Slow footballers

I got sucked into YouTube tonight, watching loads of old football shit...and had a thought..

Watched some of Berbatovs best moments, he was a class act, but could he play in today's game as he played at such a slow pace... le tissier, sheringham, cantona...maybe even Bergkamp..... in my book some of my favourite players, but could they play in today's pace?

Edited by NEWKID

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish people would stop talking in initials its not give us a clue just say their name for f**k sake !.....talking to a pal of mine at the game last night he said we desperately need a " CDM "......s

I'm the same in pubs, I end up watching it again the next day as you miss most of it... I think in the stands you see the whole picture, I remember watching Rooney in a game against Arsenal in th

kanes movement and  awareness in postioning  around the box makes him one of the best strikers in europe if not the best i  cant think of a team that wouldnt have him like or loath him he is best /mos

16 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Yes, definitely, the top, top players always seem to have that extra bit of time on the ball.

Cheers, D.

I get that mate, and sort of agree, but you look at how Liverpool, City, Leicester are playing now the ball is never slowed down, it is moved so quickly from defence to attack its unreal...

I just wonder how they would fit into the style of these top teams... 

39 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I get that mate, and sort of agree, but you look at how Liverpool, City, Leicester are playing now the ball is never slowed down, it is moved so quickly from defence to attack its unreal...

I just wonder how they would fit into the style of these top teams... 

true mate, look at some of the great George Best , pele , world class players , but if you really watch them they play at slower pace, ok they adapt to the game there in which is true , but i alway thought would they shine as bright in our fast game of today, even my team the WOLVES  , have to adapt to  the premier  league ,  and it fast pace football on the highest level , not the Spanish/ Portugal  time on the ball stuff  that few of our players  came from . good post mate :thumbs:

There's a lot of very, very good players in the Prem but how many are really "special" in the Thierry Henry, Alan Shearer, Christiano Ronaldo type mould?  De Bruyne, Mane, Kane, not too many others.

Cheers, D.

10 minutes ago, dytkos said:

There's a lot of very, very good players in the Prem but how many are really "special" in the Thierry Henry, Alan Shearer, Christiano Ronaldo type mould?  De Bruyne, Mane, Kane, not too many others.

Cheers, D.

yep   great players, De Bruyne      and David Silva   both  world class players   , even old bully ( steve bull )  had bit of pace , like kane knew where the net was .lol

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, bird said:

yep   great players, De Bruyne      and David Silva   both  world class players   , even old bully ( steve bull )  had bit of pace , like kane knew where the net was .lol

He wasn't a bad player by any means but to speak if him in the same sentence as Kane, need to take your rose  tinted specs to Specsavers ? No offence mate.

Cheers, D.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, dytkos said:

Cheers, D.

Aguero should be on that list , van dijjk aswell probably 

5 hours ago, timmytree said:

Might it be to do with the fact that old players had a soggy, heavy wet leather ball compared to the lightweight beachball todays pouffs kick around? Light boots and they can just fall over to get the game stopped and earn a penalty. I hate football, a game for gentleman but played by thugs and grannyshaggers. Take away the money and play as amateurs and watch a better game altogether although I'd still rather watch an allotment rotavating competition on a wet and windy sunday with a hangover and my piles popped out.

Not a football fan i take it 

8 hours ago, NEWKID said:

I got sucked into YouTube tonight, watching loads of old football shit...and had a thought..

Watched some of Berbatovs best moments, he was a class act, but could he play in today's game as he played at such a slow pace... le tissier, sheringham, cantona...maybe even Bergkamp..... in my book some of my favourite players, but could they play in today's pace?

I dont know about Cantona,Le Tiss,Berbatov etc but being the same type of players i think they would probably be the same......but in his own words Teddy Sheringham simply didnt work hard enough to be a top player in todays game....he just didnt have the speed or the engine to hunt in packs,chase back in rigid formations and do the work off the ball that your Vardy/Lacazette types do today.

• Like 1

I don’t think you can drop Bergkamp into that list, I don’t think he was slow at all.....I think he had so much ability that it just looked like he had more time than he actually did (if that makes sense)

The perfect example is my favourite goal ever against Argentina, for anybody else in the world that ball is travelling too fast at a bad angle and go’s for a goal kick, but not for Bergkamp.

Controlled, beat defender and far top corner with the outside of the boot all in a split second......

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, WILF said:

I don’t think you can drop Bergkamp into that list, I don’t think he was slow at all.....I think he had so much ability that it just looked like he had more time than he actually did (if that makes sense)

The perfect example is my favourite goal ever against Argentina, for anybody else in the world that ball is travelling too fast at a bad angle and go’s for a goal kick, but not for Bergkamp.

Controlled, beat defender and far top corner with the outside of the boot all in a split second......

I did hesitate on Bergkamp mate....as I'm still unsure on how quick he was, the game was just played at his pace...brilliant!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, dytkos said:

Tbf a lot of top players are one step ahead mentally anyway so it would just take the game to yet another level imo. But what do I know? ?

Cheers, D.

That's what set these players apart at the time, they saw the picture quicker than anyone else... but I was watching games from 20 years ago and realising how much faster today's game is...

Le Tissier is a good example, an absolute genius with the ball at his feet, but would he even get a touch in today's game?

Oh, and you know more than enough mate...you've been around long enough!! Lol

• Haha 2