Struggling to find a Shotgun.

1 minute ago, Sausagedog said:

Bismuth can be used like regular lead but is classed as non toxic.

However....it is much more expensive.

I'm thinking that if you found a good fitting gun, and don't shoot hundreds of ducks then......

I will keep looking for a Multichoke for the time being, just think it gives me more options. 

However bismuth sounds good I will look into that more! Thanks, ?

• Like 2

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you mad man??? It's the only time I get any peace!! 

S D is experienced and gives good advice. Shooting is easy although some make it hard work.  Don't get stuck in a groove about chokes and bore sizes. There's nothing wrong in fixed chokes.  It re

Bernard, we've all seen the pyjamas; I'm no taking fashion advice from you!

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Meece said:

S D is experienced and gives good advice.

Shooting is easy although some make it hard work.  Don't get stuck in a groove about chokes and bore sizes. There's nothing wrong in fixed chokes.  It really don't make that much difference if you put the lead on the target it breaks.  The gun has to fit you and you have to be able to see the picture. If you can do this your on track. If you can't then a pair of Holland's won't help you.  This is the basis of it all. There are 12 g loads that are lighter and easier than some twenty loads and send a better charge pattern. No one ....,,,,,  wanders round changing chokes.  Select half and you can shoot lead or steel though with no probs.  Dont get into a position of being a beginner paint you into an expensive corner. 

Thank you for your advice, really appreciate it. I have a very strict price limit so but I am only buying when the gun really suits me and what I want it for. 

SD has really helped ?

16 minutes ago, Meece said:

S D is experienced and gives good advice.

Shooting is easy although some make it hard work.  Don't get stuck in a groove about chokes and bore sizes. There's nothing wrong in fixed chokes.  It really don't make that much difference if you put the lead on the target it breaks.  The gun has to fit you and you have to be able to see the picture. If you can do this your on track. If you can't then a pair of Holland's won't help you.  This is the basis of it all. There are 12 g loads that are lighter and easier than some twenty loads and send a better charge pattern. No one ....,,,,,  wanders round changing chokes.  Select half and you can shoot lead or steel though with no probs.  Dont get into a position of being a beginner paint you into an expensive corner. 

I took so much time thinking about and composing this post that you lot were rattling them in and I  sort of got left behind. One of the son in laws is a blooming good shot and is often out shooting game.  One day he was in the ginshop and in the bargain bucket was a Laurona ou for eighty quid.  He bought it for a bit of fun and took it out on a driven day.  Shooting next to him were blokes who had very , very  expensive guns.  They weren't hitting anything.  The moral of this is that it ain't how big or shiny your weapon is, it's what you do with it. There are those who now reckon that if it aint multi choke,  single trigger, 30 + inch barrels then they aint interested. You could spent thirty grand on a gun and still not be able to shoot with it.  Many do.

Ps.  A good example of this sort of nonsense is that another of the son in laws Went into a shop in Hastings to get a slab of cartridges.  Some bloke came in and had a nice sbs ejector and wanted rid.  The shop didn't want to take it in so this bloke GAVE the gun to son IN law.  Lucky he had his ect with him. the blokes Reason was .... fixed choke, double trigger,  side by side AND  " it kicked like a mule."  Well that may be so but if he thinks that, well that's  what he thinks.  Son in law wasn't going to try to persuade him otherwise.   I've shot it and it is a very nice gun. Stiĺ its a lot to do with whats betwen the ears and not the legs.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Meece said:

I took so much time thinking about and composing this post that you lot were rattling them in and I  sort of got left behind. One of the son in laws is a blooming good shot and is often out shooting game.  One day he was in the ginshop and in the bargain bucket was a Laurona ou for eighty quid.  He bought it for a bit of fun and took it out on a driven day.  Shooting next to him were blokes who had very , very  expensive guns.  They weren't hitting anything.  The moral of this is that it ain't how big or shiny your weapon is, it's what you do with it.

Haha I 100% agree with you. 

I also believe second hand guns look good and have character. 

Know it well. I've a niece in Trolliloes and used to be down through there a lot.  Only the other week we were in the kings head in Ninfield.  a nice area.  Back to the matter in hand.  It doesn't matter what you shoot with as long as you get the desired result.  A lot of females and youts  do not have great upper body strength.  quite often they get saddled with totally unsuitable guns.  they counteract by leaning away backwards with silly mount and resulting kick and inability to connect.  At the present time there is lots of opportunity to get good quality side by sides that are really cheap because they are out of fashion.  There is a lot to be said for a 12 shooting a light load such as 24 or 21 gram.  no different to a 28 bore and they chop game down as pretty as you like.  Find something that is a heavy as you can manage to absorb the recoil.  This along with a light load dispatches a wider shot column giving a better pattern.  if you consider a No.6 pellet of the same speed is the same impact power no matter the bore size.  eg mass x speed + ft lb impact out of a 410 or a 12 bore.  its just the pellet count and pattern.  if its a cheap gun the brutality of a saw can alter the stock BUT you still have to have the correct face stock alignment to get the correct stance and sight picture.  Years ago the famous writer Gough Thomas used to advocate a 12 with open boring shooting a light load of No.7.  this is very effective.  As far as I'm concerned half choke is the best all round.    Check out on YouTube  GIL ASHE.he is a bit of an odd ball but he knows what he is talking about.   I think that he along with CHRIS BATHA are brilliant shooting coaches.  chokes.... you don't need to worry ....  Ps I use 28. 20 12. all sorts of configurations and types.  see the target, track it , kill it .  shoot to kill and lead the head. if you put the lead on the target it will do its best.

