Smart Motorways & Technology

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A freedom of information request by BBC Panarama has revelled 38 deaths attributed to smart motorways in the last five years , one section , just outside London has seen a twenty fold increase in near

Ford Cortina mk 4 ?

Posted Images

22 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Im sure theres other chaps like me on here thick as shit when it comes to technology.....but being in the market for a new motor i thought id share the info i gained from an interesting couple of hours in a car showroom yesterday......so a couple of salesmen are showing me around the car and im asking " whats this button do "....." whats this for " etc ...... theres a panel down below the steering wheel that im told is for a future add on to do with Smart Motorways and how over the coming years control centres monitoring the road networks will be actually taking over the speed of your car !!!........the way they are now using cctv and vehicle detection stuff to open and close lanes,adjust speed limits etc well this is apparently just the first phase on the way to full radar technology to enforce mandatory speeds and eventually force all vehicles on Smart Motorways to travel at the same speed which will supposedly lead to quicker journeys,less accidents,healthier environment and a shitload of other stuff.....i came out with my head spinning i mean is it me or is all this a bit overkill and too futuristic. 

It's a load of bollocks gnasher just a nother way of controling the masses

• Like 1
13 hours ago, sussex said:

These smart motorways are that good they have decided to stop building them , there is obviously a problem with safety with both types , the ones where the hard shoulder is used as a running lane in busy times is confusing people and two or three deaths have occurred when people had a slight accident , got out of the cars and where hit by other vehicles , the other type seem  just as dangerous were there are refuges you can pull into providing your car hasn’t broke down between them ..seems like the old job of over complicating something trying to save money ..

How they even let a mile of those smart motorways go ahead is beyond me. anyone that's ever driven on a motorway would know they're a bad idea. How these people get jobs designing road layouts. traffic light positions etc is beyond me, they must never leave the office to see the actual road layouts!  On my road the council have stopped the parking in bays and on the pavement, you now park on the road in bays with island things going into the road, turning into the road from other roads they've created loads of blindspots and a lot less parking spaces - even the blokes who were working on the roadworks said they've never worked on something so stupid 

10 hours ago, robertb123 said:

How they even let a mile of those smart motorways go ahead is beyond me. anyone that's ever driven on a motorway would know they're a bad idea. How these people get jobs designing road layouts. traffic light positions etc is beyond me, they must never leave the office to see the actual road layouts!  On my road the council have stopped the parking in bays and on the pavement, you now park on the road in bays with island things going into the road, turning into the road from other roads they've created loads of blindspots and a lot less parking spaces - even the blokes who were working on the roadworks said they've never worked on something so stupid 

10 hours ago, twobob said:

No such thing as smart motorway either gnasher just another way to screw money out of motorists

It is all part of a grand plan to force as many motorists off the roads as possible and tax the Hell out of those that remain.

23 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Thats it....some of the shit they was talking about had my head spinning.....Adaptive Cruise Control,Vehicle to Vehicle Communication,Energy Saving Body Panels,Night Vision !!!....its just too much.

A lad I no was out last year up to naughty,s and in the middle of a the night in a field he,s hit a tree, next thing his mobile goes off and it’s mercedes on the phone telling him not to worry his accident had triggered there system and a breakdown truck was on its way out to him, just what you need when trying to be covert is a truck covered in orange flashing lights looking for you, ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 12/01/2020 at 18:41, W. Katchum said:

Good job I’ll never be able to afford a motor new enough to have it ? fcuk getting in debt for a motor I’ll keep buying older ones ? 

The days of anyone buying or running on the road an older pre technology car are disappearing real fast.  The local small garage has almost disappeared because if there is the smallest fault they .cant fix it. Now say in a robotic  voice .....  I will conform ! Again ..... I will conform....Again ..... I will conform....   and if you do not conform the GUBERMENT will cut off your electric your gas, your water your food and your air supply......  you WILL conform !!!  Failing that you will have to either walk, run or use a pushbike and sidecar. But whatever mode of transport you use,  it will have to have no carbon footprint.

17 hours ago, Greyman said:

A lad I no was out last year up to naughty,s and in the middle of a the night in a field he,s hit a tree, next thing his mobile goes off and it’s mercedes on the phone telling him not to worry his accident had triggered there system and a breakdown truck was on its way out to him, just what you need when trying to be covert is a truck covered in orange flashing lights looking for you, ??

? Half the battle with a lot of this technology is finding out how to turn it off !

This one has the capability for Voice Command Personal Assistant which by tracking your face can assess your mood and emotions,drowsiness,road rage and other potential safety issues....but what comes hand in hand with this is Facial Recognition Engine Start...... it seems a dangerous combination as ive got a terrible feeling its going to end up saying " f**k off you ugly c**t im not starting " ?

• Haha 2

Even the garage car mechanic has got it very easy these days.

Big dealer garages.bmw/audi/Merc etc.

Back in the day a car mechanic knew the ins and outs of practically every car.

And had a wealth of knowledge.

Nowadays.if a car has a problem it's plugged into a pc the problem found and the part ordered.

Which comes in a pack with exactly the right amount of bolts.washers etc.not Even a spare bolt.

The job work sheet is printed out detailing the first thing to undo complete with pics.even giving the spanner size etc.

And the reverse procedure is the same.

Anyone can become a car mechanic now.zero knowledge needed.

As long as you can pick up a spanner with the size 14 or 17 on you are sorted.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Apparently they prefer the term Motor Technicians these days....not Motor Mechanics ?

Yea.spanner monkey or grease monkey is a fast fading name..

A soil redistribution and stabilisation technician.Sounds quite good.

But it's just a dozer driver lol..

To many nonsence names about for jobs nowadays gnasher..

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, king said:

Yea.spanner monkey or grease monkey is a fast fading name..

A soil redistribution and stabilisation technician.Sounds quite good.

But it's just a dozer driver lol..

To many nonsence names about for jobs nowadays gnasher..

You off the fag still king