Hunting .with the 177 cal.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never really gave the jsb heavies much barrel time in the 100 or r10 mark but the 100 bloody loved biz mags and thats all i fed her for a long time and they worked a treat. The 99 is more than happy

I dont think you can beat an hw100 mate, iv had plenty of different pcp's but only have them a few months then get ridd, iv had this hw100 kt  since new, about 2 years, before that i had a full length

use to use the heavies loads till I started shooting around livestock, used them and biz mags as both are good when your stretching the range! problem was pass throughs and ricochets .. not a pro

Posted Images

1. No not at all Mark , but I thought you of all people would know better about pellets 

just because a you tuber saying something  it doesn’t mean it’s true  

Si knows his airgun shootings inside out , so not taking anything away from him 

At the moment,  I only own springers so, I'm on the light to mid weight pellets.

......... I may test the heavies when I have time.

In the 2 HW100s that I've had, I always used JSB Heavies for hunting.

........ it may be psychological but, quarry hit in the right place with those did seem to move less. Also, there seemed to be more of an audible crack when they hit the spot compared with something around 7/8 grains.

I think the shape of the pellet may be helping as well - being less waisted and having more mass, they tend to deform less so, they drill more of a wound channel - I've had some pretty decent pass throughs and, I've found pellets that have traveled a fair way in shot quarry.

......... it's the old debate about whether this or, dumping energy into prey is best.

I like the Heavies in a PCP - I found them to be accurate and reliable.

.......... as we all know, they don't kill any better than any other well placed pellet - they're just what I had confidence in.

• Like 1

This one was taken with a JSB Heavy at 51yrds - the rifle was zeroed at 37yrds.

......... The shot was taken from just past those over hanging trees in the background. 

It was a fairly awkward shot on a skittish rabbit but, the pellet hit home well and, he fell straight onto his side with just a couple of leg waves.

IMG_20180807_205440.jpg

IMG_20180807_205359.jpg

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Jonjon79 said:

This one was taken with a JSB Heavy at 51yrds - the rifle was zeroed at 37yrds.

......... The shot was taken from just past those over hanging trees in the background. 

It was a fairly awkward shot on a skittish rabbit but, the pellet hit home well and, he fell straight onto his side with just a couple of leg waves.

IMG_20180807_205440.jpg

IMG_20180807_205359.jpg

Wish your put a sun shade on that Jon... ???

10 hours ago, villaman said:

Mark , the best thing to do is try them and make your own mind up 

your HW should like them as well . ??

Marko. Obvs v’man is  right, but I have indeed tried them myself from voymir as they do look mint, little tin cans like, and there a bit gash on my own 100 to be honest. I’ve not shot any game with them for that reason. Accurate like, but accurate as in 1/2”... nothing like me magnums which is pellet hole size at my zero. In fact, got the monsters too... rotten. 

Do it and let us know.

Be interesting to see how the barrels are fussy bitches in real life. On another note, I’m surprised to see you take that much from YT channels. There no better than most on the forum, they just “show” what there up too like. It’s all a bit 8 years ago. Decent post mukka, but I know, you know, your pellet is doing it’s job every time you go out. Proof is in the pud and your hunting posts show just that. 

• Like 2

Aye up Rez,

I always try to learn from others, be it You Tube or any individual :good:

Si Pitterway`s and Davy`s comments caught my attention about the damage these pellets cause in the hunting field and so I asked if anyone hunts with them ?

I can't see myself changing from the JSB Exact Express or AA Fields as they deliver big time - just me being inquisitive buddy :yes:.

atb. Mark.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mark williams said:

Aye up Rez,

I always try to learn from others, be it You Tube or any individual :good:

Si Pitterway`s and Davy`s comments caught my attention about the damage these pellets cause in the hunting field and so I asked if anyone hunts with them ?

I can't see myself changing from the JSB Exact Express or AA Fields as they deliver big time - just me being inquisitive buddy :yes:.

atb. Mark.

Give the heavies ago Mark , you never know it might make you into a better shooter :rofl: 

only joking so don’t jump down my throat :thumbs:

use to use the heavies loads till I started shooting around livestock, used them and biz mags as both are good when your stretching the range!

problem was pass throughs and ricochets .. not a problem out in the middle of nowhere but near the road side and around cattle I just wasn't happy so I went onto the express,

one extreme to the other.. I was always sceptical about the light weights in the wind but I wouldn't go back to heavy pellets in .177 now!

me 100 loved them and the little ultra is great with them, use them on rats and feral in the barns with no problems and they hold the wind just as well out in the open so ill be sticking with the express :thumbs:

• Like 3