On the rocks

6 minutes ago, spindolero said:

on a trip to Ireland met a lad that had rockpiles on his permission, he had out and out digging dogs and avoided the rocks, saying "you need a wanker that can dance like a cat"  lol

no offence intended, the phrase tickled me.

That’s exactly what my old mate says to me “ no good we them digging dogs tha wants a wanker like them of mine”

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some can go deep ABC this was 19m down

?

Had day out found new rock pile on place work a bit dogs was keen tryed my bitch she no rock dog , mates old bitch had look been about but not in , moved on had nice 4 foot dig to old bitch not often

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Any pics of your terriers that work them? Any particular strain better that others at it?

Not really got any pics of them terriers. They’re my mates he’s an old chap been breading them nearly 60 year nothing special just always bred of dogs that worked how they wanted them to. You’d struggle to pick a digging dog out of the lot of em. The black an tan in the picture isn’t amounting to much to be honest 

• Like 1

Reading this thread reminds me of good times sat above the rocks watching hounds just patiently sat waiting for a bolt and listening to the terrier moving about below baying away hassling a fox enough into bolting before the waiting pack.....then the cheering on and spine chilling doubling of the horn, then the sight of full pack in full cry launching themselves downhill.......wonderful memories

• Like 8
36 minutes ago, spindolero said:

on a trip to Ireland met a lad that had rockpiles on his permission, he had out and out digging dogs and avoided the rocks, saying "you need a wanker that can dance like a cat"  lol

no offence intended, the phrase tickled me.

Think I know the fella that said that lol

2 hours ago, justdigit said:

3 days digging with a 25 ton machine and took 2 days to back fill. Lifted some rock out the same size as a truck 

5118290F-301D-4C22-9A8B-5692D02241A9.jpeg

Wow that's crazy stuff! When your digging with the machine how do you keep up fast enough to find the tube again? I'm sure with moving the huge rocks with the machinery it has to mess things up and really slow it down.  Does this usually happen when using machinery and moving such huge rocks? 

6 minutes ago, Ace Boone coon said:

Wow that's crazy stuff! When your digging with the machine how do you keep up fast enough to find the tube again? I'm sure with moving the huge rocks with the machinery it has to mess things up and really slow it down.  Does this usually happen when using machinery and moving such huge rocks? 

The bitch had a locator collar on so we knew she was. I think the collar when flat after the first day so we just kept going on a bit of guess work and hard listening. I was laid in the bottom listening the end of the second day I could hear the bitch under where I was laid but couldn’t see her anywhere. We all decided it wasn’t safe to carry on as it had gone dark and the rain was washing the sides in so we lifted a big flat rock back in to cap it of over night. The next day we spent most the day cleaning out what had fallen in and making the sides safe for the men in the bottom. When we got back to where we was we where only a few feet away. Lifted a couple of rocks out with the sling and a lad managed to squeeze in and pull the bitch out that was stuck with her neck in a v between 2 rocks 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, justdigit said:

The bitch had a locator collar on so we knew she was. I think the collar when flat after the first day so we just kept going on a bit of guess work and hard listening. I was laid in the bottom listening the end of the second day I could hear the bitch under where I was laid but couldn’t see her anywhere. We all decided it wasn’t safe to carry on as it had gone dark and the rain was washing the sides in so we lifted a big flat rock back in to cap it of over night. The next day we spent most the day cleaning out what had fallen in and making the sides safe for the men in the bottom. When we got back to where we was we where only a few feet away. Lifted a couple of rocks out with the sling and a lad managed to squeeze in and pull the bitch out that was stuck with her neck in a v between 2 rocks 

fair play mate..got to be 300 + ton you shifted there..

that pic is giving me the shivers a bit though the back wall looks like a straight face in the pic and them lads standing at the toe of it..

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, justdigit said:

And was the quarry there...

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, king said:

fair play mate..got to be 300 + ton you shifted there..

that pic is giving me the shivers a bit though the back wall looks like a straight face in the pic and them lads standing at the toe of it..

To be honest I think the back wall was under cut so the top was over hanging if anything. The lad on machine that day touched all big rocks with bucket and was happy they where safe. I was on machine last day me and the bitches owner turned up couple of hour earlier than everyone else so I could pull it all back I wasn’t happy with men standing under it. And I say over a 1000 ton 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, stop.end said:

And was the quarry there...

No quarry. With how dodgy the hole was we didn’t spend any time looking. The pile had been open 2 night while digging so it could have come then and we left it open over night after we got the bitch so it could come before we backfilled. Seem to remember being able to smell it strongly half way up the dig on the second day but not the third

• Like 2
1 hour ago, justdigit said:

Wow!