.17 HMR Fox- heart or heart shot? Plus ammo.

3 hours ago, Alsone said:

The 35gr bullet is a little slower, but it's still flat and fast. It's interesting though that it's terminal destruction is pretty much the greatest I've seen from any .22 calibre and it's low recoil. Only swift and .22-250 come close. Then again Ackley always used to say velocity was the key. Now the splash issues are gone, it would be my go to choice of calibre if I had to choose a calibre in .22 (yep reclassifying it again here).

Forgive my ignorance on the subject but as I am reading up on such matters and learning here, I got the impression that .22-250 had more recoil than others in this group or is it me that has got that wrong.

Phil

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My advice is don't go for the head, put one across the ribs and it'll go down. Your Bobby hasn't seen my photos I guess re the 22! Never had a 22 bounce of a fox's head or heard of it, that'

I deal with a lot of foxes, and a lot in peoples back gardens. .22lr, HMR and WMR are all very capable of fox.    Of course there are times a C/F will prevail, but comments I hear regularly that

Make a mental note ................................................. look into fox calls. I am a retired old fart so expensive ammo is not on my hit list at all but if I use enough ammo to make i

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, philpot said:

Forgive my ignorance on the subject but as I am reading up on such matters and learning here, I got the impression that .22-250 had more recoil than others in this group or is it me that has got that wrong.

Phil

The 22 center fires don't really recoil much mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, philpot said:

Phil

Its about bullet weight and powder load, generally you will find 22-250 will recoil more than others in the group, but as SD said not a lot.

You are not chucking a 150g++++ bullet downrange with a 22-250.

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Alsone said:

I thought someone might pull me up on that. I know technically it isn't a .22, I tend to classify it as such because it's size and performance is so close to .22 CF. 

Well you are wrong so be quiet! ?

• Haha 2
On 17/01/2020 at 09:10, philpot said:

Phil

Phil, I think here's been a bit of a misreading of what I said, I'm talking about .204 being low recoil with only .22-250 and .220 swift coming close in terms of terminal performance.

• Thanks 1
On 17/01/2020 at 09:10, philpot said:

Phil

The more powder the more recoil Phil but as the bullets are light for all 22 rifles generally....the recoil isn't bad. No worse than a shotgun.

• Thanks 1

Gocha guys, I am getting there.

My trip to meet up with Si Brown was cancelled yesterday so the ' have a go ' with the .223 didn't come off but no doubt will another day however I think my mind is made up to go for a .223 for the foxes and use my .22lr on close up foxes. I have more or less given up on an hmr even though I do have a slot and they are cheap enough as I feel they are just not right and with all our perms being subject to wind ( Lincolnshire is bloody windy ) the hmr would be perhaps not right for me.

Phil

1 hour ago, philpot said:

My trip to meet up with Si Brown was cancelled yesterday so the ' have a go ' with the .223 didn't come off but no doubt will another day however I think my mind is made up to go for a .223 for the foxes and use my .22lr on close up foxes. I have more or less given up on an hmr even though I do have a slot and they are cheap enough as I feel they are just not right and with all our perms being subject to wind ( Lincolnshire is bloody windy ) the hmr would be perhaps not right for me.

Phil

Can't fault your decision mate ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, philpot said:

Phil

Excellent choice. 

4 hours ago, philpot said:

Phil

The HMR has somehow developed a reputation for wind issues, the .22lr is WORSE, so I don't get it!

Check out the Federal site you can compare the ammo!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Deker said:

The HMR has somehow developed a reputation for wind issues, the .22lr is WORSE, so I don't get it!

Check out the Federal site you can compare the ammo!

Yes I take your point Deker but my meaning was that I would want the hmr to be able to handle quarry out to 100-130mt which is possibly at a maximum for the cal on fox, the .22lr is not going to be asked to do that in the wind.

Phil

• Like 3
15 hours ago, philpot said:

Yes I take your point Deker but my meaning was that I would want the hmr to be able to handle quarry out to 100-130mt which is possibly at a maximum for the cal on fox, the .22lr is not going to be asked to do that in the wind.

Phil

Some people will hail the HMR with much further distance, I actually agree on 130 yards and I'm  easy up to that sort of distance with the HMR or WMR. If I know I'll be shooting further I take something bigger!

Wind is an issue with every calibre, some more than others, but the HMR has a wind drift issue that I personally think is a bit overdone!

Just the same, if you are in a particularly windy location and looking at medium,/long shots regularly, then perhaps a step up from HMR is a good idea!

• Like 5