9 hours ago, Meece said:

Know it well. I've a niece in Trolliloes and used to be down through there a lot.  Only the other week we were in the kings head in Ninfield.  a nice area.  Back to the matter in hand.  It doesn't matter what you shoot with as long as you get the desired result.  A lot of females and youts  do not have great upper body strength.  quite often they get saddled with totally unsuitable guns.  they counteract by leaning away backwards with silly mount and resulting kick and inability to connect.  At the present time there is lots of opportunity to get good quality side by sides that are really cheap because they are out of fashion.  There is a lot to be said for a 12 shooting a light load such as 24 or 21 gram.  no different to a 28 bore and they chop game down as pretty as you like.  Find something that is a heavy as you can manage to absorb the recoil.  This along with a light load dispatches a wider shot column giving a better pattern.  if you consider a No.6 pellet of the same speed is the same impact power no matter the bore size.  eg mass x speed + ft lb impact out of a 410 or a 12 bore.  its just the pellet count and pattern.  if its a cheap gun the brutality of a saw can alter the stock BUT you still have to have the correct face stock alignment to get the correct stance and sight picture.  Years ago the famous writer Gough Thomas used to advocate a 12 with open boring shooting a light load of No.7.  this is very effective.  As far as I'm concerned half choke is the best all round.    Check out on YouTube  GIL ASHE.he is a bit of an odd ball but he knows what he is talking about.   I think that he along with CHRIS BATHA are brilliant shooting coaches.  chokes.... you don't need to worry ....  Ps I use 28. 20 12. all sorts of configurations and types.  see the target, track it , kill it .  shoot to kill and lead the head. if you put the lead on the target it will do its best.

Thank you, that is really helpful, a lot to consider aswell. 

I will check gil ash on YouTube now thank you ?

I found I lent back with the longer stock guns, which is where I've come to the conclusion 13-13.5 inch will be best when I held one, I stood well.

My wife has been shooting clays for many years but over the last twelve months she is feeling the recoil so much more so I have switched her from 28gr to 21gr which has made a huge difference to her pleasure of shooting. I took a few of her 21gr cartridges to try on the pigeon and have to say, they bring them down just as well as my normal 29gr but so sweet to use. I will also say that I have used these on Olympic Trap clays which are both very fast and going away from the shooter and these little cartridges smash the clay very well indeed.

A good friend of mine who is a keen game shooter switched to 21gr for all his shooting because of a shoulder injury which caused quite a bit of pain during shooting but the switch allowed him to enjoy his shooting without a drop in bag size.     The 21gr are well worth a try.

My regular shooting partner decided to buy a 20 gauge o/u just because he fancied one. His budget was not so high so he bought a Kofs 28'' o/u multichoke and loves it. I must say that I have not tried it yet but he has used it for decoying and walked up and expressed how light and comfortable it was to shoot. If my memory serves me correctly, I think the gun was less than £450. He also advised me that there was no excessive recoil either but not sure what cartridges he was using but I do know that he had an operation on the shoulder so is sensitive to recoil.

It is a pity you are so far away as I am sure my wife would let you try her gun / cartridge combination and I know my pal would also let you try the 20 gauge, oh well.      https://www.kofs.com.tr/en/product-group/4

I wish you well in your search

Phil

• Like 1
3 hours ago, philpot said:

My wife has been shooting clays for many years but over the last twelve months she is feeling the recoil so much more so I have switched her from 28gr to 21gr which has made a huge difference to her pleasure of shooting. I took a few of her 21gr cartridges to try on the pigeon and have to say, they bring them down just as well as my normal 29gr but so sweet to use. I will also say that I have used these on Olympic Trap clays which are both very fast and going away from the shooter and these little cartridges smash the clay very well indeed.

A good friend of mine who is a keen game shooter switched to 21gr for all his shooting because of a shoulder injury which caused quite a bit of pain during shooting but the switch allowed him to enjoy his shooting without a drop in bag size.     The 21gr are well worth a try.

My regular shooting partner decided to buy a 20 gauge o/u just because he fancied one. His budget was not so high so he bought a Kofs 28'' o/u multichoke and loves it. I must say that I have not tried it yet but he has used it for decoying and walked up and expressed how light and comfortable it was to shoot. If my memory serves me correctly, I think the gun was less than £450. He also advised me that there was no excessive recoil either but not sure what cartridges he was using but I do know that he had an operation on the shoulder so is sensitive to recoil.

It is a pity you are so far away as I am sure my wife would let you try her gun / cartridge combination and I know my pal would also let you try the 20 gauge, oh well.      https://www.kofs.com.tr/en/product-group/4

I wish you well in your search

Phil

Hello, 

Thank you for reply. Went shooting today with a small stocked 12g sxs but still had 32g loads in it. I don't mind shooting it, I am thinking of buying it off my partner. If so I may shorten the stock to suit me exactly and try 21g or 24g loads in it. 

But definitely still look for a ou 20g that kofs that someone put up slightly higher, looks amazing will be going to go see it next week. 

It's a shame I don't know any other women who shoot local to me.