Curly tail in terrier

Bought a bitch at 8 weeks was told she was off of good dogs and was full patterdale. Only thing being she's got a tail that curls upwards. She's a good dog and is coming up to 7 months old now. Hoping to give her a look and of the season and she'll be getting used for everything and anything. Was wondering if there's a terrier the tail could be specific to? Cheers 

Edited by black lurcher
  • Haha 1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’d said pat russle from that pic but to be  fair could be anything 

looks like it likes the biscuit tin eh?

Think she's got some of that American squirrel feist aswell as duck tolling retriever. I'm enjoying the dog and hoping she progresses and proves her worth. She retrieves feather well but anything with

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, black lurcher said:

Bought a bitch at 8 weeks was told she was off of good dogs and was full patterdale. Only thing being she's got a tail that curls upwards. She's a good dog and is coming up to 7 months old now. Hoping to give her a look and of the season and she'll be getting used for everything and anything. Was wondering if there's a terrier the tail could be specific to? Cheers 

Some paterdales terriers do curl over back towards there head if not docked or a long dock , I’ve seen plenty with tails like that , or could have Russel in it ,truth is unless you no who bred them and trust them then it’s pot luck guess 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, black lurcher said:

If you were told she is off of good dog's I'm sure he must have told what line she was off of. And is it curled up from genetics or is it broken and it's curls up from being broke? ?‍♂️ post a pick of it so we can all see what it looks like, that could help

• Like 1

Nearly all working bred terriers other than borders have been docked for donkeys years so nobody would know which direction the tail would go in their breeding or strain if left full. A straight tail isn't something that will have been bred for like in the kc breeds of terrier although I wouldn't put it past the working show brigade of dog hanging bollock ticklers that are rosette obsessed. 

• Like 1

I doubt it's a genetic thing. It might have happened while baking in the oven. And I can't think of a dog that someone would want to use that has a curly tail that would have any benefits to helping a line of working dog. I'd say it happened while in the sack. And thanks for posting the pick, I thought it was worse then that. Like a Bulldogs tail or something. Lol. It don't look bad at all. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Don’t look pure patterdale ? Does it .

No looks like black russle but admittedly I’m no expert on terriers , there’s lad on here who would of forgot more than I’ll ever no but to me the tail the head shape muzzle and coat looks like pat russle 

• Like 1

Only thing that looks like russell on that dog is all the white. But then again some of you of here post picks of your pats that also have a lot of white. Does that mean your dogs also have Russel in them? And never saw a bent tail on a Russell ?‍♂️. Don't worry about the tail, it's fine. It won't stop the bitch from working. Only thing I'd be worried about is if it wasn't flexible that it might break in a set. But who knows. Enjoy the dog not then tail. 

Edited by Ace Boone coon
  • Like 1