Rabbit hunting

To be fair to the lad a 2p sized group @ 30 metres with a spring gun is not too shabby, assuming the pellets are shooting well in the rifle, a bit more practice should see an improvement and the magic 5p group achieved, I would suggest keeping to 20-25 yards as a maximum range at the moment, and working on field craft and stalking skills.

• Like 4

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read thread this thread when it started and thought you've been getting some good detailed advice so there was nothing l could add. Then l remembered what it was like when l had my first air ri

Not really, you would be better off using pellets.

Daniel hi. My apologies for the delay in catching up as I've been out of circulation with a health issue these last months. And thank you to Phil, Bigmac and Mark and all the lads who say such kind th

Posted Images

On 15/01/2020 at 17:06, Rabbiter12...2 said:

I was offered £250 for the axor but the postage would be £40.

i need to think it over though maybe make a decision at the weekend 

any thoughts?

D19892A1-46B2-4A79-89F5-FE9007B94768.jpeg

F2A8CCFD-535B-436D-BA55-BAB2783BBD8A.jpeg

ED451E15-BA71-4A50-841D-BB02A2081C65.jpeg

72878F92-ACC2-40AD-8D7C-8ED9C24B5FDC.jpeg

4881463C-44D1-43DF-829D-751A5D071D5B.jpeg

D833437C-5549-4AE4-8027-5A1B0B05B1FC.jpeg

That is one stunning bit of wood mate

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1

Daniel hi. My apologies for the delay in catching up as I've been out of circulation with a health issue these last months. And thank you to Phil, Bigmac and Mark and all the lads who say such kind things about my Springer shooting. It's a skill that has taken almost my lifetime to master to a high standard. But the skills are not beyond you capabilities if you are prepared to work hard with practice of a few sound principles that are tried and tested and proven to work. 

Well I had a Webley Excocet .22 a fair number of years ago. It was an accurate little rifle with Eley Wasps and I had great shooting with it. Specially in barns on the ferral pigeons!

But, it was really,  a junior air rifle and the none-adjustable trigger was its let down. And you will outgrow it. Also, the great Eley Wasp pellet is a thing of the past too. It's still available but, they are poor by the standards they used to be and I really cannot advise them anymore. 

So I would say for you, it's time for a new rifle. Or, if you wish to keep your Excocet, you can have it fitted with a Theoben type of gas ram. I had mine converted and it improved this fine little rifle no end. You might consider it seriously as your rifle will convert very well. 

But in all true honesty, I think you are going to outgrow it and a new, adult size spring rifle will allow you room to expand your skills.

Those are a matter of your personal taste and what you can afford but, always remember, you can buy a second hand spring rifle that's a world beater, for less than some cheap made stuff that frankly, will not satisfy your needs in the long run.

As to pellet choices; it is a trial and error process and it's costly. Good pellets are not cheap to buy. So buy top quality always because, these will show the results of exactly where your rifle is in terms of performance. 

I use Air Arms Diablo Field 5.52mm headsize in my .22 Prosport and H&N Field and Target Trophy .22 in the 5.53mm headsize in my Wiehrauch HW80 HW77 .22 rifles.

You can find the headsize of a pellet on the label on the reverse of the tin. This is very important info because a pellet can be close enough accurate but, the right headsize will match that pellet perfectly to your barrel and your accuracy potential will amaze you. 

Never let anyone tell you a spring or gas ram rifle is not as accurate as a PCP because I promise you, they are.

It is entirely in the way you hold and shoulder the rifle and release the trigger under your finger that the secret of outstanding shooting accuracy begins. 

Everything you do must be as relaxed and comfortable as you can make it. No gripping the stock tight in your hands or cramming the butt into your shoulder. And no snatching the trigger.

Hold it like it's a living creature and your shooting accuracy will start to really climb. 

A nice gentle rest at the shoulder. A comfortable, relaxed hold of the grip. Just enough to keep the rifle stable as your finger reaches the trigger. Never grip it or clasp it. You only need to hold it with the same pressure it takes to release the trigger and fire.

