Smart Motorways & Technology

On 14/01/2020 at 21:50, twobob said:

Ye same as grayman says they have em at 50 next one's 40 down to 30 and you never see a thing no incident no fxckall they have camaras watching the traffic flow why don't they just look on them they would see the wasn't a problem and let the motorway run at 70

Come on mate thats a bit naive to say theres never any incident....im certainly not one for playing by rules but even im not that cynical ?

These control centres can see 20 odd miles in each direction......thats what,anything up to an hour in front of what we can see most of the time an incident is sorted by the time we get there....sometimes you,ll say " well wheres the f****n accident then " only to see a car sitting in one of the refuge areas thats been towed off.....i dont like the idea of Smart Motorways any more than the next man but i concede that they are necessary and in all fairness at least traffic congestion is something thats being dealt with i dont see much happening with the housing crisis,the over stretched NHS or any of the other infrastructure of the country thats at breaking point due to over population,at least the Highways lot are doing something !

• Like 1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A freedom of information request by BBC Panarama has revelled 38 deaths attributed to smart motorways in the last five years , one section , just outside London has seen a twenty fold increase in near

Ford Cortina mk 4 ?

Posted Images

5 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Come on mate thats a bit naive to say theres never any incident....im certainly not one for playing by rules but even im not that cynical ?

These control centres can see 20 odd miles in each direction......thats what,anything up to an hour in front of what we can see most of the time an incident is sorted by the time we get there....sometimes you,ll say " well wheres the f****n accident then " only to see a car sitting in one of the refuge areas thats been towed off.....i dont like the idea of Smart Motorways any more than the next man but i concede that they are necessary and in all fairness at least traffic congestion is something thats being dealt with i dont see much happening with the housing crisis,the over stretched NHS or any of the other infrastructure of the country thats at breaking point due to over population,at least the Highways lot are doing something !

Fair enough not every time  probably 99 out of 100  you say it could be twenty mile away  I've travelled another hundred mile and seen fxck all you call me a cynic I travel from Halifax to Castleford alot I get on the 62 going east it's down to 50 on a Sunday congestion but the fourth lanes closed so again I ask how's that smart 

• 2 weeks later...

A freedom of information request by BBC Panarama has revelled 38 deaths attributed to smart motorways in the last five years , one section , just outside London has seen a twenty fold increase in near miss reports since the hard shoulder was removed in 2014 . This number is significant given the low percentage of miles compared to ordinary motorway .The minister that signed off on them admitted he was mislead after the emergency refuges  which were spaced at 600 metres on the original trial area was increased in some cases to 2.5 miles .The whole thing is under review ..

• Like 3