A game of two half’s

Out at the shoot tonight on fox patrol, mainly because little Hugo’s dad wanted to show off his new pulsar thermal spotter, so on arrival we had a play with it and I have to say they are very impressive, I could see far more than I could see through my nv spotter although a lot of what I could see with the thermal I could not I.d. until we got closer to it and by then I could see it better with the nv but it’s definitely a good bit of kit to pick things out long before it comes into view with the nv, after 15 minutes or so we headed out, arriving at our boundary with next doors shoot I set the caller up almost the other side of the field due to the moon lighting the full place up, hoping to draw any gingers attention away from us, it wasn’t long before the first customer came out no more than 25 yards up from us and started heading across the field towards the caller, not wanting to spook it I allowed it to carry on across the field, it picked up a bit of speed to what I would say was a trot, my mate whispered to me “do you want me to shout” I sad no, I didn’t want to spook it and have it take off running, so I did something I don’t normally do, as it trotted down a tyre track on the field I placed the crosshairs in front of it and as it entered the scope I squeezed the trigger, down he went at 74 yards, an older dog and a good weight so definitely a good one to get out the way, 

after giving it another 20 minutes to make sure of no followers we headed to the bottom of the field at the back of the farm, I passed my mate the rifle and I set the caller out 50 yards away and set it away again with the sexy time vixen call, within 15 minutes we had one out the oak wood heading to the call, it stopped approximately 110 yards away and sat looking towards the call, I told my mate to take the shot as it was looking a bit twitchy, it then started to back away, moving another 10 yards or so up the field, stopping and looking back towards the caller, bang went the rifle and off went the fox at a fair old lick, I asked him what happened and he blamed the trigger sticks saying he couldn’t get steady ( this is because I purposely left his dog sh*t quad stick at home ) now this is the third one he has missed in recent times so I’m going to have to give his fox shoot some serious thought, maybe he needs to prove himself on some long distance rabbits before he can go back behind the rifle on a fox

FB354273-EA9F-410B-B50A-61493CF7F531.png

D3150A8C-091C-424E-8639-71607594A6C4.jpeg

• Like 8

Nice pics and write up Stavross. I used to have a mate come with me and we took it in turns to shoot . He went through a bit of a “miss everything “ period. I got so wound up and pissed off about it that the partnership dissolved . He’s still a mate and to be fair he shoots a lot of deer . I think a lot of it was me pressuring him to take shots because I knew they were about to disappear, and he wasn’t comfortable or ready . Now that I am a “lone wolf “ I can only blame myself if anything goes wrong . If someone comes with me now they hold the rank of “Chief opener and closer of the gates “.

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Tyla said:

Why don't you let the poor bloke use the quad sticks if he is comfortable with them?

Because he spends to much time rattling them about and if by the off chance the fox is still there he still bloody misses it ?

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, David.evans said:

Stav 

im supprised you got anything will a full moon mate , not very often it comes good with me 

I said the same thing to my mate when we got there, I thought there’s no chance, it was like day light, I didn’t need the ir on the nv spotter, it was just a matter of hiding in the tree line and putting the caller a long way from us, when they have loving on their mind it takes a little bit to distract them ?

• Like 1

Good shooting Stav!

Shooting off the top of a vehicle certainly has advantages especially on moonlit nights. Foxes see movement before anything else.

My mate that i shoot with isn't the best shot either although off the vehicle he is ok up to two hundred yards or so. It's when you have to stretch the range that he comes unstuck, i think it's a confidence thing. He always says that's too far for me you better shoot it, which i suppose is better than missing it.

Problem you have now is it is educated. You cannot use the same call or try and call to the same place as it will know what's coming  and will just go the other way. Maybe a bait and wait job using a trail cam for a time.  

Edited by ianm
  • Like 5

I think this customer will now be a bait and wait, if he wasn’t confident in the shot I wish he would of said and past me the rifle but he’s not the type of person to do that, he’ll take the shot and blame something or other for the miss, don’t get me wrong he knows what he’s doing and I’ve been with him when he’s dropped 300+ yard foxes, lately he seems to have gone right off the boil, he has always been better at shooting baited foxes, I think it’s because he knows where they are and there’s no pressure to get a shot off, I told him that I have to get up the sheep farm in the coming days ( before his miss ) and he wants to come, there’s no way he’s shooting there, I certainly can’t afford a miss there this time of year 

• Like 2