A nice comfortable, support of the friend with the flat of your leading hand or fore hand. 

That's all you need. Be comfortable in your chosen position. Comfortable in your aim, comfortable in your hold and control of the rifle. 

Some things to think about there for a start. 

The lads here are fantastic. They are true friends in this sport and anything you want to know, any problem you have, the advice will always be the very truth you need to know and nothing you don't!

All the best for now Daniel. Good shooting.

Pianoman/Simon

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Pleased your on the mend my friend

hope it was nothing serious Simon 

Hiya my dear friend.

It was a Diabetic ulcer flare-up in my right foot Jimmy. It became infected and for a while, it was possible I could lose my foot. However thank Christ, the doc cleared it up with pennicillin and anti biotics. It's fine now but, I have had to give up beer and all risk of anything sugary.

Lost a ton of weight though!

God bless you and love to you and Nicola 

Simon

• Like 2
1 minute ago, pianoman said:

Hiya my dear friend.

It was a Diabetic ulcer flare-up in my right foot Jimmy. It became infected and for a while, it was possible I could lose my foot. However thank Christ, the doc cleared it up with pennicillin and anti biotics. It's fine now but, I have had to give up beer and all risk of anything sugary.

Lost a ton of weight though!

God bless you and love to you and Nicola 

Simon

Im diabetic Simon and i watch my legs and feet all the time

its bad shit that illness

iv lost a lot of weight as well mate

tell helen im asking after her

and we will have to sort a week end out at yours or here at mine

Good to hear from you Simon, it has been quiet without your input mate. I like Jimmy am very pleased to hear that you are on the mend and like you two, I also am diabetic although so far not on tablets but not a great condition. 

Take good care of yourself Simon, I will pop down and see you again one day. 

Phil

• Like 1

Glad to hear you are good Simon and hope to hear from you regularly on here again my friend :good:.

When your foot is fully recovered please give that big fella and the old chap a kick for me  :rofl:  XX

Ditto to all said by the way.

Simon, your HW97K, .177 that I bought from you sends her love XX

Thank you mate she is every inch the rifle you said she is, just love her and the Endurance L4 scope.

atb mate, Mark.

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

• Thanks 1
On 26/01/2020 at 20:19, mark williams said:

Glad to hear you are good Simon and hope to hear from you regularly on here again my friend :good:.

When your foot is fully recovered please give that big fella and the old chap a kick for me  :rofl:  XX

Thank you mate she is every inch the rifle you said she is, just love her and the Endurance L4 scope.

atb mate, Mark.

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

Nice shooting!!!

• Like 1
On 26/01/2020 at 19:15, bigmac 97kt said:

Im diabetic Simon and i watch my legs and feet all the time

its bad shit that illness

iv lost a lot of weight as well mate

tell helen im asking after her

and we will have to sort a week end out at yours or here at mine

Thanks Jimmy mate.

It's bloody serious and I was really worried about my foot and sepsis infecting it.

Helen sends her love and we'll get together again when we can. That would be lovely. 

Best regards.

Simon and Helen. 

On 26/01/2020 at 20:19, mark williams said:

atb mate, Mark.

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

Thank you so much Mark. 

That rifle and scope was one of the very best set up combinations I have ever shot with. But like I said at the time, my Prosport and the HW80 and HW77 .22s are getting the attention they deserve on my permissions and here was a beautiful HW97 getting unused. 

I am truly delighted you have it now because you are the sort of  chap that deserves a fine rifle and she deserves you! 

You are getting really fantastic sport out of her and that's what she was built for. That Hawke Endurance scope is absolutely perfect for her. Alas, my eye is not as once it was and I cannot focus that lovely German post reticle and dot as once before. So it's side and front focusing scopes for me here onwards.

Keep on using her as well as you do because it really makes me happy to see her being used and so loved and looked after as I did.

All the best mate.

Simon. 

• Like 1