Hunting .with the 177 cal.

Not in any way a caliber question lads but rather a pellet weight question.

I`ve shot exclusively with the light weight JSB Exact Express 4.52, 7.87 g pellets for nearly 4 years now and can't see me changing much after the successful trips I,ve had.

My question is - do any of you lads hunt with the JSB Heavies  10.34 g in .177 cal ?

I was watching a Vermin Hunters t.v. video recently and I was very impressed with the wallop/ tissue damage these particular pellets gave from sub/12 rifles at a shorter 25/ 30 yds on squirrel.

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never really gave the jsb heavies much barrel time in the 100 or r10 mark but the 100 bloody loved biz mags and thats all i fed her for a long time and they worked a treat. The 99 is more than happy

I dont think you can beat an hw100 mate, iv had plenty of different pcp's but only have them a few months then get ridd, iv had this hw100 kt  since new, about 2 years, before that i had a full length

use to use the heavies loads till I started shooting around livestock, used them and biz mags as both are good when your stretching the range! problem was pass throughs and ricochets .. not a pro

Posted Images

As you know Mark I have used AA express for some years now and can’t see me changing pellet in my Hw100kt . 
 I do use JSB heavies 10.3 gr pellet in my BSA ultra only because of the mags don’t like AA express , shame really because the gun is fantastic with AA express , but it works with the heavies just as good 

I watched the same vid but you put any pellet that suits your barrel in the right place = dead weather it light or heavy              
some think just because it heavy it’s going to kill better but I am afraid they are deluded 

• Like 1

Yep, with you there Mitch light or heavy weight pellet placed correctly :good: but the damage got my attention mate from a standard sub 12.

A 10.34 g won't get my attention trajectory wise but the damage caused really caught my eye and mind.

Just thought I`d put it out there lads. :hmm:

Just watched it again mark and no different to the damage from AA express and with the same side head shot 

yes the heavies are a great pellet and I use them on rabbits from my ultra , but once again it doesn’t kill any better than express  in my HW100K.   Heavy pellet is still going to wound a animal  if shot placement is not spot on

What ever suits your barrel and shot placement does the damage and not the weight 

Not using heavies as such, as in the shape but I’ve not moved from bizzy mags in my 100. There a touch heavier than the JSB @ 10.6... Thoughts... yeah, really good. Touch more drop course but to be expected.

Is it the weight side of things your on about Marko or the BC/shape of the heavies?

From what I gather, your little combo already does a fine job.

Just now, villaman said:

Mark is talking about tissue damage 

I see. Best get some clay blocks init and do some testing ? From the images you and marko do post, the tissue is well and truly damaged... even with the lighter pellet.  

• Like 1

light weight 177 pellets are best in 12 ft lbs guns you get you pellet speed near 800 ft per second flat fasts more like a fire arm  , In my life time shooting I once killed two rabbits with one shot from a 97k the pellet went through one rabbit and killed the one next to it that I did not see . If can get a little bit more energy at the piont impact with a 177 the pellet will go through the rabbit better ect and if you are trying to shoot at a longer range with a heavy pellet you have to start lobbing shots more . tissue damage I would think will come from a distorted pellet a soft light pellet will do that fine

Edited by barrywhite
  • Like 2

Hmmmm :hmm:, I certainly agree with all that's been said, maybe I`m listening to Si Pitterway and Davy too much in that video ?

Si Pitterway states that he's never seen a pellet do so much damage as a JSB Heavy at sub 12 level, .177 cal, that's why I asked the question is anyone using these pellets for hunting and your thoughts please.

Could anyone be kind enough to put the video link up please ?

Thank you.