Trail Cams.

What have you got, what do you like in a trail cam, and more so, what to avoid?  Got a farm that I shoot and ferret on, quite like the landowner, old style gent, one of the good'uns.  His farm machinery is being pilfered piece by piece, like someone is nicking for spares, so Trail Cams are going out to see if we can stem the pilfering.  So what are you using, what do you rate, and what's crap.   Thanks in advance. ?

Stealth cam G42NG

very reliable 

takes 8AA batteries 

i stick lithium’s in and boy they last. My temps are below zero, cam takes on average 1400 pics a week. Stuck batteries in mid sept and come mid December still at 85%
you can also buy a metal box for the cam so it wont get robbed

i cant recommend these cams enough 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

Stealth cam G42NG

very reliable 

takes 8AA batteries 

i stick lithium’s in and boy they last. My temps are below zero, cam takes on average 1400 pics a week. Stuck batteries in mid sept and come mid December still at 85%
you can also buy a metal box for the cam so it wont get robbed

i cant recommend these cams enough 

Thanks Ted, I'll swat up on them now, cheers again.

• Like 1

I have a lot of different makes and models and find these ones great value for money, plus if your trying to catch thief’s they have black led,s instead of red so won’t give their precence away to any criminals, they do a single snapshot before  a short video which is good as the video mode on most cams is slower to trigger than stills, plus for the money it won’t hurt to much if you lose one ???the very best one I have is a browning strike force but at £150 a pop it hurts when you loose one so now I just buy the digit now ones and don’t worry to much were I put them ??

3290DAFC-E6BB-481A-B4A7-BAC5B865DBD6.png

• Like 3

The problem I have found is the trigger time is usually too slow, I’ve got the back end of a few motors going through places they shouldn’t be, need a quick trigger time and no red lights to give the position away.

• Like 1

I can second Greyman's recommendation for the Digicam. I was dubious about them having seen some of the footage online;-  Is it a mouse or moose? sort of thing. But I've had good results with the one I have and to answer Rabid's post; this model takes a photo and then fires up the video cam and you can select the side facing sensors as well as the front one. No red light either.

Best thing is I can rent the camera out to people with rodent problems so it will pay for itself and more.

But for the OP I would suggest that one of the trail-cams that sends photos via a SIM card would be better as then if the camera is detected by the thief the evidence won't be lost.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Greyman said:

I have a lot of different makes and models and find these ones great value for money, plus if your trying to catch thief’s they have black led,s instead of red so won’t give their precence away to any criminals, they do a single snapshot before  a short video which is good as the video mode on most cams is slower to trigger than stills, plus for the money it won’t hurt to much if you lose one ???the very best one I have is a browning strike force but at £150 a pop it hurts when you loose one so now I just buy the digit now ones and don’t worry to much were I put them ??

3290DAFC-E6BB-481A-B4A7-BAC5B865DBD6.png

Was looking at these on ebay, for the very reason you said, it would get personal if they stole the expensive ones. lol  Cheers for your input G.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Nicepix said:

I can second Greyman's recommendation for the Digicam. I was dubious about them having seen some of the footage online;-  Is it a mouse or moose? sort of thing. But I've had good results with the one I have and to answer Rabid's post; this model takes a photo and then fires up the video cam and you can select the side facing sensors as well as the front one. No red light either.

Best thing is I can rent the camera out to people with rodent problems so it will pay for itself and more.

But for the OP I would suggest that one of the trail-cams that sends photos via a SIM card would be better as then if the camera is detected by the thief the evidence won't be lost.

Nice one, good intel, cheers.