some ewes and farm. There I saw one back of the lamb shed and I doubt it wanted to congratulate the ewes on their new arrivals but I lost the sneaky....thing.

Or did I! The next field and as the cell in the PARD packed up a fox gave voice and I was able to spot it amongst sheep nearly 300yds away.

Putting the unit in my canvass bag I went traditional and moved in.

105 paces off hand, wmr. Died instantly. Sent a second one free of charge because....well you never know do you!

I knew it was dead how it folded up but it's good practice with a light calibre.

IMG_20200118_005050821.jpg.e2311aa8514266166bbfb01b6728b4c9.jpg

SD.

• Like 10

spotters are brilliant sd. be it nv or thermal.. ive spent hours just watching how animals behave you see some amazing stuff:thumbs:

if you see a laptop in a skip smash the battery pack up, there full of the right size batteries soldered together. 

im still shooting with the lamp on top as well, nice result:thumbs:

• Like 3
1 minute ago, si brown said:

spotters are brilliant sd. be it nv or thermal.. ive spent hours just watching how animals behave you see some amazing stuff:thumbs:

if you see a laptop in a skip smash the battery pack up, there full of the right size batteries soldered together. 

im still shooting with the lamp on top as well, nice result:thumbs:

That's a good idea, sometimes the gaffa at work leaves his lap top lying around....does BS affect them?

3 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

He’s been well and truly dragged, kicking and screaming from the “dark ages” . I reckon it will be thermal next ?

You can laugh, when I were a lad I heard of this lamping lark so I dug out an old parrafin lamp and tried this ere lamping.

It was very difficult that way I can tell ya!

Nothing turned up last night but my trail cam picked up one with a liking for cat food!

PTDC0084.JPG.17ec01f48990ce562518a99e6cd07f9b.JPG

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

You can laugh, when I were a lad I heard of this lamping lark so I dug out an old parrafin lamp and tried this ere lamping.

It was very difficult that way I can tell ya!

Nothing turned up last night but my trail cam picked up one with a liking for cat food!

PTDC0084.JPG.17ec01f48990ce562518a99e6cd07f9b.JPG

I’ll never forget me first lamping trip, it consisted of nicking/borrowing a car battery from a crashed car from behind  garage in the village and carting it round the fields in a wicker basket.. think I was 8!

Was about the time me mates neighbour threw us in for diy Larsen traps with shopping trolleys ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
53 minutes ago, si brown said:

I’ll never forget me first lamping trip, it consisted of nicking/borrowing a car battery from a crashed car from behind  garage in the village and carting it round the fields in a wicker basket.. think I was 8!

Was about the time me mates neighbour threw us in for diy Larsen traps with shopping trolleys ?

Arrr, the good old days, my first lamp was a spot light off a mk2 XR2 and a motorbike battery when we were out with the dogs and made a fox trap out of an old trolley, at the time we didn’t have guns so dispatching it when we were about 14 was what you might call interesting ?

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
37 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Arrr, the good old days, my first lamp was a spot light off a mk2 XR2 and a motorbike battery when we were out with the dogs and made a fox trap out of an old trolley, at the time we didn’t have guns so dispatching it when we were about 14 was what you might call interesting ?

That remoner solicitor springs to mind?

our first trip wasn’t very fruitful, think we were armed with a catapult and a big stick, we went back to hand lining the trout after that night?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, si brown said:
9 minutes ago, si brown said:

That remoner solicitor springs to mind?

our first trip wasn’t very fruitful, think we were armed with a catapult and a big stick, we went back to hand lining the trout after that night?

Yeah, something along those lines ?

On 18/01/2020 at 08:05, si brown said:

ive spent hours just watching how animals behave you see some amazing stuff:thumbs:

yes it is interesting

On 18/01/2020 at 08:05, si brown said:

It doesn't seem all that many years ago that I was using a lead acid motor bike battery in a sort of gas mask bag pop riveted to an old belt.  the lamp was off of a Honda 50.  I used it for rabbiting mounted under a Mossberg pump.  Range was about 30 yards but it worked well on windy nights when the rabbits would sit tight.  The illumination was crap.  One of the main drawbacks was that it was very difficult to judge range.  generally I could have shot stuff a lot further away.  In the end I paced out distances during the day from gate to oak tree ect.  The shots that I could then take at night looked way out of range but I knew that the range was good due to the knowledge of how far things were due to pacing out the distances during the day.  For the bigger fields I cut sticks and set them up at 30 pace distance along the line of the field.  The battery even powered a small cb unit that I used to communicate to my mate with across the farm.  The bag rotted out along with the leg of my jeans.  all soon replaced with a backpack, sealed jelly  batteries and Halogen lamp.  sometimes in the wet and mud it was hard going to cart the gun, cartridges, battery and lamp along with an amount of rabbits.  points near gates were found to hang the rabbits but Charlie must have been following me because one time I came back to pick up and one rabbit had gone and another was chewed up a bit.

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, Meece said:

yes it is interesting

It doesn't seem all that many years ago that I was using a lead acid motor bike battery in a sort of gas mask bag pop riveted to an old belt.  the lamp was off of a Honda 50.  I used it for rabbiting mounted under a Mossberg pump.  Range was about 30 yards but it worked well on windy nights when the rabbits would sit tight.  The illumination was crap.  One of the main drawbacks was that it was very difficult to judge range.  generally I could have shot stuff a lot further away.  In the end I paced out distances during the day from gate to oak tree ect.  The shots that I could then take at night looked way out of range but I knew that the range was good due to the knowledge of how far things were due to pacing out the distances during the day.  For the bigger fields I cut sticks and set them up at 30 pace distance along the line of the field.  The battery even powered a small cb unit that I used to communicate to my mate with across the farm.  The bag rotted out along with the leg of my jeans.  all soon replaced with a backpack, sealed jelly  batteries and Halogen lamp.  sometimes in the wet and mud it was hard going to cart the gun, cartridges, battery and lamp along with an amount of rabbits.  points near gates were found to hang the rabbits but Charlie must have been following me because one time I came back to pick up and one rabbit had gone and another was chewed up a bit.

Honda 50's were six volt when you were a lad Meece ?