Sgc and required gp letter/merseyside police

I’m currently applying for my first sgc and have come across the required gp letter that HAS to be completed according to merseyside police website, can this just be sent to the doctor in a letter or do I have to make an appointment to hand this letter to my gp? Doing it first time so want to get it right I’ve tried looking it up but it varies a lot it seems on which police force.

thanks 

liam

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are entitled to your own medical records, they can’t refuse, but they can charge £10 I believe. Neither police or anyone else can withhold your medical records from you, they are your records and

At the end of the day it has nothing to do with public safety. That is a red herring to appease politicians, the general public and anti what every.  It's all a grand mitigation exercise because

Mine was £32.

1 hour ago, McKay said:

I’m currently applying for my first sgc and have come across the required gp letter that HAS to be completed according to merseyside police website, can this just be sent to the doctor in a letter or do I have to make an appointment to hand this letter to my gp? Doing it first time so want to get it right I’ve tried looking it up but it varies a lot it seems on which police force.

thanks 

liam

When I did mine I just took form in & left it with reception. They let you know once its done, you pay then once they get payment they send it off to police. But call the BASC number on the above links, that service wasn't available when I did my renewal. 

• Thanks 1

As usual basic are f useless.  It looks like plod can do as they please.  It would be interesting to see how much doctor's actually charge. It's a sort of combination attack on firearms owner. Taxation by the back door and reduce gun ownership. Some people won't bother renewing due to the cost and agro just like when plod made cabinets required. They're putting another layer of non acountable people in between you and the certificate. No one wants nutters to be issued but this is hidding behind a screen of nonsense.

It's strange how the shooting public are like sheep.  Everyone I have spoken to or read online is just not interested in how this is another snip at out rights. A sort of dumbing down and everyone sort of conforming, to do as we are told. Where does it all end, a sort of 1984 big brother knows best sort of thing?  On the count of three bend over and drop your trousers ?

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1

4 to 6 weeks !!!  No doubt it will cost you £10,0000 if they've got to spend that much time on checking if the biro has any ink in it.  How many doc's at your surgery? How often do you see the same one ?  How does any doctor know if you are going to go ape when you saw him about an in growing toe nail ?   Nonsense the lot of it.

I'd find out the fee up front and if if excessive, contact the BASC and find a doctor through them who'll do it for a lower fee. I don't know how it works but imagine they request remote access to your medical records most of which are electronic now.

I agree with the BASC's position that Firearms Licensing needs to become part of the General Doctor's Contract. Without this, certificate holders are going to be held to ransom for ever. 

• Like 1

I got lucky, my force (beds) contacted the doctor directly as I had a notifiable condition (history of depression) and the first I knew about it the police got in touch and told me they'd received the info from the doctors. Didn't have to pay a penny and it was done in like a week. One of them things I guess, usual post code lottery. Not to start an argument or debate but BASC were pretty useful to me when I applied for my SGC. Quickly responded to my questions but you need to be a member. 

4 hours ago, Mark_mjs93 said:

I got lucky, my force (beds) contacted the doctor directly as I had a notifiable condition (history of depression) and the first I knew about it the police got in touch and told me they'd received the info from the doctors. Didn't have to pay a penny and it was done in like a week. One of them things I guess, usual post code lottery. Not to start an argument or debate but BASC were pretty useful to me when I applied for my SGC. Quickly responded to my questions but you need to be a member. 

Basc offered me no help whatsoever,pissed me off that much I cancelled my membership just after renewal an got no refund,, post code lottery I guess ?

• Haha 1